England

Chris

Potato del Grande
Gravy looks the same, if you want to go through the bother of making it. Since it's just adding a bunch of calories to the pot roast, we usually skip it and use the juice more like Au Jus for the potatoes when mashed into the plate with the fork. That's only our family though, as I am sure there are plenty of people that make up the gravy every time.

The recipe for Yorkshire on Serious Eats looks pretty large to fill full of gravy too, like the bread-to-gravy ratio would be off. Although I'm not sure it would be much different than the gravy-to-bread ratio of Biscuits and (white) Gravy (something equivalent to US biscuits don't seem to exist in the UK (scones, but not really)). Yorkshire Pudding also looks like the savory form of Dutch Baby (German) Pancakes, which I make every so often and are super easy.
They are about 2 inches across usually, you can make giant ones but then you put all your food inside it. You link seems to have pics of both.

I fill them with gravy because I'm from the north, but a coating is fine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Biscuits and (white) Gravy (something equivalent to US biscuits don't seem to exist in the UK (scones, but not really))
Its weird to me. Neither the UK nor Australia appear to have biscuits, as a concept.

I mean putting aside the silly language issues (i.e. that they call cookies biscuits, pronounce scones as "skahns", etc.)

They don't seem to have the concept at all. Whereas other foods they still have, but just call it something different. In this case, its like they can't see the difference between biscuits and scones, like they're colorblind and biscuits are a color.

In Australia I was happily served a plate of perfectly good biscuits covered with jam and clotted cream, and they called them scones. Meanwhile, in the display case they had a selection of actual scones (triangular, with bits of dried fruit etc) -- also called scones.

And if you ask them what they're called when they're covered with gravy, they look at you like you called the tomahto sauce ketchup or something.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Its weird to me. Neither the UK nor Australia appear to have biscuits, as a concept.

I mean putting aside the silly language issues (i.e. that they call cookies biscuits, pronounce scones as "skahns", etc.)

They don't seem to have the concept at all. Whereas other foods they still have, but just call it something different. In this case, its like they can't see the difference between biscuits and scones, like they're colorblind and biscuits are a color.

In Australia I was happily served a plate of perfectly good biscuits covered with jam and clotted cream, and they called them scones. Meanwhile, in the display case they had a selection of actual scones (triangular, with bits of dried fruit etc) -- also called scones.

And if you ask them what they're called when they're covered with gravy, they look at you like you called the tomahto sauce ketchup or something.
Yeah I see this on US food/travel shows sometimes and think that you lot are insane. Must be how you guys feel when we put steak into pies.

Savoury and sweet pie pastry is sometimes totally different and if they are the same then one has sugar and the other doesn't.

I assumed the same with biscuits, but you are saying that plain scones are the same as biscuits? And you... still put gravy on them..?

The plain scones are the cheap mass produced ones you have to put jam/cheam on , if they have fruit in them they are usually more expensive or homemade - not triangles in the UK though because we still want to put jam and cream on them although you can eat them as is.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Yeah I see this on US food/travel shows sometimes and think that you lot are insane. Must be how you guys feel when we put steak into pies.

Savoury and sweet pie pastry is sometimes totally different and if they are the same then one has sugar and the other doesn't.

I assumed the same with biscuits, but you are saying that plain scones are the same as biscuits? And you... still put gravy on them..?

The plain scones are the cheap mass produced ones you have to put jam/cheam on , if they have fruit in them they are usually more expensive or homemade - not triangles in the UK though because we still want to put jam and cream on them although you can eat them as is.
This is a biscuit. Gravy not included.
1683044744396.png

This is a scone.
1683044791883.png

Biscuits arent inherently savory, they're just plain. Like bread. You could go savory or sweet.

FWIW I don't see anything especially odd about making savory pies with meat. (Unless its fucking kidneys or some shit thats supposed to be fed to dogs but thats a separate issue)

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is a biscuit. Gravy not included.
View attachment 471568
This is a scone.
View attachment 471569
Biscuits arent inherently savory, they're just plain. Like bread. You could go savory or sweet.
Yeah they are the same thing.

The scone just has fruit and icing sugar, we don't put the icing sugar on because we want to cut it in half and put jam and cream in there.

I'm guessing our plain scones have sugar in them and yours don't?

This is all on the cake continuum, you are putting gravy on cake, what the fuck.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
lol color blind confirmed, those are not the same thing at all. Unless you're just calling all baked goods the same thing (hey its all just flour baked in the oven man!)

No, biscuits don't have sugar in them.

Scones do. They're a sweet baked good.

They're different things.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah they are the same thing.

The scone just has fruit and icing sugar, we don't put the icing sugar on because we want to cut it in half and put jam and cream in there.

I'm guessing our plain scones have sugar in them and yours don't?

This is all on the cake continuum, you are putting gravy on cake, what the fuck.
All the scones I have had are sweet, akin to a doughnuts or dessert, but the people talking about it online say that the UK has cheese scones, which are the closest scone type to a buttermilk biscuit, but the biscuit is still saltier, fluffier, and flakier (the scone is more dense and crumbly). The closest UK item, in terms of how Americans, for the most part, use biscuits, is the English Muffin, but again, the texture is all different. Even then, American biscuits are sometimes used as a side for dinner dishes in lieu of the dinner roll.

I guess it's something you have to make. Best bet is to use them for breakfast as you would an English Muffin; they are great as little egg, bacon, and cheese sandwiches. Then if you like them, try the more complicated sausage and gravy recipe or as a side with fried chicken and mashed potatoes (French/American or UK style).

Chris

Potato del Grande
All the scones I have had are sweet, akin to a doughnuts or dessert, but the people talking about it online say that the UK has cheese scones, which are the closest scone type to a buttermilk biscuit, but the biscuit is still saltier, fluffier, and flakier (the scone is more dense and crumbly). The closest UK item, in terms of how Americans, for the most part, use biscuits, is the English Muffin, but again, the texture is all different. Even then, American biscuits are sometimes used as a side for dinner dishes in lieu of the dinner roll.

I guess it's something you have to make. Best bet is to use them for breakfast as you would an English Muffin; they are great as little egg, bacon, and cheese sandwiches. Then if you like them, try the more complicated sausage and gravy recipe or as a side with fried chicken and mashed potatoes (French/American or UK style).
Yeah I don't get cheese scones.

If scones are like breakfast muffins, I totally understand now.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
A proper biscuit is usually flaky and "layered" almost like a croissant. It's typically a breakfast baked food - just like croissants are. Scones are shitty crumbly dry piece of shit baked goods that are the ignored pastry at every cafe.