EQ Classic? Not really.

axeman_sl

shitlord
If it's the database holding them back, that's not really a programming issue. It's just grunt work cross-referencing sources and being able to determine whether or not old allakhazam posts are legit.

I'd say it takes about a year of someone working full time to do anaccuratedatabase, i.e. P99 quality, which is 95% perfect with the remaining inconsistencies being inconsequential to the game (it really doesn't matter if some obscure mob drops the wrong amount of copper coins). If they haven't got a person working on it full time, or able to track down the correct data, then it can take even longer. However, if they're willing to skimp on the accuracy and just concentrate on the things that matter, they could go for 75% and finish much sooner.

I still won't believe it until I see it, though. I've made a lot of MUDs, emulated servers for various games and other such non-pro development projects, and I've never ever seen something finish if it ends up taking more than two years to make. If the project has devoted and capable people behind it, it won't take that long to make; if it doesn't have that, the project never finishes. One persistent guy can string a community along for months and months with little updates that make it look like he's trying to finish it, but if it's just one guy and he isn't recruiting other people to work with him, it won't finish.

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
If it's the database holding them back, that's not really a programming issue. It's just grunt work cross-referencing sources and being able to determine whether or not old allakhazam posts are legit.

I'd say it takes about a year of someone working full time to do anaccuratedatabase, i.e. P99 quality, which is 95% perfect with the remaining inconsistencies being inconsequential to the game (it really doesn't matter if some obscure mob drops the wrong amount of copper coins). If they haven't got a person working on it full time, or able to track down the correct data, then it can take even longer. However, if they're willing to skimp on the accuracy and just concentrate on the things that matter, they could go for 75% and finish much sooner.

I still won't believe it until I see it, though. I've made a lot of MUDs, emulated servers for various games and other such non-pro development projects, and I've never ever seen something finish if it ends up taking more than two years to make. If the project has devoted and capable people behind it, it won't take that long to make; if it doesn't have that, the project never finishes. One persistent guy can string a community along for months and months with little updates that make it look like he's trying to finish it, but if it's just one guy and he isn't recruiting other people to work with him, it won't finish.
Thanks for the insight axeman.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
It is sad people still think this sees the light of day. This is a prime example of why businesses need project managers as part of their model. If they just left everything up to the developers nothing would ever get done.

imijj_sl

shitlord
This seems like a completely pointless project to me when P99 has existed as long as it has. I mean, a lot of the non-classic aspects of P99 make it a better experience.

I wish the developers interested in classic EQ like this would just make their own game using classic EQ as a base.

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
This seems like a completely pointless project to me when P99 has existed as long as it has. I mean, a lot of the non-classic aspects of P99 make it a better experience.

I wish the developers interested in classic EQ like this would just make their own game using classic EQ as a base.
I think what people want is a fresh, populated, classic server. P99 is great and all but the timeline is way off being stuck in Kunark for so long. I personally would love to experience the classic world with the trilogy client where everyone is starting over. That's why people are still holding out hope for EQ Classic, no matter how crazy that is.

Origin

Molten Core Raider

P99 is a cum infested shit hole that was developed on the run. 3+ years of Kunark, sketchy GMing, a bunch of RMT, a raid scene with retarded rules that make no sense etc.

EQClassic was supposed to be the second coming of Jesus, i mean EQ.

If EQClassic were to ever come out, or if any alternative to P99 was to exist, P99s population would drop to like 200-300 people prime time.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
P99 is a cum infested shit hole that was developed on the run. 3+ years of Kunark, sketchy GMing, a bunch of RMT, a raid scene with retarded rules that make no sense etc.

If EQClassic were to ever come out, or if any alternative to P99 was to exist, P99s population would drop to like 200-300 people prime time.
Sadly no one wants to put in the work to make one.

imijj_sl

shitlord

Don't kid yourself. If there was a mass exodus from P99 to EQ classic it would be maybe a few months before you hated EQ Classic for the exact reasons you hate P99 now.

I think P99 is a pretty well-run sever, honestly. And the coding doesn't seem that bad to me. Complaining about GMs on a free server is laughable, as is complaining about EQ Raiding in general. It will always be a complete clusterfuck dominated by the lowest common denominator. That's the way it was in 1999 and that's the way it will always be.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I wish P99 would roll up another Classic. I just simply missed the boat and didn't have time due to graduate work and family stuff. I have some extra time and the itch but would like to see the classic areas have a little population to them.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I think P99 is a pretty well-run sever, honestly.
I agree, with the income they generate from RMTs, and the banning of people under the "remove RMT from server" guise, serving as a win-win to them (removing assets from economy, maintaining price level of the assets they RMT), they got a great show going.

imijj_sl

shitlord
I agree, with the income they generate from RMTs, and the banning of people under the "remove RMT from server" guise, serving as a win-win to them (removing assets from economy, maintaining price level of the assets they RMT), they got a great show going.
rrr_img_66367.jpg

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Just send an email to platlord from an adress linked to a P99 account, tell him you are looking to unload a few 100k, some fungis etc.

Watch your account get banned and never receive a reply.

Do you still not understand? Do you thing Brogean & co are in this because they like you and the other sparkling stars of their community so much? That it is a 100% altruistic project?

The P99 staff thinks its community is retarded and obnoxious, and given the choice they would insta-ban it entirely. Unfortunately their income comes from P99, so they have to "deal with people" and pretend to like it, which they are not very good at.

As long as you keep believing it will be fine though.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
6 months to implement a guild delete command. astounding progress. the people on that board are so completely dellusional its disturbing.

When the brains behind this thing quit citing that this would never see the light of day this should have been an indicator to everyone else that the thing is vaporware.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't claim to know a lot about this server, but it seems curious that instead of addressing the complete and total lack of a database, the lone developer seems to be content in fixing abstract bugs. Unless someone is going to bother developing actual content for the server, I can't think of any reason why he would even waste his time. Reading the notes of the EQMac project, which has a huge swath of data which was mine from Al'Kabor and is working off of an already semi functional database, it is clearly a monumental task to get that major piece of the game straight. It seems like the client is basically functional and has been for some time, but there is nobody who is willing to do the ground up content build-out required to make use of it. This all circles me back to the original question, why is he even bothering?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Haynar on P99 doing WORK atm tho.

Its like a whole new P99.... still in Kunark but a project is a project.

Couldn't be happier to have him building off what Null and Alecta started for red too.

tramtrist_sl

shitlord
6 months to implement a guild delete command. astounding progress. the people on that board are so completely dellusional its disturbing.

When the brains behind this thing quit citing that this would never see the light of day this should have been an indicator to everyone else that the thing is vaporware.
hello fucksticks.. what revision are they on now? wish a.vu/la was still up
frown.png