EQ Classic? Not really.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
There has been four revision commits done on the EQ Classic project since January of this year including one done yesterday. Figured I'd just bump this and let you guys know. I still think the project is dead and am curious why Harakiri is still working on these little issues.

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
Good to know. Hope they complete the project and release a server before I'm dead. Not too optimistic though after following this thing for like six years and seeing how the Yeahlight shit happened.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So I can skip the leg work, what it's the point of this server with p99 running?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
So I can skip the leg work, what it's the point of this server with p99 running?
NEVER skip leg day.

really, the selling point is that it would be more authentically classic, whatever that means. they're dead set against a pvp server so I give zero fucks.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
EQ Classic is active again. Harakiri began phase 2 of the Auditor tests. Anyone that would like to participate (and already has a forum account) is welcome to apply.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
are they still stringing people along with this shit? it's been 8 years since they started during which time project 1999 has filled whatever niche they were hoping to fill. give it up.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
i remember something retarded like the lead guy didnt get offical approval from daybreak so he just stopped whatever he was doing for those 7 years that produced nothing of note

Last edited:

Jarek

Molten Core Raider
So I was in the first alpha test for EQC, and much to my surprise, they just opened up phase two. There's a new test server up, based in Antonica instead of the original tutorial test zone. Since I was in round one, I also have access to round 2 and the new testing forums. I have to find my old ISO disc since I moved recently and it's in one of about 30 boxes, but I'm definitely going back in ASAP.

Here's the deal with EQC: It's based on the original Trilogy client from 2000, and only that client will work. Therefore everything is completely authentic, from the UI to the midi music to spell graphics and effects, to all original zones, all of it is the real deal.

They've done a shit-ton of work on this thing, and the last test was pretty impressive. I had honestly given up on the project after Yeahlight bailed, but now I don't know. This thing may happen after all. If not, at least I'm going to enjoy the testing as much as possible, because the last time was really fun.

They're also accepting new testers if anyone wants to give it a go, info is on the site.

Last edited:

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So I was in the first alpha test for EQC, and much to my surprise, they just opened up phase two. There's a new test server up, based in Antonica instead of the original tutorial test zone. Since I was in round one, I also have access to round 2 and the new testing forums. I have to find my old ISO disc since I moved recently and it's in one of about 30 boxes, but I'm definitely going back in ASAP.

Here's the deal with EQC: It's based on the original Trilogy client from 2000, and only that client will work. Therefore everything is completely authentic, from the UI to the midi music to spell graphics and effects, to all original zones, all of it is the real deal.

They've done a shit-ton of work on this thing, and the last test was pretty impressive. I had honestly given up on the project after Yeahlight bailed, but now I don't know. This thing may happen after all. If not, at least I'm going to enjoy the testing as much as possible, because the last time was really fun.

They're also accepting new testers if anyone wants to give it a go, info is on the site.
the whole line of thinking here is insane. most differences between what's on project99 and the would be client on EQC are de minimis and some of them, such as the UI update, are huge improvements to the gameplay experience.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jarek

Molten Core Raider
the whole line of thinking here is insane. most differences between what's on project99 and the would be client on EQC are de minimis and some of them, such as the UI update, are huge improvements to the gameplay experience.

They were going for maximum nostalgia and authenticity. They wanted a time machine, but with decent bandwidth and ping instead of dialup.

You know it was actually a former EQClassic forum member that started Project 1999 if I remember correctly, because EQC has been dragging ass for so long. I still hope EQC gets finished, then we'll have another emu option.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
To tell you the truth, this along with P99 really do not excite me one bit. Old school is one thing, but these are different times. I dont want to sit staring at a spell book for 5 min before killing another mob, I dont want to kill placeholders for 4 hours until the one mob I want finally pops with hopes he drops that rare ass quest nugget for the next quest step out of 20.

Shit like this is just silly these days. I dont have the years to dedicate to something like this as I did in the original EQ, where it took me some 2 yrs to level up my Ranger to 50 something, I was 26 at the time with full time job, kid and wife. Maybe you were a kid or a college student at the time with tons of time, but I didnt, so trust me, shit just isnt worth it.

Grab a buddy and roll on some other EQ EMU server like VoG or 2002, where you can still enjoy the nostalgic run through EQ, still tough enough compared to todays games, but you dont have to expend 1000s of hours for the enjoyment.

I just got my 12 yr old to play with me on VoG over the Xmas break. We had tons of fun together without the shit to wade through. He told me that its still tougher than 99% of the games he plays on a reg basis.

Jarek

Molten Core Raider
I hear ya mkopec, I was 30 in 1999 myself, worked full time at a major railroad, a true cubicle warrior. I was basically Mr. Anderson in the Matrix without being Neo heh.

If you don't have the time you just don't. That's why having choices is so nice, but right now there aren't many choices for the old school experience. You have P99 which is kind of a RMT shithole these days from what I hear, and the official progression servers which are of course not very authentic. I guess it's up to emu to fill the old school gap because investors can't justify the kinds of major Capitol it requires to make a brand new throwback MMO.

I just think it would be cool having that option again, for folks who want it and can put in the time. Just farting around casually in original EQ would be fun in my opinion.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Mvdb50x.png

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
To tell you the truth, this along with P99 really do not excite me one bit. Old school is one thing, but these are different times. I dont want to sit staring at a spell book for 5 min before killing another mob, I dont want to kill placeholders for 4 hours until the one mob I want finally pops with hopes he drops that rare ass quest nugget for the next quest step out of 20.

Shit like this is just silly these days. I dont have the years to dedicate to something like this as I did in the original EQ, where it took me some 2 yrs to level up my Ranger to 50 something, I was 26 at the time with full time job, kid and wife. Maybe you were a kid or a college student at the time with tons of time, but I didnt, so trust me, shit just isnt worth it.

Grab a buddy and roll on some other EQ EMU server like VoG or 2002, where you can still enjoy the nostalgic run through EQ, still tough enough compared to todays games, but you dont have to expend 1000s of hours for the enjoyment.

I just got my 12 yr old to play with me on VoG over the Xmas break. We had tons of fun together without the shit to wade through. He told me that its still tougher than 99% of the games he plays on a reg basis.
me neither, but when i went back to eq 3 years ago i found that the game was much more streamlined than i remembered and loot drops went bonkers so you dont have to camp rare spawns for sweet loot. i played my old shaman, SK and monk for about a year. it was a hoot. i had to quit because RL got crazy. i probably will go back again this year. it was fun soloing almost all of Sleeper's Tomb with just me and dogdog.
djpkSlw.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user