England

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Just starting to plan a trip to England this summer. Anyone got any tips? All I know is that it will be 1 - 2 weeks and we're somewhat flexible. We're going to hit Scotland and/or Ireland while we're there. Probably look at some castles and do the basic tourist traps around london.

Some specific questions I have are:
-What's the best way to book the trip? The only international travelling I've done was for work. When should I start booking to get the best prices?
-Can I get away with no driving on a trip like that? Do they have some sort of mass transit that will take me from London to Scotland and Ireland? How long does it take to get across the country? Quick glance and it looks like the best bet is to fly from london to dublin or wherever, but maybe there's a train between ireland and scotland. Or maybe I might wanna suck it up and just spend a day driving on the M6.
-Where are the places to avoid? I imagine the cities in general are more dangerous, and we'll be in london for sure. Don't wanna wind up in the slums. I'll have my daughter with me.
-What can I legally carry weapon-wise in england? I know they're pretty strict, but will anyone question me if I'm carrying a cane or walking stick? Even if I'm not limping?
-Is there anything I really need to see or try?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Not sure about booking the trip from your end.

Yes, you can get the train from London to Scotland or you can fly. Trains like 5 hours and the planes 45 mins or so. Ireland you can either get the ferry from Holyhead in Wales (need car to get there) or you can fly from London or Scotland, it's way shorter from Scotland (30 mins or so by plane). In Scotland, if you want to see the true beauty you need to get into the highlands and for that you will need a car as there's nothing there cept mountains and shit.

Anywhere central in London is good, but expensive for the most part. Everyone I know books air BnB's (whole apartments) when they visit now, some people have had some really awesome ones and it works out a fair bit cheaper.

You can't carry any weapons at all - walking sticks fine. I doubt you'd be questioned unless your 18 or something.

What kind of stuff do you enjoy doing, London's huge with some of the greatest and some of shittest tourist stuff in the world.

For summer i would say Kew Gardens is a must see as it's amazing to have such a nice place in a city and it's in a lovely area. - you can take a boat along the Thames, that's nice if the weather is good and you can go from Greenwich to Hampton Court etc. The shards nice for the views, the London eye is dogshit in comparison. Victoria and Albert Museum is my favourite as it's got everything from paintings by constable to Henry VIII's bling necklaces and everything in between.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
I really enjoyed Edinburgh my last time through the U.K. The castle is literally right in the middle of the city and the views of and from the castle are pretty great. There is also a whiskey tasting that you can go on near the castle that I remember enjoying. The parliament buildings were worth a visit as well, the royal residence was in the same area if I recall correctly, also kinda cool to see.

• 2Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Will I even be allowed to drive in England? What kinda hoops do you have to jump through to do that legally?

A walking stick is enough weapon for me as long as no one will question it. As I understand the law, I just need to pretend its not intended for self defense. What would be really cool is if I could wear a ceremonial sword.

Most of the stuff I enjoy won't be doable. Like shooting and hunting and fishing. Fishing might be possible but I'll have to see if it's worth the trouble. Maybe someone will have some old style English longbows I can try.

Next down the list would be castles, museums, historical sites. I also want to hear good accents. Is cockney alive in any good areas? I won't even ask about food. I fully expect to lose half my body weight on this trip due to shitty food.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
Just starting to plan a trip to England this summer. Anyone got any tips? All I know is that it will be 1 - 2 weeks and we're somewhat flexible. We're going to hit Scotland and/or Ireland while we're there. Probably look at some castles and do the basic tourist traps around london.

Some specific questions I have are:
-What's the best way to book the trip? The only international travelling I've done was for work. When should I start booking to get the best prices?
-Can I get away with no driving on a trip like that? Do they have some sort of mass transit that will take me from London to Scotland and Ireland? How long does it take to get across the country? Quick glance and it looks like the best bet is to fly from london to dublin or wherever, but maybe there's a train between ireland and scotland. Or maybe I might wanna suck it up and just spend a day driving on the M6.
-Where are the places to avoid? I imagine the cities in general are more dangerous, and we'll be in london for sure. Don't wanna wind up in the slums. I'll have my daughter with me.
-What can I legally carry weapon-wise in england? I know they're pretty strict, but will anyone question me if I'm carrying a cane or walking stick? Even if I'm not limping?
-Is there anything I really need to see or try?

