Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Without have read any of the shit I'm sure the fight is probably along the lines of unlawful contract because monopolistic behavior, jargon along those lines. It's actually a fight I feel like we want Epic to win

I agree with this. I shouldn't have to use Google Play to pay for shit on a game.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
good lord, people are blind. This has Tencent feel all over. It's part of their long time strategy. This is one of the reasons they acquire foreign assets. Tencent (China) doesn't give a flying fuck about gaming or app store payment policies. What they care about is changing foreign laws to suit their future goals. And this is one of the best ways to do it

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Octave

Trakanon Raider
You guys are ridiculous. Do you really want the hardware providers to have complete control over the device you own?

It's like you've been a prison bitch for so long, you start identifying with your oppressor.

Can you imagine if Windows had the same rules? Only Microsoft approved software with a 30 percent cut to Microsoft? Imagine where software would be now. Entire software ecosystems could have been prevented because Microsoft could have stopped any competition.

This is the world we live in now. And it's, apparently, the world you guys deserve.

• 11Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I can't believe there are commenters here that want Google and Apple to have full control over our devices.
At least with Android you aren't forced to use Google Play, Epic might lose that one, but Apple completely controls how you obtain apps, and I hate it.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Give it enough time and they are all being replaced. I expect openSource phones to pop up more and more. Except for Windows NT, they are all UNIX forks anyway. Apple's policies are straight up monopolistic. Android users at least have options. Windows is already making Windows 10 ARM devices, so that is a possibility also, tho I think the Windows Phone experiment has died. IF Android and Apple lose these cases, that might change.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Give it enough time and they are all being replaced. I expect openSource phones to pop up more and more. Except for Windows NT, they are all UNIX forks anyway. Apple's policies are straight up monopolistic. Android users at least have options. Windows is already making Windows 10 ARM devices, so that is a possibility also, tho I think the Windows Phone experiment has died. IF Android and Apple lose these cases, that might change.
Open source always wins eventually. Closed source platforms just develop faster.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
It's the same shit with gaming. Tim Sweeny can suck my 3" of thunder. We've all seen where the Epic Games Store is now, and to call it petering out would be optimistic.

Steam took one on the chin, but then again, maybe Steam deserved to take one chin. I'm just sorry that a fucker like Tim Sweeny, and a game like Fortnite (which was an accidental success), had to be the ones to prove that to Steam. But then again, Steam wouldn't play with his "Free to download and play" game either, unless they saw some monetary benefit. And Tim Sweeny wasn't dumb enough to fuck with Newell on this front, at least not in a court of law.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I'd side with Satan over Tim Sweeny. At least Satan tells me he's lying.

• 1Solidarity

Kiki

Log Wizard
I can't believe there are commenters here that want Google and Apple to have full control over our devices.
At least with Android you aren't forced to use Google Play, Epic might lose that one, but Apple completely controls how you obtain apps, and I hate it.

I think people are reading a bit too much into our replies. It's not that we want dominant overlords, it's that one is much harder to prove than the other. I completely agree about Apple, having to load music and stuff using Itunes back in the day was just lol.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not that I give a fuck about fortnite, but it sort of smacks of monopolistic collusion for both google and apple to give them the boot. When I still played a mobile game, I could buy currency through amazon, apple, or google, and whoever i bought through left the other two screwed even though I played on all three platforms. How is being able to buy your currency directly through the CCP significantly different from that?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

Consoles are not all-purpose devices.
Phones have become the new Windows Desktop PC.
What would the world be like if Microsoft did these practices back in the 80s/90s and nothing was done to stop them?
There were some major lawsuits against MS doing much less than Apple. Google is a little better off... pre-loading Google Play is about equivalent to Microsoft preinstalling Internet Explorer.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Epic is obviously well prepared for this. Everything was ready, the lawsuits are already out, the 1984 trailer, even a good hashtag for twitter is in place. But is it enough to defeat Apple? doubtful, especially because it's not just EG vs Apple, but basically EG against every major corporation. It's already against Google, but also against MS with Xbox live and Sony with the PS Store.

Keep in mind, Sony wants to sell the disc-free PS5 Digital Edition. Players have to buy the games in the PS Store. There's no other way. For the customers that's gonna be a pricey experience. Not only are the games often more expensive than store bought discs, Sony also gets to keep the entire revenue. If EG were to win against Apple and every publisher could use his own stores and payment methodes, this would bring down the PS Store, a very lucrative business model Sony absolutely wants.

Now this is where things get complicated, since Sony is now one of the shareholders of EG. I doubt Sony is happy with their fight against centralised app stores. Quite the opposite, Sony will not support EG, neither will MIcrosoft and the part of the development circles who are tightly connected to those corporations.

So far only Spotify sided with EG, allegedly maybe also Sonos. That's not a strong front against Apple. Basically EG can only hope for the FTC (?) to side with them, that's what their lawsuits are for, but until that's done many Fortnite seasons will have passed.

On whose side the customer will be is down to personal preference. Whoever favors security basically has to root for Apple, since one controlled and centralized store is still the smallest window for malware. Whoever is hoping for less expensive products will probably side with EG. 30% is a lot of money and EG only asks 12%. The only compromise is reducing those 30%. No matter what, MS Apple Google or Sony will not give up on having all the money moving through their stores.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If Epic wasn't backed by Tencent I might be more supportive, even though I dislike Epic far more than I dislike Apple and Google. But since epic is backed by Tencent. Fuckem.

• 5Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Consoles are not all-purpose devices.
Phones have become the new Windows Desktop PC.
That's utter nonsense as long as you still have to root a phone to be able to do what you want with it. That they have multiple purposes is irrelevant; the actual design is almost exactly the same as a console. Apple is obviously a hell of a lot more draconian than Google when it comes to the hardware, but they are both terrible companies when it comes to the software and even my Samsung phone is locked down pretty damn tight by default.