Enemy (2013)

supertouch_sl

shitlord
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Enemy (2013)

Tagline: You can’t escape Yourself!

Genre: Thriller, Mystery

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Mélanie Laurent, Sarah Gadon, Isabella Rossellini, Joshua Peace, Tim Post, Kedar Brown, Megan Mane, Misha Highstead, Alexis Uiga, Darryl Dinn, Kiran Friesen, Loretta Yu, Stephen R. Hart, Paul Stephen

Release: 2013-12-31

Runtime: 91

Plot: A mild-mannered college professor discovers a look-alike actor and delves into the other man's private affairs.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Last_Action_Hero_Coverart.png

nein.....he was Arnold Braunschweiger

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Just gave this a watch, either it was completely over my head (and brilliant) or its a horrible movie, im not quite sure which.

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
The ending of this movie will hit you like a ton of bricks. I loved the movie, wife hated it. Lots of subtleties in this movie.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Just watched this today. It was good. Reminds me of a Lynch movie with all the symbolism and the puzzle nature of the plot.

Szlia

NB: By Denis Villeneuve, who also made Prisoners, based on a book by portuguese literature Nobel price recipient Jos? Saramago.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Saw it. Fucking hate that filter on everything. I 100% understand why it's there and it works well, but fuck just watching the screen makes me want to blow my brains out.

Pretty good, wish there was a bit more resolution, but I'm sure that's just the point.

Heckler_sl

shitlord
Just watched it after it being recommended to me by the Red Letter Media guys, and I really liked it. The ending indeed hit my like a ton of bricks, and while I kind of got the gist of what the movie was trying to say after just watching it, there were certain elements, the ended theme included, that weren't made clear until I had someone explain it directly to my face. If you haven't yet, watch the other movie by this director as well, it being Prisoners. It stars Gyllenhaal as well, and he does an equally amazing job in it too.

iannis

Musty Nester
I suppose he's the new David Lynch? The atmosphere of this movie was fantastic, but I can't help like feeling the entire thing was just an intellectual exercise. Something about the pacing combined with the... it's hard to say exactly what my complaint is, but I do have a very real complaint about the movie. Obviously the characters are surreal, the entire movie is, but the mix was irritating. Just irritating. I guess that's what the Redletter guys meant when they said, "Anxious". That's a kind way to phrase it, but "irritating" is more truthful, to me. You can watch it being constructed around you which is almost always a negative attribute or incompetence... but he turns that to an advantage. Somehow.

I have to admit it was a good movie. I didn't care for it a great deal... but you know, I don't think I was supposed to. And that's not a sophomoric artsy excuse. It was pointed. It is an artsy movie, but in the good way.

Yeah. Good movie. And even with the filter it was beautiful while bleak.

I think Dennis converted himself a fanboy.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Well acted, well shot, didn't get it, didn't care.

I guess I would give it a recommendation?

I have to admit it was a good movie. I didn't care for it a great deal... but you know, I don't think I was supposed to.
Seems accurate?

iannis

Musty Nester
I guess my complaint really was that

It's a film that obviously wants you to think about it, but not a story which bears close scrutiny. There's barely a story, honestly, the film is 98% atmosphere and timbre. The way that he's set up and three distinct, concurrent versions of the movie within itself is great. A structural feat. But there are nodes, there are going to be intersections, there have to be intersections, where one version must be favored over another.

Ultimately, take a movie like Primer. One the first viewing of that movie it is largely incomprehensible. You need a flowchart to understand the plot but it is ultimately comprehensible. That is a also a real feat of structure, that structure mimicing the subject matter. With this one... and it's because of three scenes where those story nodes happened and he refused to favor... ultimately it's incomprehensible. "Chaos is understanding unordered" is a very good opening quote, but he failed to meet that obligation.

If the final scene had ended in anything except a sigh... I'd actually be insulted. But it makes me think that he's aware that this is, ultimately, indulgent gibberish. And I'm sure the spider-bodysnatcher theory has got to be one of his favorites.

You wait that entire movie for that sigh. The movie ends with a jump scare. That's fucking wonderful.

But I can't imagine watching it again. Ultimately it's just hollow. But then again, he's painting the picture of a hollow man. I guess that's how he manages to turn what would otherwise be extreme weakness into an advantage.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, I skimmed it and it seems about what I took from it as well.

The problem is that the review seems to cherrypick, even so. And don't get me wrong, I agree with him. But. For example, that reviewer says, "How would actor jake know where to find history jake? It doesn't matter, because..."

Except we're directly shown a scene where it explained to us EXACTLY how actor jake found history jake, a scene which mirrors the previous one. It is literal. And this is a movie where no image, symbol, sound, or inflection is accidental or wasted. But he's gonna waste an entire scene? To pad out the runtime? No, to misdirect. But the purpose is only to misdirect. He refuses to choose. That's one of the nodes I was talking about. Yeah, it doesn't matter. Except it does matter because he's gone out of his way to show us that it matters. Either every frame matters or none of it does.

That's not the fault of the reviewer, but you do have to gloss over what happened in order to make a coherent point about what happened in those three places where the writer/director is just being an intentionally obtuse dick. It's just not perfect is all. And i'm angry as hell about it.

That sigh man. It made the entire movie for me. The entire fucking movie can be explained with that sigh. And I think that's just great.

Caliane

Wasn't a fan of the movie.
Maybe its just not an emotion I've experienced so don't "get" it.
but, watching this, and the reviews, I feel like, if you HAVE to use an interview the director to explain the fucking spiders, and the point of the movie, then the director fucked up.

I shouldn't need outside material to give context to your movie.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They all live unknowingly in a totalitarian regime controlled by gigantic space spiders. That's the reason the private club with the lady stepping on spiders was so taboo/lewd for everyone, even if it was just subconsciously. The plot with the doubles is just one of the many irrelevant stories occurring in a city controlled by gigantic space spiders.

Thinking about it the day after I like it even less than when I finished it. I tend to have a soft spot for films that are slow and odd but this one just didn't have enough going on.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database