Ha, no one is going to stop you with a walking stick or cane - don't believe everything you read.

Scotland is well worth a visit, if you only want to do city stuff I'd recommend Edinburgh for the tourist stuff (I live there); the Castle, museums, art gallery, whisky, parliament, Mary King's Close, Ghost walks as well as a dozen other things geared towards tourists. Take a trip down to Stockbridge and the shore of Leith for a bit more local colour (walking distance if you're not fat). I'd also recommend a trip to the highlands if you want to drive - hiring a car isn't an issue here as your US drivers license will suffice but Rabbie's Tours do some great trips apparently. It's literally impossible to find yourself accidentally in a dangerous area in the city due to the way it's laid out.

As far as accommodation goes airbnb would be the way to go, particularly in Edinburgh. There's plenty great places to eat as well

There's a bunch of stuff within a two hour drive/train trip of the city - a lot of the historical stuff like castles etc are focused around the central belt and you're never more than 2 hours away from anything down there.

Get a train from London to Edinburgh, it takes about 5 hours - probably the same time a flight would take by the time you piss about getting to and through the airports in London. Or just skip England all together.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
lol you're such a Texan

I've never been to Scotland but have spent a considerable amount of time in London and Ireland. Northern Ireland is fucking awesome. It's gorgeous. Hues of green you didn't know existed. The Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede, the view from Grianan of Aileach. A car would be necessary here. No problem renting one. You just drive on the other side of the road is all.

As for London, I honestly don't find it that great as a major city. I think New York is much better. Beer sucks. Food sucks. Weather sucks. The train system makes no fucking sense. Pretty damn good Indian good though. And some really good gin spots if you're into that. The British Museum is also definitely worth a visit.

• 2Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
There's hunting and fishing in the UK, it's seasonal and you need a permit. You can go shoot clay if you want to spend an absolute fortune, it's done on private estates mostly and it's considered a well-heeled activity in the UK so expect well-heeled prices.

there's historical shit everywhere in the UK. When you're in London you can check out Windsor Castle, St Pauls, Tower of London. There's just too much to mention really. Edinburgh is easily the nicest city in Scotland and the people are great. Someone mentioned Northern Ireland, that's absolutely stunning in places. York's a nice city in England, Wales has some of the best beaches in the UK along with Northumberland which is way north, near the Scottish borders).

The weather will be shit, most likely - the further you go north the wetter/colder it gets as a general rule, that said we've had some good summers even up north recently. If you go into the hills in Scotland, always be prepared hiking, it can literally turn from being t-shit weather to hypothermia inducing cold in a matter of minutes.

The food in London is great, just don't get burned eating at some fucking dire restaurant in Leicester Square that's a tourist trap is all.

Also in London, like any large city watch your wallet on the tube, it's fucking notorious for pickpockets even now.

Edit: Course you can drive just book a rental online, sign the shit when you're in there, show license and you're done, we are not that backward. Driving in London's a major hassle as parkings all residents only in alot of places and there's shitloads of traffic. Outside of London it's much better. the public transport in london is 24/7 and it's good.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I'm way too fat to consider a hike a good vacation.

Except for maybe ghost walks. We always enjoy those sorts of tours.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Be aware you will get a right hand drive car if you rent it in the UK and it may well be a stick shift car unless you specifically book an automatic. The driving on the left takes some getting used to, it's actually easy at the start when it's all new and you're paying attention but a few days in your attention drops off and you fall into old habits and look the wrong way. It's not impossible or anything, just take your time and try not to get get distracted.

Some random attractions around the UK:
-Liverpool if you like Beatles-themed everything. Except the famous crosswalk, that's in London
-Chester for the beautiful historic city center
-Stonehenge I found to be not worth the trip, you can't get anywhere near the stones.

Plenty of castles from all eras you can visit, I did 4 in one day once just driving around Dorset. Just have a look on wikipedia or google maps
-Doune castle in Scotland for the Monty Python fan
- Maiden Castle, Dorset - Wikipedia Isn't actually a castle, but it's a historic site dating back to the iron age and has a great view of the area once you climb that hill.

• 2Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I'm way too fat to consider a hike a good vacation.

Except for maybe ghost walks. We always enjoy those sorts of tours.

