EQ Classic? Not really.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeahlight's version will be a custom content server.

Harakiiri's version will be classic. At least as far as I've read. But Hara will have to work on the DB or maybe get outside help later for that. The bigger issue they're running into now is how to make the classic client run on all Windows XP, Vista, 7 & 8 machines. Currently 15% are completely unable to log onto the server. They need to fix that, but it'll be a project for once they get back underway for developing.

Roxby

Lord Nagafen Raider
They are really taking the wrong approach. There is a big community out there, from P99 people to members of this board who would love to help create a real EQ Classic game.

Personally, I have over 15 years of server experience, I work for global consulting and hardware company. With resources like Cloud service providers you can get hardware easy and cheap nowadays.

I feel there may be other motives here, it doesn't make sense why Yeahlight would rather bring production to a halt then get some help..

YL has no intention of taking even minimal legal risk. I'm sure he is capable of hosting a classic server, he simply doesn't want it to be possible to face any reproductions.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Dude sounds like a kid with downs who thinks he can build a space plane out of fucking pop sickle sticks and elmers glue. Why the hell are you people following this guy?

Vegetoee_sl

shitlord
Dude sounds like a kid with downs who thinks he can build a space plane out of fucking pop sickle sticks and elmers glue. Why the hell are you people following this guy?
I sadly agree. As long as you aren't making money off this, Sony won't say shit. If it is free and for fans then he should have nothing to worry about, even if it is not on the damn Titanium client and EMU clients. You still have shards, and yes I know shards was messed with to where it is not "EQ". Still, he should allow people to help him with it if he is this close. I know it has been his pet project and he is attached to it, but what happens when he is done? Does he not give the code out and not create anything for fear of Sony? He sure as hell has said he does not want to host anything, just create a solid classic game that someone else can run, so why not let that someone else help already. JFC, his project will mean shit if EQN or any other MMO comes out that is good.

Kegz_sl

shitlord
What's very disappointing is his inability to want to work with others, especially now that it has come to a head and years of work is about to be set aside for no reason. I had contacted him about assisting in the database situation being that we are going to release classic-velious full working database and compiled binaries soon for anyone to run a server, his code to bring it even a step further with the old UI etc. would have been a welcomed changed by the entire community.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Kegz when it comes to Yeahlight and what those of us who tested saw him do just overnight based on our reporting... I don't think that guy actually needs any help (at least for coding mechanics and fixing bugs) which is mind blowing.

He's going to need help making all the NPC pathing, quest scripting and mob spawn placement/quest text for sure. That's just data entry work if he makes a tool for it and I'm sure he would whip one up in seconds.

My beef right now is that he's not going for the full classic server.

However, knowing SoE and how Emus of EQ are going (stop comparing it to the WoW server that got slammed, its not the same company/product).. I'm pretty certain he could START down the classic road and he gets a C&D order go with the custom content but still Norrath route.

I'll be accused of the highest crimes of ball gargling but I really have to say I've never seen a dev in any arena like YL in terms of skill and dedication.

I hope he changes his mind about going classic, he absoutely has the right team of testers to make shit so classic it squeaks.

The group discussions, let alone knowing what I was seeing people testing and others spending many hours helping them remember and test in every scenario... we'll have to see what picks up this fall. You'll get goose bumps logging in with the old UI, graphics and spell effects.

Then again, if he isn't going the true classic route, my interest will greatly wane... we'll see.

PS: Harakiri if you read this, stop being such an anti-PvP jerk. YL iirc said he probably be happy slapping a 4 level range ruleset and just pvp max/min values after his PvE iscompletely done. It isn't going to draw away from your PvE crowd and can only help bring more people who can offer classic information into the community pool (PvPers also have this knack for finding bugs too). You EQ players who play for PvE only just need to learn to sit back and /popcorn the day's PvP events and enjoy it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
What he's done wouldn't work with your server. He's doesn't believe that the programming he and Harakiri have done would be compatible with ANY server.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Kegz when it comes to Yeahlight and what those of us who tested saw him do just overnight based on our reporting... I don't think that guy actually needs any help (at least for coding mechanics and fixing bugs) which is mind blowing.

He's going to need help making all the NPC pathing, quest scripting and mob spawn placement/quest text for sure. That's just data entry work if he makes a tool for it and I'm sure he would whip one up in seconds.

