EQ Classic? Not really.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, there was a gameplay mechanics alpha but the lead dev recently quit. However, the other dev is very capable of completing it and is still working on the project.
Game-play alpha?
Was it available for download by everyone? Or did the "dev" just record a video demo?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
hara needs to get secrets back on board
I would be glad to work on it with Harakiri if it means it would get done. Keep in mind I don't really need the source code to contribute fixes at this stage of EQClassic's life.

Though, I feel like I have burned that bridge a long time ago. I can understand fully why he wouldn't want to work with me - I broke a promise about not releasing the EQMac Windows client that we silently agreed to. I'm not proud of that looking back on it considering I was the only reason that it even saw the light of day, and pretty much caused SOE to have to shut the server down indirectly by 'opening the doors' to the hacking community. Yeah, I've done some shitty things, I know.

And Harakiri, if you're reading this, I am deeply sorry that the release ever happened. I was immature to break our pact for the whole sake of wanting to see what would happen with the influx of players. I was genuinely hoping that SOE would have seen a demand for a classic server after doing something showing them they have a gold mine - that end goal of mine was never ultimately reached. I had no reason to screw over you, or your project, or Yeahlight - I was selfish and attention seeking, and I apologize sincerely.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
and pretty much caused SOE to have to shut the server down indirectly by 'opening the doors' to the hacking community.
Can you stop acting like you had anything to do with EQMac shutting down? There have been hacks on EQMac for years with the OSX client. Were you responsible for EQOA shutting down? The Matrix Online? Star Wars Galaxies? No you weren't, and you weren't responsible for EQMac shutting down either. SOE decided to pull the plug on another dead game/server.

Yeah, I've done some shitty things
We can see through the fake regret you're trying to show. You're not a big deal, please calm down.

I was genuinely hoping that SOE would have seen a demand for a classic server after doing something showing them they have a gold mine
You're genuinely retarded for ever thinking this would convince them of anything.

Just leave the EverQuest community behind Secrets, or at least abandon your sullied name. No one gives a shit about you and your contributions have and continue to be meaningless.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Game-play alpha?
Was it available for download by everyone? Or did the "dev" just record a video demo?
They a phase 1 alpha where it was invite only.

Then phase 2, they opened the invitations to whomever wanted in. You had to answer a small questionnaire and they would let anyone in.

It was a game 100% playable in the original tutorial zone.

It was a lot of fun. They had a dungeon setup in that zone and endless leveling opportunities. They had your experience rate at 300-500% (I don't remember exactly).
Every class was available and every playable race during classic (including Iksar). You would hail (or attack) a level 1 mob to instantly "spawn" another mob that was the level range you were after. The spawnable mobs had 3 connable tiers. Easy (blue), normal (white) hard (yellow). You could spawn up to 5 mobs at a time, so wizards and druids were able to quad kite.

Because it was an unlimited amount of mobs that could spawn, the zone worked fine for lots of people. Granted, the most that ever played were like 36 people at once.

The tutorial zone linked to the Arena (the one found in Lake Rathetear, where the Best of the Best challenges were). This was to test out PVP, but no one used it that I can recall.
You could also find the "secret" zone with the help of a rogue with max level unlocking. The secret zone was the evil race character select screen zone. Kind of a small cave with lava in the middle of it.

Mobs dropped spells, weapons and armor. Weapons were shit like "1hb Weapon I (through V)". It was every weapon type leveled up to V, which was incredibly uber. The 1hb weapons, for example, were like 12/15 with an 80 point DD stun proc.
The armor had 3 tiers. Standard "cloth, plate, leather or chain", another step that had lots of stats, then a final one that had effects like Flowing Thought and Grim Aura.

It was a fun server. Really reminded you about what playing the game was like, and those of us that played made every bug report we possibly could, and they were getting fixed damn quickly. Unfortunately, people raced to 60 for whatever reason and stopped logging on. The server eventually was empty, so they took it down. Then some 6 months later, Yeahlight (the lead dev) was tired of dealing with peoples shit and quit the project after spending 5+ years creating it.

Harakiri, his second in command, is continuing the work by himself. No word yet if they are going to re-open the alpha server, but the previously unanswered bug reports have been worked on for the past month.

