Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Best outcome would be for Apple to lose the lawsuit and be forced to allow App Store competition while at the same time the US government bans anything tencent related from being distributed in the US.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you installed Epic Gaming Store on your PC you probably already installed this on your car.

View attachment 295416

I felt that way about Uplay and Origin which I hardly ever use anymore, but Epic store is actually better for developers no? Doesn't steam take a 30% cut and Epic only 15%? The Epic store UI is trash though, complete, utter, trash.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Best outcome would be for Apple to lose the lawsuit and be forced to allow App Store competition while at the same time the US government bans anything tencent related from being distributed in the US.
You might not like what kind of precedent the latter sets. At least in the short term. China has their grubby hands in all the pies.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd go one step further: make the rules for Chinese companies doing business in the US exactly the same as the rules for foreign companies doing business in China.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Apple on Tuesday shot back in its legal battle with Fortnite creator Epic Games, filing a response and counterclaims alleging that the gaming company breached its contract with Apple, and seeking an unspecified amount in damages.

1599592384277.png

Last edited:

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I agree with bubbles this is really about ccp trying to force their spyware onto everyone while a ccp state champion company targets a US industry like ccp's zombie companies targetting steel, cement, rare earth metal industries in other countries decades prior.

The response to this is to tax the balls off Chinese app stores or ban them outright on the national/governmental level, like Tik Tok--its not to support Apple/Google's monopolistic trust practices.

That's the thing (not you, but others in this thread)..we've become so used to nationalism being something 'evil', most people assume we can't use the exact same nationalist strategies China regularly uses on us to fuck us over. Its almost obscene how brainwashed Americans are anymore in terms of using nationalist protections to combat bad actors. Do people really think China hollowed out our markets because their plants/factories ran so much better? No. In most cases American companies were competing against not just an opposing company but also the full government of China. The lack of action from the U.S. government should have enraged Americans, but instead we had a series of sell outs in office that pretended like we had no power to respond on any level but the corporate level.

Asking Apple and Google to fight China is essentially asking corporate America to take over for the American government (Which is why these corporations have grown so wildly powerful, too)...Its okay to tell Apple and Google to fuck off, and then tell your GOVERNMENT to protect them from an OPPOSING GOVERNMENT. Don't use corporations to fight governments--that's a lose, lose for everyone involved.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Vorph

“Although Epic portrays itself as a modern corporate Robin Hood, in reality it is a multi-billion dollar enterprise that simply wants to pay nothing for the tremendous value it derives from the App Store.”
As much as it pains me to agree with anything Apple says, this does seem to be exactly what is happening.

That's the thing (not you, but others in this thread)..we've become so used to nationalism being something 'evil', most people assume we can't use the exact same weapons China regularly uses on us to fuck us over. Its almost obscene how brainwashed Americans are anymore in terms of using nationalist protections to combat bad actors.
This is what infuriates me more than just about anything these days. Somehow we got to the point where nationalism = white nationalism = white supremacy = literally Hitler, and saying you're a patriot means you're planning to go join a militia in Montana.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
As much as it pains me to agree with anything Apple says, this does seem to be exactly what is happening.

This is not what is happening, though. Epic derives no value whatsoever from the App Store. They are merely forced to go through the App Store as a portal to the iPhone. If users could sideload Fortnight onto their iPhones bypassing the App Store entirely, then they would do so and Epic would lose absolutely nothing in the process.

Fuck Epic, and fuck Tencent. Also, fuck Apple too. Fuck them all. They are all using monopoly to further their bullshit. But lets be honest about the situation. Apple is rent-seeking to an astounding degree and they are getting called out on it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If users could sideload Fortnight onto their iPhones bypassing the App Store entirely, then they would do so and Epic would lose absolutely nothing in the process.
Absolutely not true. Many users, especially Fortnite kids under parental controls, simply won't install apps that aren't through the official storefront. I'm not saying that Apple deserves 30%, they certainly don't, but to say that Epic gets no value at all from being in the Apple/Google stores is ludicrous. It's like getting shelf space at a Walmart or Costco.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

What Lenas said. Epic benefited to a massive degree from Fortnite's exposure on Apple/Google stores and trying to weasel out of the contracts they signed now that they think they have enough retarded kids hooked on their digital crack to go it alone is ridiculous.

I do agree that Apple should not be allowed to completely block sideloading apps though. That's where they are far more draconian than even Google is, and it crosses the line into antitrust violations imo. If Epic really believes they could sustain profits through 100% sideloading, that should be their prerogative. That's not what they are suing for though--the lawsuit demands that Apple be forced to host their app on the store while Epic cuts them completely out of the loop for payment processing and revenue.