There's a really good Jack the Ripper tour in London that goes to all the murder locations, gives you the history etc. it's pretty good at night.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Be cautious in popular areas that don't have cement/steel barricades. It isn't uncommon for people to be mowed down by Muslims. Also be alert in cramped areas such as subways/petrol stations, look for people wielding knives and/or machetes. Be cautious in general around Muslims and anyone who looks Muslim.

Most importantly don't tweet anything that could be perceived negative about women, trannies, dindus, etc.

• 1Picard

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Don't worry I got the muzzies covered. Im going to draw a picture of Mohammed sucking a circumcised dick and put it on my backpack to ward them off.

It's like garlic to a vampire.

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
I've traveled the length and breadth of England. I've been for a week plus more than four times. Some tips:

Book your trip about 2-3 months in advance. Skyscanner.com is great for finding the cheapest month/cheapest day in the month. I recommend Virgin Airlines. If Virgin is ~100-150 more, still book Virgin. Also, be sure to check prices flying in to Manchester or elsewhere, sometimes the savings can be significant. Sometimes a flight will have a layover in a random place, too, one time I flew in to Paris and then hit London, cause it was for some reason 400 dollars cheaper.

You can absolutely get away with no driving and I HIGHLY recommend it unless you want to go very far off the beaten path. I rented a car every time and every time I regretted it. On one of my trips I got a flat tire and it was a shitshow trying to get things straightened out. If you do rent a car, you must request an automatic. I drive stick, but trying to drive stick on some of the insanely tiny roads of England with a hand you're not used to shifting with is unfun. Also, be prepared to pay for parking EVERYWHERE and sometimes it's extortionate. The rules of the road are fine but sometimes you'll be expected to drive at some breakneck pace on lanes separated by a sparrow's dick. Then in a lot of towns there are assholes parked on the sides of the road that are designed for like 1 horsedrawn carriage, and you have to drive on the other side of the road to avoid hitting them, pissing off oncoming traffic. If you try to stay cautious and safe it just pisses the fuck out of everyone. It's just not as roomy as US driving and it can be stressful in certain places--freeway driving was fine. Anyway, I ubered everywhere in main cities that was too far to walk, and took the train and bus everywhere else after my car got a flat and it was extremely freeing. Do that.

A really good guide for places to avoid in cities can be airbnb. Get airbnb most places (though in the North, a lot of times hotels are cheaper and nicer). Read google reviews of hotels and user reviews of airbnb places. There will absolutely be families and parents that call a place out for being shady. I loved my airbnb in London and in a few places in the north got really charming, cheap hotels. Most tourist stuff will be totally fine. I've done seriously almost everything in Glasgow, London, Manchester, Liverpool, Cambridge, Leeds, Bristol, Brighton, and more, and never felt unsafe. I did accidentally one time walk into a very shady area in Leeds but that wasn't a tourist destination.

You can't legally carry anything. Don't bring a knife. Walking stick is fine. It sucks cause my everyday carry includes a knife and, when I'm not teaching, a sidearm.

I recommend the British Museum in London HIGHLY. It's very similar to the Met and absolutely stunning. If you're a museum person I'd dedicate a day and a half to this, and if you're not, at least 3ish hours. I cannot recommend the Winston Churchill museum. Overpriced and short. I liked Glasgow more than Edinburgh, I may be in the minority there. Glasgow has a pretty cool downton music scene on the right days. I had an absolute blast listening to live music and going from bar to bar. Liverpool has an entire area that is Beatles-themed if that's your bag: I did it mostly so I could say I did it. I found it overpriced but the statues of the Beatles and fair nearby were cooler than the expensive tour. The beaches on all sides blow cock. I spent a lot of my life in southern California, and the worst beach there is better than the best beach I went to in England. A lot of them are stuck in the 70s and have serious economically strange models--like even if you go at a certain time everything is closed, cause there's some 3 week window of a tourist season where a bunch of gambling and fish and chip shops are open. The cliffs of Dover are pretty awesome.

