EQ Classic? Not really.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Code? Prob not, DB? Prob. What you contributing to the community other than your idiocy?
Beta keys, the Neverwinter thread, and some various other goodies. I think you really are taking the wrong approach to these forums coming from the perspective that you are. I'd love to see your tune change but comparing your posts to2011I doubt that will happen, unfortunately, since you could have legitimately contributed something worthwhile.

Kegz_sl

shitlord
Beta keys, the Neverwinter thread, and some various other goodies. I think you really are taking the wrong approach to these forums coming from the perspective that you are. I'd love to see your tune change but comparing your posts to2011I doubt that will happen, unfortunately, since you could have legitimately contributed something worthwhile.
Sorry I cant read what you're typing, too busy prepping a Velious db so you can play EQ for free. Let me know when youre ready to learn SQL and C++ and really do something worthwhile, like I am
wink.png

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeahlight did a big update post so the followers understand what's really going on.
http://www.eqclassic.org/forums/view...p=56584#p56584
Yeahlight_sl said:
Many of you have recently reached out to me asking about the project's status, so I might as well take the time to address everyone.

Testing started on April 5th and I recently closed it on July 9th. The testing environment was very small, so our testers simply exhausted the content (I was only expecting the content to keep them busy for three or four weeks). I have recently become very busy at work, so I am not yet sure when the next testing phase will begin.

We did discover a few key things from this first testing phase. Starting with the bad, roughly 10% of users experienced an issue with the UDP/IP handshaking stage (this stage occurs when connecting to the server and while zoning). The severity of this issue ranged from an occasional problem to completely preventing the connection. We do not yet have enough data to say this for certain, but this seems to be a problem with recovering from packet loss during the handshaking stage (a number of these users were connecting through hotspots and other wireless connections). We have also experienced a number of issues with running the client under Windows 8, but I believe most of these have been resolved by now. On the plus side, we learned that our work is unbelievably stable. In the 2,250+ hours the server was online, we only experienced two crashes, both of which were due to silly mistakes (an infinite loop in the forage routine and a race condition in the PC trading routine). This level of stability for software that was never tested in the past is just absurd and we are really happy about that.

As some of you already know, I reached out to SoE in February with a partnership proposal, which exchanged full liability and monthly subscriptions for the rights to possess and distribute their intellectual property (IP). Although the deal was entirely in their favor (I would have essentially been an unpaid slave), they ultimately said no. I believe I have made it quite clear in the past how critical legitimate data is to me (there is no close; you either have it or you don't), so it should come as no surprise when I say I have zero interest in hosting a server without it. Plus, despite what so many others will have you believe, it is unlawful to distribute SoE's IP without their consent--you cannot argue against this.

Although I was not expecting SoE to accept my proposal, I was relying on them doing so. At this point, my only option for this project is to create an original content server, but I doubt I will have the motivation to do so. While I refuse to be involved with any classic-era content server, this does not mean one cannot exist under our work.
He was asked if this means that EQC was ceasing development, and said:
Yeahlight_sl said:
No, I would like to finish what I started, but I will be out of the game for the next few months.

frqkjt_sl

shitlord
"Although I was not expecting SoE to accept my proposal, I was relying on them doing so. At this point, my only option for this project is to create an original content server, but I doubt I will have the motivation to do so. While I refuse to be involved with any classic-era content server, this does not mean one cannot exist under our work."

"No, I would like to finish what I started, but I will be out of the game for the next few months."

So wait, he's going to finish so there's a function game, but not host a server himself? Also, his reasoning makes no sense. Here he has this years long project with many hours devoted to it. Implementation of this project relies on SoE sharing data, which he says he didn't expect them to do. "I know, I'll start a years long project, the completion of which to my satisfaction will depend on a condition which I fully expect will not happen." What the hell is that.

axeman_sl

shitlord
He has clearly grown bored of it but won't admit it. Nothing makes any sense if that was his stance from the beginning, and it's clear that it wasn't. All this "I won't actually host the server or make the database" crap came up fairly recently after the project had stagnated (again). He has even covered his ass against people who would suggest that he reverse-engineer a database the way P99 have done by claiming that his opinion was always "there is no close; you either have it or you don't." After spending so much time and effort, and keeping so many people waiting for this long, it's understandable that he finds it difficult to tell them that he just can't be fucked anymore. It's easier to say that you've become so busy with work that you have literally no spare time in your life anymore, and that you never really intended to make the whole server anyway. It'll make it sound less 'I give up' and more 'this is where I wanted to take it, now I'm finished.'

yraapt_sl

shitlord
Everyone who was in the beta says this server is legit, but this really sounds like something you would hear from a vaporware project.
frown.png

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
YL's long term goal for the project is to make a SoD style server. Not quite the same thing that SoD has done. He's going to implement D&D style design around character building. He just wanted to have a fully accurate client to design off of. He figures that with the zones available in the trilogy pack, he could create a system that remains fresh for 10 years.

Harakiri, the project's other developer, is the one that is really interested in a "classic" EQ. The only down side to that is everyone already knows everything that happens there. It has a limited shelf-life. People come in, reach the end and then what? Farm that end forever? There's only so much gear your character can possibly acquire. So those people move on and a new group comes in to take their place.

