EQ F2P- Returning Players & Current Content

Zx88_sl

shitlord
No didn't get it because it's a pain in the ass, even with higher levels, theatre of blood sucks. In a raid me and 2 other necro's dominated the dps lists, the 2 necro's had epic 2.5 and ou could definitely notice the difference. Not by much but enough to get me frustrated of consistently coming in 3rd. Nobody ever came close to our dps in a raid. If the mob lives for longer then 3 minutes and you stacked your dots properly and got into your like 14 dot rotation, had the augments that boosted the dots, proper AA's ou would be a fucking powerhouse of dps, i saw wizards quit mid raid because we totally shamed them.

I think my magelo had been updated till 3 months ago when i quit. Just look for sceleris on quellious. My character, aa's gear and everything is the result of 3 necro's comparing notes and communicating and experimenting for about half a year. The 2 necro's i raided with were top notch and guided me through completely relearning my class because i had quit for abut 4 or 5 years. And a LOT had changed since then. Root rotting in Beasts Domain is by far the best place to be for a necro, park a bard bot at a wall and kill the dogs and vines. Easiest 2 AA per kill ever. No kiting just AA root, stack dots and root another, rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

Oh! And you NEED the anguish robe. Old stuff i know but the clicky on it is godly.
I remember your necro from Quellious. Had one there myself named Karnagee. Long, long time ago hehe.

Dalnoth_sl

shitlord
Reading the first post I am rethinking the SK, maybe swapping it out for a mage (pet). What do you guys think of mage/necro/shaman, primarily using the ranger for PL purposes? Levelling is so fast on Test the real issue is just gearing all those characters up..
Necros destroy damage-wise, if you're looking for the best DPS set up then running two necros is your best bet. If you want to eventually be able to farm nameds without much outside assistance you're going to want to invest in a mage and a bard.

Mages get a bad rap in modern EQ because most don't play or gear them properly but they are the 2nd highest sustained DPS class behind necros. The huge upside to mages in your situation is their pets tank far better than a merc when max aa'd/focused properly, they are immune to certain effects named NPC's use, and can resist spells that regular tanks wouldn't normally be able to. You can save two, so if one dies its not a big deal.

If I were you i'd go Necro/Mage/Shaman/Bard x2 heal merc.
The bard is an invaluable tool to any group because just /afk with /melody on will drastically increase your groups sustained DPS, Tank survivability and the epic/spire click for burst increase is crazy good.

As far as the tank classes go, SK/Paladins are it for group content. Don't even bother with a warrior, Both SK and Paladins have enough perks that its a toss up between which one you'd want to use.

If you want to be able to farm named NPC's, You're on the right track with the shaman for slows and massive HoT power on your pet. Shamans actually do rediculous damage VIA dots when you load them all and have an excellent pulsing group heal to offset AoE damage. Do not drop the shaman.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How are Enchanters these days on the higher end of things? I never leveled one past 40 in the past so I was thinking of giving that a go this time around.

Dalnoth_sl

shitlord
How are Enchanters these days on the higher end of things? I never leveled one past 40 in the past so I was thinking of giving that a go this time around.
Terrible. Their buffs are over-rated, Their auras just don't provide enough power to justify their lack of any kind of meaningful damage, mez isn't required, most groups run a bard for the bazing DPS and the ench's group synergy is horrible. Go bard for sure if you are thinking about an ench.

Anyone have some spare level 35ish Monk gear laying around? Didn't realize how broke I was when I left.
If you play on drinal I can hook you up. Just send a tell to Dalno.

qwerty_sl said:
So whats the deal with the over poweredness? Is it true you can solo old world gods? And does everyone just mostly solo now with mercs?
I don't think there's much activity among the community pre-80, you'll most likely end up merc soloing a lot unless you are with a group of friends. Old World Gods are small potatoes nowadays. As a cleric I can pull entire level 70-80 zones at once without dieing. The game has progressed far beyond the original and even past most of the expansions. So yes, you can solo things that would seem ridiculous before.