More general tips: be prepared to pay for things you wouldn't in the US. In my opinion their bathroom culture is fucking baffling. I had to pay for a bathroom several times. Public bathrooms close at odd times and are never open late. Sometimes restaurants don't have bathrooms. Almost nowhere, including Mcdonalds which I ate at a few times out of necessity, do not offer free refills which they are bizarrely proud of. I get thirsty when I eat and sometimes I want a refill of water or diet coke or whatever. Waiters don't expect tips which is cool I guess, but the service is generally something you would expect at a shitty Applebees. I drink mostly water and I had to ask to get my 5 ounce water refilled (with no ice) frequently. All of the places you'll eat will kind of expect you to get a pint with your meal. Oh, and nothing is open after 6 except restaurants and pubs, and the further north you go, the more it's just pubs. You'll see people get shitfaced with their meal and walk (or drive) home. Their drinking culture is very different from ours. A lot of places will have difficulty with your American AMEX or Visa or whatever, and some places will handle it just fine. Bring cash everywhere and be careful with your wallet on the tube because someone WILL be pressed against you if you travel anything resembling normal hours. Be sure to call your card companies or go to their websites and issue travel dates (where and for how long) so no charges are blocked. Also some cards charge for international purchases. Some charge a %, some a flat fee, some both. I had a card that was free on that and used it exclusively.

England can be a great place to visit and I do love it there, if I seem negative. I think my number one tip is: make a really good plan. You can have open times and how much of that depends on traveling style, but pre-book everything. For example for a 10 day trip, I'd book say 3 days in London with the London Pass to see a ton of attractions and an airbnb which I have researched and is a 5 minute walk to a tube station, then a train to Liverpool and a hotel there, I'd uber or lyft to the places I want downtown, take the tour, maybe a day there, then a train to Manchester or Leeds, maybe a few days there, then up to Edinburgh or Glasgow. When I was there last year there was a killer deal on a train from London to Glasgow for some great price, but all of it had to be done in advance and with planning. Same day it was like the same as a plane, planned a month off it was like 40 pounds. It all depends on when you're flying in, what kind of traveler you and your daughter are, and how much you're willing to spend. On a 1-2 week trip I'd limit yourself to London, few spots in the North, one to two cities in Scotland, and one to two places in Ireland. Anything more is going to be rushing it, and on a one week trip I'd cut at least one of the places. Take tours, find out what you like and if you prefer the Big City tourist stuff or the small city tourist stuff. I'd say the best trip to England/Europe you take is always the second trip after you know what you like, but you can have a great time the first time if you plan it right.

• 3Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Just a FYI, England has loads of sandy beaches. The waters freezing cold but there are loads. Some that's quite close to London would be the Kent coast - Dymchurch has a massive sandy beach.

Here's an article:

Britain's 20 greatest beaches (because it's warm enough for a day at the seaside)

Bamburgh is amazing from this article and it has an old castle, plus there's a monastery real close by but you'd need a car as it's sort of remote.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just FIY the free refills and free water in restaurants is mostly unknown in Europe, there's actually been some talk of making it a legal requirement but for the moment you'll have to order (and pay) for bottled water by the glass. Some will do free tap water if you specifically ask for it but don't expect it.

Pub food can be pretty decent if you're not expecting haute cuisine, usually it's straightforward fare like a burger or fish and chips but it can be pretty good and not bad on price either compared to restaurants. Ask the locals too, they'll usually be able to recommend a pub.

VISA is fairly widely accepted, amex less so. Definitely carry some cash at all times.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
London and Edinburgh are the best two places to visit so plan your trip starting at one and finishing at the other, there are lots of direct London-Edinburgh trains every day but they can be very expansive if you don't book a few months in advance so compare prices with just flying very carefully.

The other British cities are pretty shitty for a tourist since they are all industrial cities with not much nice to look at, ignore suggestions to go to Liverpool what the fuck (I am from and live in that area). If you want to go somewhere else, you either want to look up Cathedral Cities which are the very small medival era cities with castles and cathedrals or look up our national parks, but you'll probably need to drive to get around them.

Are there sandy beaches there?
There's sandy beaches all over the country but it depends on what climate you want. The best sandy beaches and weather are in Cornwall in the south west where a small part of the country hits the Atlantic Ocean but you can still get wiped out by summer rain even there - it would be good for a tourist visit for the pirate culture but it's impossible to get down there quickly due to shitty roads/trains and no airports.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just FIY the free refills and free water in restaurants is mostly unknown in Europe, there's actually been some talk of making it a legal requirement but for the moment you'll have to order (and pay) for bottled water by the glass. Some will do free tap water if you specifically ask for it but don't expect it.

