Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder how integrated the games are with the store... the store may not know you're playing the game. So "time played" req would be kinda tough to implement if there's no link. I know with Fortnite I can close the launcher and no problems. Also means you're not going to see the achievements and stuff like Steam has. Always possible in the future, but then you get software bloat.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think GoG offers a no-questions-asked refund policy for up to 30 days, so this isn't really shocking outside of this being more new games.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Really weird start to the store though. The free games is a nice approach, but they're only starting with a couple games and growing it as it goes along, with no actual library of games to choose from. I expected an actual storefront rather than just a portal to buy a couple games.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Really weird start to the store though. The free games is a nice approach, but they're only starting with a couple games and growing it as it goes along, with no actual library of games to choose from. I expected an actual storefront rather than just a portal to buy a couple games.

Starting slow is always a good move but I bet it'll start getting populated fast. If I was a game dev I'd be looking to find a way to get into that store ASAP since selection is so small you're guaranteed to get a lot of eyes on your game right now.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If they have events like the annual Steam sales then i'm fucked. I'm a sucker for the "90 PERCENT OFF!" 2 dollar game that just sits in my HUGE inventory of other unplayed games.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Starting slow is always a good move but I bet it'll start getting populated fast. If I was a game dev I'd be looking to find a way to get into that store ASAP since selection is so small you're guaranteed to get a lot of eyes on your game right now.

I'm cool with a soft opening, but it barely even comes across as being a storefront. It's missing the basics of what one would expect like categories, search function, anything at all. It's just a splash page with some games shown, 90% of which are "coming soon". I'm interested in seeing where they go with all of this.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
If they have events like the annual Steam sales then i'm fucked. I'm a sucker for the "90 PERCENT OFF!" 2 dollar game that just sits in my HUGE inventory of other unplayed games.
I mean, who isn't? ?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Erm...

Capture.JPG

Looks like they might be going with the jumping through hoops approach to discourage refund requests. I'd hold off on any purchases until stuff like this is confirmed. There's no way that IP address bit wouldn't fuck over most people.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Erm...

View attachment 185533

Looks like they might be going with the jumping through hoops approach to discourage refund requests. I'd hold off on any purchases until stuff like this is confirmed. There's no way that IP address bit wouldn't fuck over most people.

Looks bad but isn't this an email for accounts that haven't been previously verified? I have a verified Epic Games account already so I'd assume this wouldn't happen in my case. IDK though, not refunding anything atm.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Looks bad but isn't this an email for accounts that haven't been previously verified? I have a verified Epic Games account already so I'd assume this wouldn't happen in my case. IDK though, not refunding anything atm.

I dunno. I'm not assuming anything until it's all confirmed as this could just be a lazy copy-paste answer or something specifically for Fortnite. Gaming in general these days demands a "wait for the rest of the community to be cannon fodder for everything to see what the truth behind the product is"

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Sales now are a joke across most all platforms. I have not been impressed with any Steam sale for the last 3 years now. All talk and no show.

If this service can bring back the knockout deals, that would be something - but publishers dictate the price and they found out that the hype of a sale is more important than slicing games 80-90% off. Instead we are now seeing 50-60 across the board instead, and these are for games over 9 years old.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Sales now are a joke across most all platforms. I have not been impressed with any Steam sale for the last 3 years now. All talk and no show.

If this service can bring back the knockout deals, that would be something - but publishers dictate the price and they found out that the hype of a sale is more important than slicing games 80-90% off. Instead we are now seeing 50-60 across the board instead, and these are for games over 9 years old.
um if you think steam sales are bad, you should see Switch store.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

My current steam library
0aoPqub.jpg

I used to buy every bundle for a while, idle them for cards, and sell the cards (all automated) but cards stopped really selling a year ago so I stopped buying most bundles, just VR ones now. Still, thats 5k games I've got that I will never, ever play lol

The refund sounds awesome on paper but yeah if they need all that shit... fuck that. Still, it'll be nice to have a "real" competitor to steam, at the least I'd expect better sales to come forth from both now. I've had ~$250 in my steam wallet for years now and rarely buy anything anymore.

• 3WTF
  • 1Mic Drop
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even Origin doesn't make you jump through the hoops Epic is trying. It's a pretty painless process even through them.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I saw a reddit post saying this was misleading, the requirements are for the manual refunds shit they have now, the "no questions asked" refund system isn't in yet and should be in "within 14days". Although it seems it has restrictions too.

I don't really get the sales argument everytime people bring it up, I still buy stuff on Steam that's historical low. Is it every sales? Fuck no, there's a sale every couple months, I'm not buying that many games. But I always find something to buy on Steam every now and then, 2-3times a year or so. And yeah maybe it goes on sale 6months later on a 3rd party for a bit less but at some point you gotta buy shit and unless you're waiting 2+years before you buy anything, that's gonna happen regardless. I'm content buying shit for 12€ even if it goes on sale for 10.50€ 6months later, like at this point I stop giving a shit. Anything under 25€ is a good buy in my book.

The main thing I don't like about Steam pricing is their new games prices. I feel they should have deeper discount on new releases, I pretty much never buy a new release on Steam directly, because at best they sell -10% off and most of the time no sale at all(it's dev controlled after all), meanwhile I can buy the new releases on GMG or Voidu or Fanatical for like 20-25% off right from the start. And considering these games are full value and will degrade the fastest, it's a pretty big saving.

Not complaining about Epic offering some competition and getting Valve to move a bit, but on the flipside I wish these fucks weren't trying to be "competitive" by removing competition and buying exclusivity rights. Shit doesn't help anyone but themselves. Luckily so far all they're getting as exclusive is indie games, most of which I don't give a fuck about, and I can buy these way later too once they're on Steam in a sale.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The complaints about the Steam sales stems from the days when the selection was far smaller and the sales were infrequent. The ones we did get were really good, like Borderlands 2 for 85% off etc... Now that there are far more games, and devs have direct control over the sale price of their games at any time, and sales are weekly: We see an endless cavalcade of 50% off (who gives a shit about 50% off after all those sweet 85%'ers?) Then there's also just the lack of excitement about the sales themselves. Not only are the sales more frequent, but the big sale periods ditched the flash sales and daily sales, which took the endorphin highs of seeing a game you wanted hitting a flash sale. Things didn't really change when you boil it all down, but the way it's all presented has and people that have been around for a long-ass time are just apathetic about them. I can barely find the effort to look at a big seasonal sale on the first day now. I just use isthereanydeal.com to alert me to price thresholds for games I want.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have only asked Steam for one refund, which they did quickly and with no questions asked. I still feel a bit guilty about it to. I finished the game and the ending left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, so I refunded it. I don't think I would ask for a refund under those circumstances again.

Now something like a broken piece of shit like Fallout 76? You should be able to refund that crap all day.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Epic created a sponsored ad for Ashen on Facebook and the comments that were on that ad were insane. More so than what happened in the beginning of this thread. People blindly follow Steam so much that Im just amazed at the idiocy. I hate that everyone wants to have their own online platform, but its understandable on why they would want to. I just find it weird that its that big of a complaint when I open up any game I want to play with a totally separate icon.