Things like... Harm Touch can not Fizzle. A new character zoning into your zone can now see you, even if you are invisible/hidden. Just like it was back in the day.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Can you stop acting like you had anything to do with EQMac shutting down? There have been hacks on EQMac for years with the OSX client. Were you responsible for EQOA shutting down? The Matrix Online? Star Wars Galaxies? No you weren't, and you weren't responsible for EQMac shutting down either. SOE decided to pull the plug on another dead game/server.
Since you are not the target recipient of that apology... I'd normally ignore it, however, since you address me specifically, I will respond in kind:

I could care less about having credit on my internet name over something that I did. Gone are the days where I want recognition for my deeds; I operate on the sole purpose of making a 14-year-old game enjoyable again. I never claimed responsibility for it; I am making a statement based off of what I observed. There is no claim here; there is only statements and an apology for a promise I broke - not directed at you, by the way.

It seems like every post I make on these forums is regarded as some sort of attention grabbing scheme by you. Which, in a way, is true; You post on internet forums to have your post read. That gives you attention, sure. So I guess you are, in a way, right. But by that logic you are also seeking attention by blatantly assaulting an internet persona in hopes that people will side with you. That is the same kind of attention I am getting, except, I am gaining more and you are not. Did I win ForumQuest?

We can see through the fake regret you're trying to show. You're not a big deal, please calm down.
Again, I do not care if you believe my sincerity, as one, the apology was not directed at you, and two, I understand that it may not be accepted.

Though, that has me wonder: If I am not a big deal, why do I have anything to regret - and why am I constantly discussed by you and many others - if my accomplishments are quote 'meaningless'?

I don't see the long list of enhancements you have submitted to EQEmulator or Project 1999, either. I do not see you making progress on any other rival emulator; as if they were meaningful they would be plastered all over these forums - just as projects I have been involved in are.

You're genuinely retarded for ever thinking this would convince them of anything.
I do not see how I am less mentally capable than anyone else for trying to spark innovation in a company who has desperately needed it for years. Unless you expected me to know the results beforehand as they were exact, then yes, I would be considered retarded if I absolutely knew for sure what would happen in the future and did it anyway. Though, I guess I could also be considered a psychic if I knew that. It is, however, retarded to claim that I can predict the future, as that is obviously not the case, and if you know of anyone who can predict the future please forward them to scientists for observation.

Just leave the EverQuest community behind Secrets, or at least abandon your sullied name. No one gives a shit about you and your contributions have and continue to be meaningless.
Judging how much you know about me, you seem to 'give a shit' about me and my contributions, otherwise you would not bother responding to my posts.
I'm sorry, but I am here to stay, and there's not anything you can do to stop me. Welcome to the internet.

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
Not that it matters- My impression of Secrets is an excellent one. I fucking love the fact that Secrets is one of the best developer of shit type of shit. I just want a damn Eqclassic server. If Secrets can help get this shit running, then I beg you Secrets to jump on the wagon and make this shit happen. I think as a community we need to stand together and get shit done for the game that we all love. Everquest is such a excellent game I would do anything for a classic server. I might murder someone for a chance to play EQclassic again. And fuck P99 because it's not classic and I guess I am just a lone wolf when it comes to loving Everquest.

Fucking love the game.
Make it happen.
Go. If i had the money I would just pay someone to release a awesome server. The need is there, but we need to forget our pride. Just get it done

Everyone has their own skills. I'm a Nurse Practitioner who makes bank working in an ER 3 days a week 12 hours shifts. We all have our own skills, I just wish I had the skills of someone like Secrets or Rogean/Nilbog to create such a masterpiece of EQclassic.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Not that it matters- My impression of Secrets is an excellent one. I fucking love the fact that Secrets is one of the best developer of shit type of shit. I just want a damn Eqclassic server. If Secrets can help get this shit running, then I beg you Secrets to jump on the wagon and make this shit happen. I think as a community we need to stand together and get shit done for the game that we all love. Everquest is such a excellent game I would do anything for a classic server. I might murder someone for a chance to play EQclassic again. And fuck P99 because it's not classic and I guess I am just a lone wolf when it comes to loving Everquest.