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
one of the last things i did, and simply wanted to do, was solo poTime. few tricky bits especially after phase 1 the dropoff with the zek mobs, hard to cast when there's like 20 mobs wailing in on you for 150 damage HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH it does start to hurt after a while though. Pet tanked, merc healer....got bored after innoruuk...fuck it i am patching it as we speak, this talk about eq fired me up again.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I have been having a lot of fun soloing old content. I have been trying to work on Anguish to gear up a friends bard and get him 2.0, but finding 6 people to just make the expedition is the hardest part.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
Might want to add bard, especially when root rotting you want a bard there, it's just impossible to run out of mana with death bloom and bard song and such.

I returned when eq went f2p, dusted off my old necro that i hadn't played since the end of PoP. Got myepic 2.0 (must have for a necro, if they see you max level without one you will be mocked, and generally ignored, the epic 2.0 is simply the best thing a necro can have, despite the shitty stats, but don't ignore it because of crappy hp ad int, the effect is gold for a necro.) i got max level and a ton of gear, and got fucking bored soloing again. I might pop back on in a while, but i dunno if i will go gold again. VoA is a good expansion but the flagging is still rediculous.

If you have a old charCter arond lvl 65, it's stupid easy to level and stay alive wearing deviant armor. No need to raid ToV or anything because deviant armor blows everything out of the water pre HoT. Then it's mainly get tier gear from HoT and eventually VoA.

Sceleris on quellious server, but when i get back i might pop to a different server....
What's the name of the DoT focus? Looking at Lucy the best I could determine is they got one around 70ish and it was never upgraded.

tarquinn_sl

shitlord
I have been having a lot of fun soloing old content. I have been trying to work on Anguish to gear up a friends bard and get him 2.0, but finding 6 people to just make the expedition is the hardest part.
You only need 6 people in your group and they can be offline people. So you + 5 offline level 1 characters will get you into Anguish.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'd be down to destroy some old stuff with a small group. I think I'd like to play a Shaman or Beast Lord. How reasonable is the leveling from 1-65 or so these days?

Destante

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been playing a bit lately on the test server and can do 1-50 in a few hours after /testbuff'ing to 25. Done a paladin and enchanter so far up to early fifties and a couple others in the forties trying to decide what i wanna play. I would think you could hit 65 in a couple days easily.

Baraz_sl

shitlord
Been so long since I played. Think I am going to start from scratch. Definitely going to 3-6 box. Saw the SK/Necro/Mage/Bard recommendation above. Any other suggestions if I get to start from scratch?

Dr Ent_sl

shitlord
I'm going to get back into this as well. Have a 65+ bard and a 65+ mage. Thinking of starting a new beastlord. Anyone want to form a group on test for leveling?

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you play on drinal I can hook you up. Just send a tell to Dalno.
Thanks for the offer, do you mind hooking me up with some gear so I can /testcopy?

I've been playing a bit lately on the test server and can do 1-50 in a few hours after /testbuff'ing to 25. Done a paladin and enchanter so far up to early fifties and a couple others in the forties trying to decide what i wanna play. I would think you could hit 65 in a couple days easily.
The test buff gear is pretty bad, how are you getting gear for your characters?

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I am going to try and give Rain of Fear a formal review at some point, when I can do it justice, but for now I want to share some initial info.

The hub zone for the expansion is Shard's Landing. It has a number of portals that take you to alternate reality versions of old school EQ zones. Story is that Cazic got killed and his fear shards shattered and fell upon Norath, corrupting the inhabitant, making them crazy, and uber powerful.

• Befallen
  • Eastern Wastes
  • Crystal Caverns
  • Kael Drakkel
  • Dragon Necropolis
  • Temple of Veeshan
  • Gorge of King Xorbb
  • Beasts Domain (VoA Expansion)
  • Grelleth's Palace (VoA Expansion)

I have to say, the old zone re-imagined are awesome.

Befallen is filled with dead clerics, paladins, and knights that worshiped Mithaniel and Erollisi Marr. There is some crazy necromancer gnome that entered the place and started controlling the dead. The zone is amazing looking, creepy, and filled with the familiar names from the original noobie zone. I haven't made it to Kael Drakkel yet, but I am sure that will be amazing.
Eastern Wastes, Crystal Caverns, Kael and Temple of Veeshan (Raid zone with NtoV raid dragons. No HoT or WtoV) are simply higher level versions of there old zones (old ones are still there) with new higher level mobs.

Shards, Grelleth, Evantil, Gorge, Dragon Necropolis, and Befallen are new zones with new zone designs,