LiquidDeath

Absolutely not true. Many users, especially Fortnite kids under parental controls, simply won't install apps that aren't through the official storefront. I'm not saying that Apple deserves 30%, they certainly don't, but to say that Epic gets no value at all from being in the Apple/Google stores is ludicrous. It's like getting shelf space at a Walmart or Costco.

I get that argument for no name companies, but if Epic had a verified app store available on the iPhone than it wouldn't matter for Fortnight. When I say sideload, I'm referring to any process that isn't the official App Store, and not just any old unverified site. So Epic specifically has next to no use for the App Store, while many smaller publishers likely do derive value from it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
but if Epic had a verified app store available on the iPhone than it wouldn't matter

Apple's rules don't allow competing stores, that's kind of the point. Epic is forced into the Apple store just to have access to the 1.5 billion devices on the platform.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm not saying that Apple deserves 30%, they certainly don't, but to say that Epic gets no value at all from being in the Apple/Google stores is ludicrous.
In fact, that's exactly what happened with the Google Playstore issue. Fortnite used to be an external APK you had to install from Epic's site. Then, they moved to the Playstore to increase the number of downloads. And now, they want it both ways.

Which is why I want their suit against Apple to succeed and their suit against Google to fail.

LiquidDeath

Apple's rules don't allow competing stores, that's kind of the point. Epic is forced into the Apple store just to have access to the 1.5 billion devices on the platform.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

That is exactly the practice that the courts should strike down. It is monopolistic bullshit and clearly anti-consumer. It is the specific part that I want Epic to win against, even though I am entirely against Epic and their Chinese backed bullshit.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Vorph

In fact, that's exactly what happened with the Google Playstore issue. Fortnite used to be an external APK you had to install from Epic's site. Then, they moved to the Playstore to increase the number of downloads. And now, they want it both ways.

Which is why I want their suit against Apple to succeed and their suit against Google to fail.
Epic also wants Apple (and no doubt Google as well, should their motion succeed vs. Apple) to be forced to reinstate Fortnite on the app stores immediately, and without Epic removing the external payment processing. They filed a motion for a preliminary injunction asking for exactly that on Friday.

Epic's suit should be tossed for simple breach of contract, and the government should deal with any antitrust violations by Apple or Google separately. If that benefits Epic in the long run, so be it.

I get that argument for no name companies, but if Epic had a verified app store available on the iPhone than it wouldn't matter for Fortnight. When I say sideload, I'm referring to any process that isn't the official App Store, and not just any old unverified site. So Epic specifically has next to no use for the App Store, while many smaller publishers likely do derive value from it.
What do you mean by 'verified'? Apple/Google shouldn't have to 'verify' anything about a third party competitor, which is what Epic would be at that point. If they want sideloading, it's the wild west and they would need to convince people it's safe to install, deal with all the fake sites that would pop up trying to get people to download infected versions of their app, etc. on their own. Just like how it works on Android now.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I think most of us actually agree that we hope Epic wins against Apple and loses against Google. Users on iOS need to be freed from the walled garden.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

LiquidDeath

Epic also wants Apple (and no doubt Google as well, should their motion succeed vs. Apple) to be forced to reinstate Fortnite on the app stores immediately, and without Epic removing the external payment processing. They filed a motion for a preliminary injunction asking for exactly that on Friday.

Epic's suit should be tossed for simple breach of contract, and the government should deal with any antitrust violations by Apple or Google separately. If that benefits Epic in the long run, so be it.

What do you mean by 'verified'? Apple/Google shouldn't have to 'verify' anything about a third party competitor, which is what Epic would be at that point. If they want sideloading, it's the wild west and they would need to convince people it's safe to install, deal with all the fake sites that would pop up trying to get people to download infected versions of their app, etc. on their own. Just like how it works on Android now.

Verified as in by Epic themselves distribute it as free of viruses. I could give a fuck if Apple or Google verify stuff outside their store, I'm just absolutely against purchasing hardware that is then locked to the user by monopoly practices. Apple has been breaking the law for a long time and it is disgusting the government has let them continue to do so for the entire life of iOS.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Not an Epic fan and hope they lose to both Apple and Google.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
They filed a motion for a preliminary injunction asking for exactly that on Friday.
Not going to happen. They would have to demonstrate irreparable harm, which might be the case if Epic's existence was tied to that product (that is, if Fortnite missing on App Store would lead Epic to bankruptcy. Which of course isn't the case, or they wouldn't have done the Apple trolling).

As a side fun effect if Apple ends being told that they need to allow competing App Stores to exist - I'm fairly sure China would immediately create their own, entirely managed in-house, then tell Apple that they need to REMOVE theirs from Chinese iPhones.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I didn't realize they had as big of ownership in Epic. I thought is was around 20% not 40%.