Emulation

Here is a pretty decent guide to DOSbox keymapping that you can add to the OP.

http://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html#KeyMapper

I was poking around on some old games today and it's really simple to get your controller to work

just hit ctrl F1 when you first start Dos Box and it loads up a keymapper.

Then hit the key you want to set like the left arrow key for example. It will highlight it then click add and then hit the button on the controller you want it to be bound too.

Basic loading of game.

1. Mount your drive with this command

mount c c:\oldgames (you want to mount the directory that you are going to be loading from, you can't browse around)

2. Then change to the mounted drive by typing c:

3. Change directories to the folder with your game like this

cd oldgames

4. Run the bat file to start the game by just typing in it's name and everything will load up!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I use Gameboid, SNESoid, and FPse (PS1 emu). Pretty sure the same dude has NESoid and N64oid too. You won't find the APKs on Google though, I had to get them from slideme.org.

Can't imagine playing anything other than SRPGs on a different phone than mine (Xperia Play) though. Touch controls suck ass.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I downloaded most of the sets for the older systems off of kat.ph and the individual ones for the newer systems off of the normal ROM sites.

xrg

Golden Squire
I started building my own Hyperspin Cabinet last year, although I had to put it on hold for the time being due to moving homes and having a kid, but hoping to finish it by this summer. Went with 4 player which is the unpopular choice, but I have alot of people round and a retro TMNT and Simpsons arcade session would be awesome. Ignore the shitty pictures, its round my parents as they had the outdoor space to build it so I don't get cancer from breathing in the MDF dust.
What is the cost of building something like this roughly? I've never built anything like that but was thinking about doing it as a learning project.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
If you haven't played Super Mario RPG and it exists... Do it immediately. Other SNES RPGS which are amazing: Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Bluestacks crashes a lot with the stuff I've tried and I lose progress when it does, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it yet.

Also some games like Rage of Bahamut show up in a window even more narrow than an actual phone with no way to zoom (that I could be fucked to try to find anyway - a few GIS and I still can't even find so much as a command list or a shred of documentation)

Having trouble finding info for a problem I'm having with nullDC. Running windows 7 and the Gauntlet Legends cdi I'm trying to load, loads to the music cd screen.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Necroing this thread because I've been sick for the past week and bored out of my mind when I felt too shitty to sit at my computer. I discovered thatPPSSPPhas made massive improvements in the past year. I had given up on ever emulating the PSP well, since the Java emulator was a giant turd and PPSSPP didn't seem like it was going anywhere.

Currently, you can emulate most games well enough to play through them fully. Especially the popular ones, since people go out of their way to make fixes for them. It's not just PC either, I am currently about halfway through Persona 3 Portable on my phone and it runs the game at 100% speed and almost flawlessly even though I am rendering it at my phone's native 1080p resolution, with texture filtering and postprocessing on, etc. It looks better than it ever did on a real PSP, that's for certain. (My phone is a HTC Droid DNA, so YMMV performance-wise.) Tactics Ogre is the only other game I've tried on the phone so far, and it appears to run fine too. The two games prefer different versions of the emulator though, P3P likes the stable release version on Google Play, while Tactics Ogre: LUCT has nasty audio glitches on anything but the bleeding edge devbuild that you have to sideload.

On my PC, I've gotten a bunch more running without any trouble so far--Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Jeanne d'Arc, 3rd Birthday, etc. I only use thedevbuildthere, as every game seems to run better with it. Jeanne d'Arc is the only one with potential issues, since the renderer for that game requires a feature that is only found in OpenGL 3.x and that rules out a lot of PC GPUs and nearly every phone/tablet on the market. Sucks, since that's another game I think I could actually play on the phone using touch screen controls, as opposed to needing the gamepad on my PC to control effectively. Turn-based JRPGs and SRPGs are about the only things that fit the bill there.

Anyway, people interested in PSP games but not enough to actually buy a silly handheld should give it a shot. It's vastly better than I thought it would be, and it will definitely hold me over until Sony pulls their head out of their ass and releases the VitaTV in North America.

xrg

Golden Squire
Rise from your grave!

I've been playing with Retroarch and figured it was worth posting about; especially for anyone else with a HTPC type setup. It's an absolute pain in the ass to configure, but is pretty slick when you do. They take Open Source emulators strip them of their UI and stuff, and then hook them all up to their libretro API. So basically you can have Mupen64Plus, PPSSPP, MAME, and Nestopia, but they have thesame UIso to speak, which you can navigate with a controller.

The most impressive thing about it is probably the shaders/overlays you can run. I usually runwithout the Game Boy border, but with borders looks impressive in screenshots (click for full-size to see what the shader does):

Examples of crts, lcds, and other things it can do:
QpAL47D.png

S3uKwVy.png

Ny41eqW.png

Note: This one isn't mine but shows how far some people go with it:
3s1UTUq.jpg

Also I use Emulation Station as a front-end. It's not as flashy as others, but comes with a content scraper and is easy to configure/use (it also works on Linux, which is the OS I run).
P5nytQnl.png

l6eUy3Dl.png

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Have a ps1 and n64 emulator for android (s5) that I use paired with otg cable and wired ps4 controller. Also works with 99.9% of the older console emulators, seems like instant response time as well. Certain games can be tricky to configure the inputs but usually you can save the specific config once you have how you want.

xrg

Golden Squire
I thought about getting a Raspberry Pi -- what all systems is it strong enough to do?