I realize that's what P99 has been doing, but people farm the high end just to have a leg up for when Velious goes live. It'll happen sooner or later and everyone will race to the end... but then what? What motivation do you have to keep playing the game knowing that you will NEVER see another expansion? Your character will forever be stuck in whatever state they make it to. Even if you get best in slot everything, what else could you possibly do? There is only so much available for you to consume, and knowing that it'll never advance beyond that point gives you no desire to continue going.
Especially because more and more people will get to the exact same place that you're at already. Now you have 50... 100... 200 people. All in "best in slot" gear. Why continue playing this?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
When he says exhausted ... he means it.

We were testing unconscious mechanics towards the end.

(Yes you can type but not back space characters or send the message while unconscious)

It is truly glorious

Why continue playing this?
I feel like that all the time in EQ, and in every MMO really.

But the thing with EQ is that it just provides so much stuff to do in that time. I play EQ Mac and I've been playing it for several months casually, and I'm still only in the 30's. But I've fought in every cool zone from the good ole days, and I've gone to get my Mino Axe, and I've gone to kill Dvinn and all that good stuff. And yet I still have so much more to do, even just in the old world. Then I have massive amounts of stuff to do in Kunark, and then Velious, and then maybe Luclin and PoP. But I could be playing this another year or two, easily. And that's just with my current batch of characters. If there is plenty of groups and raids going on in the high levels, then I would be very likely to twink some other classes and level those up too, adding probably another year or more again.

It's just such a long term game if you love it that much.

I'm not sure what SoD is, is it Shards of Dalaya? Because I played that for a good 4 years too, maybe 5, lost track. But that has the exact same issue of running out of content eventually. I think the only way you'll get unlimited new content is playing WoW or Eve or something. Everything else is going to have the same content cap eventually. But you could say the same thing about every single player game. Why play Baldur's Gate or whatever if you'll reach the end in a month or two. The answer is - cause the journey is worth doing.

I feel like that all the time in EQ, and in every MMO really.

But the thing with EQ is that it just provides so much stuff to do in that time. I play EQ Mac and I've been playing it for several months casually, and I'm still only in the 30's. But I've fought in every cool zone from the good ole days, and I've gone to get my Mino Axe, and I've gone to kill Dvinn and all that good stuff. And yet I still have so much more to do, even just in the old world. Then I have massive amounts of stuff to do in Kunark, and then Velious, and then maybe Luclin and PoP. But I could be playing this another year or two, easily. And that's just with my current batch of characters. If there is plenty of groups and raids going on in the high levels, then I would be very likely to twink some other classes and level those up too, adding probably another year or more again.

It's just such a long term game if you love it that much.

I'm not sure what SoD is, is it Shards of Dalaya? Because I played that for a good 4 years too, maybe 5, lost track. But that has the exact same issue of running out of content eventually. I think the only way you'll get unlimited new content is playing WoW or Eve or something. Everything else is going to have the same content cap eventually. But you could say the same thing about every single player game. Why play Baldur's Gate or whatever if you'll reach the end in a month or two. The answer is - cause the journey is worth doing.
Sod is when they added mercs to eq1.

Ahh I wouldn't want to play that. I was reading about epics recently and saw someone say they did their epic solo with mercs. Meh. That's why I love EQ Mac so much, it went far enough to have lots of content and I actually like the PoK books, done more than my fair share of travelling. But it doesn't go so far that it starts killing the core game.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Yeahlight needs to make the binaries available and give out empty copies of his database then, if he is not organizing an effort to build a database of his own; otherwise he'll be done with the code and there will be no world for it to run. It's going to take several dozen people months to create classic EQ from scratch, so the sooner it begins, the sooner it ends. I'd be willing to contribute to a serious classic recreation effort.

...or be evil and bribe somebody at p99. Uthgaard? you still got that DB copy? I'm only half kidding.

A unique content server might be fun, but it entirely depends on how they do it. If they start adjusting spell strength, what levels spells are obtained, or even which classes get certain spells, then I'd probably pass on that, unless it was somehow very well done. (which I have no confidence anybody would do) If they started doing shit like making level 1 mobs easier to kill for newbies, I'm gone.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I doubt most people would know what to do with the shit he wrote.

Moreover, Nilbog's stab at his project when we talked was the amount of content he had to do from scratch.

IE pathing nodes for everything, quest texts etc... he's right, it is a ton to do.

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
Well since Yeahlight has had so many followers- people desperately begging for EQclassic to launch why doesn't he just let someone else step in and assume the risk of hosting a server and producing his project? He is basically Rogean but Sean actually doesn't give a shit about sony and their rights to the game. I understand Yeahlights position but he doesn't want to get in any legal trouble from the begining. Give it to someone else damnit- Hell give it to Toop or some shit. I just want a classic version of the game or a reset in p99 without TMO haha.

It's taking way too long. By the time it comes out, (if it ever does) we will already have EQ Next, and maybe p99 velious and whatever else. It's quite competitive and they are just taking it way too slow. They need a team.