Engagement rings

lindz

#DDs
I've never asked how much my ring cost and I don't want to know. I know my husband spent a sizeable amount on it, it is a really nice quality ring but honestly all that has ever mattered to me is how pretty it is and the sentimental value of it. I have absolutely no idea how many carats it is either, don't care. I would care however if it wasn't a diamond. To me the diamond is just part of the tradition. Call me old fashioned but the white dress, the diamond ring, my father (and mother in my case!) walking me down the aisle is all important to me. I had a relatively small wedding, but it was still very traditional (sans church) and the diamond ring is part of that.

As far as style, color of band is easy. Buy the color that she wears. My husband's family kept telling him to buy me a platinum band but I wear gold so he insisted even though all the jewelers were trying to tell him platinum was better. Style I think is determined a lot by age. I was 19 when we were engaged so I liked a simple solitaire whereas someone older might prefer something more intricate. The cut really matters, make sure to get a cut the accentuates the sparkle. That is the thing I like most about my ring. It is set high and with the cut, there is a ton of sparkle.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I would care however if it wasn't a real diamond. To me the diamond is just part of the tradition.
Gentlemen, exhibit A: The result of good marketing. Diamonds weren't used commonly until the 1930s when DeBeers launched a massive marketing campaign to usurp tradition. A few decades later and now a shit-gem is an irreplaceable part of a naive bride's concept of tradition.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...st_friend.html

It takes an enormous amount of rational thought and information for one so tricked by marketing to arrive to the correct conclusion that diamonds are overpriced carbon and unnecessary to a good wedding/marriage but if you're the one whose wallet bears the load of engagement and whose wife's finger will hold a gem for hopefully her entire life it's a worthwhile task to lift the veil of ignorance from your betrothed.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Gentlemen, exhibit A: The result of good marketing.
People who buy moissanite gems are just as susceptible to marketing than buyers of diamonds; they just have vastly less coin to buy nice things, so they rationalize buying inferior products.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Spent a total of like $850 on engagement ring (pearl) / wedding band for my wife and she loves both of them. Fuck diamonds, what a scam.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My wife picked out her own ring, I want to say at Sam's. She gets complimented on it regularly. She seems happy with it, and that's all I care about.

That said, we've been married almost 9 years, and she's mentioned several times about upgrading it. Fucking retarded.

lindz

#DDs
Regardless of the effect of marketing, the diamond engagement ring is a tradition in our culture.

Are you opposed to a white wedding dress as well?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You have to start with the stone. Then go from there. My wife wanted an Aquamarine for a few reasons: 1) It's her birth stone 2) It made her ring different.

If you do a bit of googling you'll find that people (in the mainstream) don't always go with diamonds as the main stone. Once you get that down, there are tons of different styles you can go with. My wife really likes antique-y old-fashioned type of stuff. I had a friend of the family, who was a jeweler, help me find the perfect setting. Then you can combine the two.

rrr_img_15107.jpg

rrr_img_15107.jpg

lindz

#DDs
You have to start with the stone. Then go from there. My wife wanted an Aquamarine for a few reasons: 1) It's her birth stone 2) It made her ring different.

If you do a bit of googling you'll find that people (in the mainstream) don't always go with diamonds as the main stone. Once you get that down, there are tons of different styles you can go with. My wife really likes antique-y old-fashioned type of stuff. I had a friend of the family, who was a jeweler, help me find the perfect setting. Then you can combine the two.

rrr_img_15107.jpg
That is a gorgeous ring. Well done!

rrr_img_15107.jpg

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
everyone knows the best gem is the Peridot.

but seriously, if you insist on having a wife that demands a 10k+ Ring from you, don't get shared bank accounts.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Regardless of the effect of marketing, the diamond engagement ring is a tradition in our culture.

No, sorry, a diamond engagement ring is a tradition in our culture BECAUSE of marketing. Not regardless of it. Did you not read the article? Prior to the 1930's and 1940's diamond engagement rings were not overly common. Women were given engagementthimbles. I'm not saying that you're money grubbing for wanting a diamond engagement ring, don't get me wrong. But you have bought in to a cultural meme whose origins can pretty precisely be traced back to a marketing campaign undertaken by a pretty fucking awful company.

I'm not opposed to white wedding dresses, but I don't really give a shit what color a bride chooses to wear. Apparently that particular tradition was started by Queen Victoria in 1840:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_wedding

Prior to the Victorian era, brides wore pretty much any color other than black (mourning) or red (whores).

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The ring is good opportunity to test the woman; tell her straight up that you are buying a zircon/moissanite and that you're saving money by doing so, because nobody but a jeweler can tell the difference. If she wants the diamond just because of the money investment for you, then you know what you're getting into. If she wants to save money and realizes the end product is what matters... you might have a keeper.

Someoneelse_sl

shitlord
I say stop at a few local "smaller" jewelry stores, some that have been in your town for a while and compare prices between those and a store like Jared's, Kay, etc... the local shop in my town is a lot cheaper than the big stores. Plus they answer questions, without trying to shove something down your throat. I've been in a few big stores and it was like walking into a shark tank.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Only on the grounds that it's a silly to wear white JUST because it's tradition. My wife wore black to the wedding.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The ring is good opportunity to test the woman; tell her straight up that you are buying a zircon/moissanite and that you're saving money by doing so, because nobody but a jeweler can tell the difference. If she wants the diamond just because of the money investment for you, then you know what you're getting into. If she wants to save money and realizes the end product is what matters... you might have a keeper.
And as we all know, testing your significant other is the foundation of any healthy relationship

Heylel

Trakanon Raider

I'm not opposed to much of anything when it comes to tradition, but I also don't blindly follow them. Diamonds are an industrial product that shines up nicely. They're not even especially rare, and certainly much more common than rubies and sapphires. Even setting aside alternatives like cubic zirconia and moissanites, synthetic diamonds can be made absolutely flawless in the lab for much less at retail than a mined one. The *only* reason there's even a distinction is because of marketing from companies like DeBeers who are sitting on enormous warehouses of mined diamonds, not to mention invested in infrastructure mining even more at a fraction of the manufacturing cost. That's who profits: the guys who own the mines. The actual customer is almost always better off with a synthetic diamond, but the marketing machine is quite strong.