Enemy (2013)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I skimmed it and it seems about what I took from it as well.

The problem is that the review seems to cherrypick, even so. And don't get me wrong, I agree with him. But. For example, that reviewer says, "How would actor jake know where to find history jake? It doesn't matter, because..."

Except we're directly shown a scene where it explained to us EXACTLY how actor jake found history jake, a scene which mirrors the previous one. It is literal. And this is a movie where no image, symbol, sound, or inflection is accidental or wasted. But he's gonna waste an entire scene? To pad out the runtime? No, to misdirect. But the purpose is only to misdirect. He refuses to choose. That's one of the nodes I was talking about. Yeah, it doesn't matter. Except it does matter because he's gone out of his way to show us that it matters. Either every frame matters or none of it does.

That's not the fault of the reviewer, but you do have to gloss over what happened in order to make a coherent point about what happened in those three places where the writer/director is just being an intentionally obtuse dick. It's just not perfect is all. And i'm angry as hell about it.

That sigh man. It made the entire movie for me. The entire fucking movie can be explained with that sigh. And I think that's just great.
We're past the cutoff, I ain't spoiling shit bros

I don't think it was misdirection, I think it is meant to show the dual nature of this guy, or every guy really. When he is with his pregnant spider-alien queen wife, he wants out, he is trapped. When he is out, he wants in. History Jake is fascinated by Actor Jake and his life. Finding him was part of that. The 'how' or him finding Actor Jake doesn't matter as much as the 'why', but the 'how' is there, and even that is entwined with the story in the sex club bit. Hell, even the idea of him being an actor is symbolic.

I do agree, though, about the sigh, Perfect ending for this movie. I have no desire to really rewatch this movie, where I always rewatch Lynch movies, so I don't know if maybe I just got it and that's it or if that means the movie doesn't hold up, idk.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I did find the scene of the gigantic spider slowly walking through Toronto to be chilling. Something about it stuck in my noodle more than any of the other crap including the ending. The only thing I could think of with the ending was "why does she look scared?" Even the opening wasn't very effective. We are way past the time where you need a secret Eyes Wide Shut style club if you want to watch women in stiletto heels squish things.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Great film.

Still not sure if he was 2 people or 1.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I still think the story is about a society living under the control of inter dimensional giant spiders that hide just below conscious perception.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
coJzyPTkSp4RMRGdgE7pXmJbCiG.jpg

Title: Enemy

Tagline: You can’t escape Yourself!

Genre: Thriller, Mystery

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Mélanie Laurent, Sarah Gadon, Isabella Rossellini, Joshua Peace, Tim Post, Kedar Brown, Megan Mane, Misha Highstead, Alexis Uiga, Darryl Dinn, Kiran Friesen, Loretta Yu, Stephen R. Hart, Paul Stephen

Release: 2013-12-31

Runtime: 91

Plot: A mild-mannered college professor discovers a look-alike actor and delves into the other man's private affairs.