My beef right now is that he's not going for the full classic server.

However, knowing SoE and how Emus of EQ are going (stop comparing it to the WoW server that got slammed, its not the same company/product).. I'm pretty certain he could START down the classic road and he gets a C&D order go with the custom content but still Norrath route.

I'll be accused of the highest crimes of ball gargling but I really have to say I've never seen a dev in any arena like YL in terms of skill and dedication.

I hope he changes his mind about going classic, he absoutely has the right team of testers to make shit so classic it squeaks.

The group discussions, let alone knowing what I was seeing people testing and others spending many hours helping them remember and test in every scenario... we'll have to see what picks up this fall. You'll get goose bumps logging in with the old UI, graphics and spell effects.

Then again, if he isn't going the true classic route, my interest will greatly wane... we'll see.

PS: Harakiri if you read this, stop being such an anti-PvP jerk. YL iirc said he probably be happy slapping a 4 level range ruleset and just pvp max/min values after his PvE iscompletely done. It isn't going to draw away from your PvE crowd and can only help bring more people who can offer classic information into the community pool (PvPers also have this knack for finding bugs too). You EQ players who play for PvE only just need to learn to sit back and /popcorn the day's PvP events and enjoy it.
You fuckers are going to be in nursing homes before he releases anything.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Yeah, a bunch of senile old farts going on about "the good old days" while wearing nappiesdoessound like the ideal playerbase for a classic EQ emulator.

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
Fuck I'd be happy with just a restart of P99. If EQClassic.org isn't going to come out then we need another P99 without all the corruption and fuck TMO scumbag.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oh, the hilarity of singling out one guild as the downfall of P99. Because P99 wasn't a shithole before TMO became dominant, really.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Same players, different guild. It's not TMO's fault, it's the developers' fault for refusing to acknowledge a server-breaking problem that stems not from the playerbase's inability to cooperate but from the dev team's inability to sufficiently emulate the fact that Everquest had like two dozen servers. From the very first day (well, a couple of weeks in, technically), P99's #1 problem has been the fact that there was too many players for the content. Unlike a live server, emu servers tend to consist mostly of hardcore veterans. They failed to account for this and thought they could make a server work when there's four times as many players as the content can support. Without the ability to move to a different server, your only alternative is to quit, like so many people have. Considering how many players have tried P99, how good the server itself is, and the fact that it's literally the only real option for classic Everquest, it's telling that it has less than 1k players on in its busiest hour, and just a few hundred in the daytime. It could have been five times that, but the devs won't admit that there's a problem that can't be blamed on the players. All TMO (and their predecessors) have done is make sure they're the ones who get the content instead of whatever other guilds exist, all of whom would do the exact same thing if they were able.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
You sound mad bro.

Either way you clearly didnt play classic EQ. Servers would have up to 2000 people playing at once or more(thats like 3-4 times what p99 has?) and id assume most had anywhere from 5-10 guilds competing for raid content. The fact is the type of person and community that form around a classic EQ server is pure scum, accept it. Case and point;

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=115597

Agraza

Registered Hutt
You know what having different servers to handle those interested in the content is called? Instancing. Tunare and Veeshan were different instances of the game EverQuest. Instancing is so fucking win. It's even better when you can have it on demand inside your server. It's likeInception, an instance inside of an instance.

axeman_sl

shitlord
You sound mad bro.

Either way you clearly didnt play classic EQ. Servers would have up to 2000 people playing at once or more(thats like 3-4 times what p99 has?) and id assume most had anywhere from 5-10 guilds competing for raid content. The fact is the type of person and community that form around a classic EQ server is pure scum, accept it. Case and point;

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=115597
80% of those players were running around in Lake Rathe and shit like that. It's kind of hilarious of you to accuse me of not having played classic EQ and then in the next sentence you display you ignorance of the defining difference between emulated EQ and actual classic EQ. The only thing worse than a "you clearly didn't <something>" douchebag is when they take it to the next level by following up that fateful sentence with a declaration of utter idiocy like you did. If you think there's no difference in player habits between live classic EQ and P99, you have no business trying to flame other people's knowledge of classic EQ. Please obtain intelligence before posting.