Fucking love the game.
Make it happen.
Go. If i had the money I would just pay someone to release a awesome server. The need is there, but we need to forget our pride. Just get it done

Everyone has their own skills. I'm a Nurse Practitioner who makes bank working in an ER 3 days a week 12 hours shifts. We all have our own skills, I just wish I had the skills of someone like Secrets or Rogean/Nilbog to create such a masterpiece of EQclassic.
This. I'd rather do something for the sake of Classic EQ, rather than to be the developer whose name is plastered all over the game's credits.

That is why I am open to contributing to any project that needs it. I don't even want the end result code if it came down to it; I just want to see it happen. That's always been the case.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
In this instance I feel that if Secrets really wanted to apologize he would do so privately to Harakiri. These grand posts on a forum which Harakiri most likely does not read can only be seen as attention seeking imo.

Sorry Secrets pal, that's just my interpretation, no flaming intended.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I do not see how I am less mentally capable than anyone else for trying to spark innovation in a company who has desperately needed it for years
Because re-releasing a 14 year old graphical MUD is innovation? SOE is a shit company, but EQNext is a pretty big innovation if you ask me. Certainly more than releasing a server based on an old dead game that wouldn't even give them a financial return.

You knew it wouldn't ever work, that's just as dumb as Yeahlight thinking SOE would accept his proposal. You both do shit for your own personal gain and attention - nothing else. If you both really thought that SOE would work with you, then you are both truly retarded and have no idea in the slightest how game developers (or companies in general) work.

Continue riding on the coat tails of people who have actual talent and taking credit from them. Maybe one day you will have a shred of relevance in an irrelevant gaming community.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
In this instance I feel that if Secrets really wanted to apologize he would do so privately to Harakiri. These grand posts on a forum which Harakiri most likely does not read can only be seen as attention seeking imo.

Sorry Secrets pal, that's just my interpretation, no flaming intended.
I understand where you are coming from with that thought, no offense taken.

The last time I apologized privately to a member of that project, it was to Yeahlight (as a self-conscience-clearing thing) and it did not go over well, and I do not fault him for reacting the way he did. Then again, it's more like sticking your dick in a beehive that you already pissed off.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Because re-releasing a 14 year old graphical MUD is innovation? SOE is a shit company, but EQNext is a pretty big innovation if you ask me. Certainly more than releasing a server based on an old dead game that wouldn't even give them a financial return.

You knew it wouldn't ever work, that's just as dumb as Yeahlight thinking SOE would accept his proposal. You both do shit for your own personal gain and attention, nothing else. If you both really thought that SOE would work with you, then you are both truly retarded and have no idea in the slightest how game developers (or companies in general) work.
Yes, it's innovation. No, you don't have to think it is. The amount of effort that you think it is, versus what it actually is, is more than you think.

About the innovation with SOE: Where did I say that I wanted SOE to work with me? I said I wanted to bring to their attention that there was a demand for a classic EverQuest server, not that I wanted them to make a classic EQ server with me.
EQNext, while it doesn't appeal to me, is a pretty big innovation no doubt and certainly no easy feat.

As for how game companies work, I am an innovator first and a businessperson last. I would rather make smaller profits but an absolutely fantastic game. Business smart? No, but I am not on this earth to become a millionaire or some powerful authority so that I can enslave others to do my bidding. I am here to make it enjoyable for those who are residing on our planet. I cannot speak for the rest of society, but that is my stance.

Why not both money and enjoyment? Because if a game is good enough, people will donate their savings to see it survive without some incentive to give the commodities. Just look at the amount of people that have offered supplies, money, and other essentials to get a classic EQ server running. Respect is earned through quality productions.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I understand where you are coming from with that thought, no offense taken.

The last time I apologized privately to a member of that project, it was to Yeahlight (as a self-conscience-clearing thing) and it did not go over well, and I do not fault him for reacting the way he did. Then again, it's more like sticking your dick in a beehive that you already pissed off.
Yeahlight overreacting and having an emotional miscarriage over nothing? That doesn't sound like stable, rational Yealight that I know.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm still not sure what people have against Project 1999. It's essentially classic, lots of people play...?