Emulation

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a Raspberry Pi 1.0 B+ I think, so not the newest revision (which is better).

Right now it runs everything up to N64 flawlessly, where N64 runs but fairly terribly. I've heard the 2.0's run it much better. I can also run PSX on it pretty well.

Only problems are a few games, notably Starfox for SNES - because that game used the FX chip which we obviously don't have. Everything else is great.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Think I'm going to pick up a Raspberry Pi 2 and throw Emulation Station on it. I can just use my laptop which is also attached to the TV but this seems more convenient.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Raspberry Pi2 was well worth the money for how convenient it all is once it's setup properly.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Think I'm going to pick up a Raspberry Pi 2 and throw Emulation Station on it. I can just use my laptop which is also attached to the TV but this seems more convenient.
Sure you could just use your laptop.. or you could look like a fuckin badass when people come over and see that tiny little box hooked up to the TV.

The only pain is getting certain controllers to work (requires configuration, finding out how the buttons enumerate, etc).

My advice if you go this route is get/use two decent controllers and never plan to change them. I use two PS3 controllers, but if you don't have those xbox controllers work too.

xrg

Golden Squire
Only problems are a few games, notably Starfox for SNES - because that game used the FX chip which we obviously don't have. Everything else is great.
I'm using bsnes which runs Star Fox (as well as the entire commercial SNES library), but system requirements might be too steep for a Raspberry Pi.This sitehas a emulator comparison chart for accuracy and various other info.

Either way, Star Fox isn't a big deal. I mostly just want one to be able to take to friends to play party games and shit. Not like they cost much anyway.

Tenks

Sure you could just use your laptop.. or you could look like a fuckin badass when people come over and see that tiny little box hooked up to the TV.

The only pain is getting certain controllers to work (requires configuration, finding out how the buttons enumerate, etc).

My advice if you go this route is get/use two decent controllers and never plan to change them. I use two PS3 controllers, but if you don't have those xbox controllers work too.
Yeah I already own two DS3 I was planning on using. Maybe I'll hook up my GH3 controller and beat Chrono Trigger with a guitar to impress all yall nerds.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Im only impressed by the guy that has beaten the souls game using the guitar hero controller

I'm using bsnes which runs Star Fox (as well as the entire commercial SNES library), but system requirements might be too steep for a Raspberry Pi.This sitehas a emulator comparison chart for accuracy and various other info.

Either way, Star Fox isn't a big deal. I mostly just want one to be able to take to friends to play party games and shit. Not like they cost much anyway.
Yeah every once in awhile I find a game that's acting weird, but it could always be the ROM.

I upgraded to a 32GB SD card so I have every single game ever made on there through the 16-bit era.

xrg

Golden Squire
I use "No-Intro" roms for carts. They take the best known dump of each cart and don't have duplicates, homebrew, or hacks mixed in. Archive.org has the no-intro sets so you don't even have to go to shady places to get them.

For disc systems I use "Redump" roms.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll check it out. Right now I just torrented a dump of every rom, but there's multi-versions packed in (JP, US, EU, etc).

Siliconemelons

I just wanna make a super awesome stand up arcade machine with atari2600, NES and SNES stuff in it...that would be so cool

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just wanna make a super awesome stand up arcade machine with atari2600, NES and SNES stuff in it...that would be so cool
People do that for the raspberry pi stuff as well (check our /r/retropie, /r/raspberrypi)

A lot of people do the bartop arcade setup, where it's just a mini arcade top that sits on top of your bar. Wiring a custom controller isn't hard either, if you like the classic arcade sticks.

Tenks

So this was a tad more of a pain in the ass than I had hoped since all the step-by-step guides seem horribly out of date. But I have EmulationStation/RetroPie up and running on my Pi2 now. It was actually quite simple once you knew the menus you needed to go into.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
My roommate and I are going to start building an aracde esque setup in our place. We were originally looking at doing an arcade table but it seems so impractical to have the screen in the table and then you've got to stand up and stare downward whenever you want to play it.

Either way, we got our Raspberry Pi 2 today, going to work on getting retro going on it etc while we have the arcade parts in the mail.

Tenks

It is still a bit crazy to think you can have all NES, SNES, N64, Genesis and more games all able to be played and ran on this tiny little 4x2 board

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Tenks how is yours setup? What are you using for controls etc? Did you add or modify anything or just use a Raspberry Pi and plug in some controllers?

Tenks

I just threw EmulationStation iso onto the micro SD. Plugged everything in (a DS3 and a keyboard) and ran some setup stuff. EmulationStation is pretty good at auto detecting your controller you just have to configure it first run. It wasn't that hard. Like I said it was just everything was out of date so I didn't know where the menus were and what was done automatically now. I didn't modify the Pi at all.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I did it before where you had to edit retroarch.cfg for every type of controller. The EmulationStation would autodetect, but each emulator wouldn't recognize it. Maybe they've updated it since.

The guides range from awful to great, depending on where you go.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
If you know of a great guide already you should post it here to save us from finding out they suck the hard way.

Tenks

This one was OK.

Installing RetroPie/EmulationStation onto Raspberry Pi 2 Model B+ (Playstation 1 Emulator Included!)

But what they don't tell you is easily how to get to the places you want to go. So I'll give you the Tenks tl;dr version:

-Download Emulation Station (whatever Raspberian is we don't need it I think)
-->RetroPie Downloads | petRockBlog
-Format the SD card and transfer using the tools highlighted in the above link (I tried to drop N drop in Windows and it didn't work)
-Turn it on with an ethernet cable, HDMI, keyboard and a controller all plugged in
-EmulationStation will have you config the controller automatically
-Do the step of configure Raspi-Config. What he doesn't say is how to get there.
-->From Emulation Station ribbon go to the retropie item
-->There is a menu option here of run Raspi-Config (its about 3/4 the way down)
-->Click that. You can do all this with a controller but having a keyboard hooked up is way easier.
-->Follow the steps provided
-Install RetroPie/Emulation station. Again he doesn't say.
-->It is the menu option right below Raspi-Config in the retropie option
-There is a menu option in Retropie that tells you the IP address. No need to do it via terminal. pi / raspberry is the username and password for access.
-At this point I was done. I didn't need to manually edit anything else. Just drop directories in the appropriate rom area (/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/[system]) via the WinSCP terminal.