Pub food can be pretty decent if you're not expecting haute cuisine, usually it's straightforward fare like a burger or fish and chips but it can be pretty good and not bad on price either compared to restaurants. Ask the locals too, they'll usually be able to recommend a pub.

VISA is fairly widely accepted, amex less so. Definitely carry some cash at all times.
VISA is accepted everywhere, I have a VISA and I live here.

If you want refills go to Nandos or Five Guys.

My girlfriend always asks for free tap water, I don't think that's a weird thing in the UK.

Pub Food and Fish/Chips is usually carbs with a side of carbs, go to a restaurant if you want something with nutritional value.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
ignore suggestions to go to Liverpool what the fuck.

Ignore this idiot, literally has no clue about anything.

Liverpool is a fantastic city with a thriving tourism economy, easily worth a 1-2 day visit. Even if you have no interest in "soccer" then there's still the Albert Dock, the Tate gallery, the Beatles stuff, the two Cathedrals.

I mean fuck, the docks is a UNESCO World Heritage site and this moron (who claims he is from there but clearly isn't) is telling you to ignore it.

Chris Chris if you think London and Edinburgh are the only UK cities worth visiting then you clearly haven't travelled very far. I mean, Liverpool, Brighton, Bristol and Bath are all top tier cities with thriving cultures, Manchester too.

But oh yeah Chris Chris it's pretty safe bet that someone planning a multi-stop tour of the UK might have a fairly high quality of life when it comes to disposable income etc, did you even consider that?

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ignore this idiot, literally has no clue about anything.

Liverpool is a fantastic city with a thriving tourism economy, easily worth a 1-2 day visit. Even if you have no interest in "soccer" then there's still the Albert Dock, the Tate gallery, the Beatles stuff, the two Cathedrals.

I mean fuck, the docks is a UNESCO World Heritage site and this moron (who claims he is from there but clearly isn't) is telling you to ignore it.

Chris Chris if you think London and Edinburgh are the only UK cities worth visiting then you clearly haven't travelled very far. I mean, Liverpool, Brighton, Bristol and Bath are all top tier cities with thriving cultures, Manchester too.

But oh yeah Chris Chris it's pretty safe bet that someone planning a multi-stop tour of the UK might have a fairly high quality of life when it comes to disposable income etc, did you even consider that?
Put yourself in the shoes of a foreign tourist visiting these places and wanting multiples days worth of stuff to do, especially stuff that's different to back home.

Bath is definitely worth a visit for the Roman Baths, Georgian architecture and Medieval Cathedral. Glastonbury isn't too far away and has an amazing ruined monestary, a boring hill that is allegedly the Isle of Avalon that King Arthur is buried under and loads of hipster witches. When I said "look at Cathedral Cities not Industrial Cities", Bath is a great example of that. Cardiff is not far either and has a castle, though I think it's mostly not original medieval stuff like London and Edinburgh's castles have.

Bristol is right next to Bath and is very pretentious but all it's got really is nice views of the Brunel Suspension Bridge, I lived there for 2.5 years and considered jumping off it.

Liverpool has a fake anglican cathedral made of concrete on the inside and a modernist UFO abomination of a catholic cathedral, not representative of great UK cathedrals. I appreciate the docks as part of my heritage but I don't know how impressive it is to a tourist, even with a shitty modern art gallery and Beatles museum in it. I imagine that American cities have similar.

Manchester has a really impressive industrial train bridge over the canals, more stuff like the Liverpool docks and a bunch of hipster bars that are not as bad as the Bristol ones. I've lived here for 10 years.

Best thing to do near Manchester/Liverpool is to go to Chester to see the Roman Walls, Cathedral and Medieval shops. You may as well stay in Chester, that puts you closer to North Wales (which is grim) but Anglesey has some beautiful scenery and beaches overlooking Snowdonia as long as you avoid the main town there.

Edinburgh is really fucking impressive and the most architecturally and culturally distinct city in the UK, I usually go a few days at a time and don't have enough time to do everything. The castle alone is probabaly a full day. A full English breakfast with haggis to spread on your toast is amazing. If you have a choice between Edinburgh or Dublin, Edinburgh wins by miles - I found Dublin to be fairly boring and not really distinct from cities in the UK.

Last edited:
  • 3Like