EQ Never

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's fairly clear now that the sepration of EGN into EQL and EQN can be considered a third restart from scratch.
I think of it more as an unplanned moving of the goalpost because they're desperate to getsomethingreleased as soon as possible. So they're dressing up their dev map/terrain building tools and releasing them as if they were a real game.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So they're dressing up their dev map/terrain building tools and releasing them as if they were a real game.
To be fair, you can make that sort of general statement about almost any world building game. Toss in a few rudimentary AI opponents and maybe a couple harvesting nodes and you have a sandbox game.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
And at this point it sounds entirely possible that EQNL could be more fun than EQN too.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
It very well could be. Landmark has nothing to live up to other than Minecraft, which it already has beat if they don't fuck up the execution.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Athene interviewing Georgeson:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuZONvBlAAs

edit: blah, nothing new
Georgeson is growing on me, I think. That or he is starting to get the hang of this whole P.R. thing. Or I am just learning to not mind him, I am not sure.

It really does have to be a tough job to go out and the face of the next iteration of one of frothiest nerd franchises in PC gaming history. Knowing the fanboys will be fact-checking your statements years down the line? That kind of pressure has been known to cause douchealcosis.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This thread went from a raging fire of interest and hopes to the ashes of of disappointment and broken dreams in less then a month.

RIP EQNext thread.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This thread went from a raging fire of interest and hopes to the ashes of of disappointment and broken dreams in less then a month.

RIP EQNext thread.
rrr_img_42322.png

edit: bah alpha channel and black background

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

RIP EQNext thread.
well, to be fair, we were promised something totally new and exciting. instead, they gave us disney/pixar's mineguildwarscraft2.

misery_sl

shitlord
I think the thing that is distancing me from this thread and talking about the game is the fact that it's simply too far out to really discuss more than we already have in the last thousand or so pages. Nearly every aspect that we know about has already been nitpicked into the dirt, and the amount of new info coming out is nearly nothing. Which was slightly expected. If anything, Landmark should be the big discussion, and I'm not even sure I'm that interested in building shit for SOE. I got tired of Minecraft in record time. I mean, discussion is fun and all, especially here, but I just don't feel like rehashing old topics that have already been discussed in depth.

Then again, the release date of EQNext might be a lot sooner than some people think if you consider the crutch they're using. Players building a lot of the world should save them a huge amount of development time. Add to that the fact that they are indirectly testing EQNext with the release of Landmark since it will use many of the same key elements such as voxels, crafting, guilds, mounts, and what have you. They might actually break the development cycle mold of 5 years or more. It should be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I wonder how much EQL will cost since they are pimping it almost like a new IP, perhaps that one will be free with microtransactions and EQN will be 60 to buy and $15 a month...
long live the $OE :/

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
I wonder how much EQL will cost since they are pimping it almost like a new IP, perhaps that one will be free with microtransactions and EQN will be 60 to buy and $15 a month...
long live the $OE :/
We've known that EQN will be F2P for a long ass time.

glumner_sl

shitlord
I must admit that I'm paying more attention to this game than I have to any other game in years. Reading rerolled, reddit, mmorpg.com, etc. I think it's fair to say that thus far this title is extremely polarizing. Are reactions to pending titles often this split? Whether those who are not sipping the KoolAid are right or wrong, should SOE be at all concerned that there are so many potential players are apparently alienated from this game or is it typical to have so vocal a contingent of detractors? Just curious.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I got tired of Minecraft in record time.
Yep. Landmark isn't that interesting to me especially since it probably won't release with even critter-combat. They're pulling a Notch and releasing it with many unfinished systems. The beta will be alpha, the release will be a beta.

Oh I'll screw around with it for a bit, but I have no desire to do Sony's work for them, even if I had the skill (which I also don't). If they had gone with more traditional class/combat I might be more interested, but they didn't.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I don't understand why they have to reinvent the proverbial wheel again for every part of the game either. To me, the mix of classes and abilities in the original EverQuest was still the best. EQ2 had too many of both. WoW's were okay, but there was zero variety in anything once they gutted talents and turned them into generic role templates.

I don't know why they have to tear down what made EverQuest what it was and start from the ground up again, which will turn into a worse design than the original. Use new technology, use StoryBricks to make awesome AI - all for that. But don't destroy the parts that worked 'just because'.

I don't want pocket classes. I don't want to switch classes, abilities, weapons, armor, every half hour. I want an experience like the original EQ provided with the added benefits of newer tech. We're getting less than that from what I've seen so far.