EQ Never

Mellent_sl

shitlord
star wars is a brand/franchise as well. that didn't stop the prequels from being fucking awful. what made the original trilogy great isn't anywhere to be found in the prequels. same thing is going on here with everquest.
doesn't mean that EQN can't be successful by its own merits.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Actually it was mentioned before in the 1022 mess. But to the fact it's a Prequel of EQOA.
EQQA is set 50 years before EQ starts. EQN is set at least minimum 800 years prior. But the lore is so butchered at this time with the shifting of the founding of Qeynos back into Combine era that its impossible to say if EQQA is set in the future are the past relative to EQN.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
star wars is a brand/franchise as well. that didn't stop the prequels from being fucking awful. what made the original trilogy great isn't anywhere to be found in the prequels. same thing is going on here with everquest.
Just glad Lucas finally sold the thing. Was sick and tired of his pissant battle grudgefest against the stormtrooper copyrights with the guy that designed it. Thus why you can hardly find anything with the standard stormtrooper look before the sale and now the flood of costume releases for it after the sale. He really didnt want to give an inch to pay out royalties. I personally like the older Stormtroopers, hate the clone trooper look. To this day I still think its redesign was from this royalty battle with the original designer from the first film and his distaste on giving out royalties on his idea "IP".

It has been suspected this was why you never saw some of the old games over the years redone like Xwing vs Tie fighter, possible outside licensing was done and royalties hell was in play from releasing and reboots or sequels. Lucas was a master of marketing and did it well. Just look at the story change from Return of the Jedi, Han was set to die, so was Lando and destruction of the Falcon. "Cant sell a dead Han doll!" -Lucas
He also allowed free rights to do as pleased with any SW IP as long as there was no profit, you also gave up your rights if they used anything you did with it. This was genius to grow a niche market for its time along with his deal with Kenner and the flood of toy sales.

Not saying the Mouse is any better but at the least we dont have an artist still touching up his 1 hit wonder over and over milking it and constantly changing the canvas. Mouse will just rehash characters in child stories and rerelease limited editions and create off shoot "Straight to video" poor cheap knock-offs for years to come on G-style goofy adventures with cameo characters from other vault held library of the magic kingdom.

In nature Star Wars was a disney story from the beginning, Child looking for meaning and held with challenges with missing parents or single parent. Child tragedy story. Sort of fitting its now where it belonged.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
EQQA is set 50 years before EQ starts. EQN is set at least minimum 800 years prior. But the lore is so butchered at this time with the shifting of the founding of Qeynos back into Combine era that its impossible to say if EQQA is set in the future are the past relative to EQN.
EQN isn't even on the same timeline. The devs said it over and over. It's like an alternate universe. Some things will be familiar and others will have a new spin on it. That's why all you guys getting your panties in a twist over the lore aren't getting it.

Siddar

EQN isn't even on the same timeline. The devs said it over and over. It's like an alternate universe. Some things will be familiar and others will have a new spin on it. That's why all you guys getting your panties in a twist over the lore aren't getting it.
Yep I was just stating where EQQA sits in regards to EQ and EQ2 lore. EQN is just a whole other universe with nothing in relation to anything that has come prior with the EQ name on it.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
EQN is set at least minimum 800 years prior
I read that as you viewing EQN 800 years prior to EQ1 on the timeline. That isn't accurate. It could be concurrent to EQ1 for all we know just an alternate universe. We'll have to see and let the new lore write its own story.

Siddar

I read that as you viewing EQN 800 years prior to EQ1 on the timeline. That isn't accurate. It could be concurrent to EQ1 for all we know just an alternate universe. We'll have to see and let the new lore write its own story.
Most likely because I didn't explain myself very well in my first post.

Its set 800 years prior to EQ start using EQQA, EQ, and EQ2 timelines. Using EQN timelines who the hell knows. EQN have made it more clear then intially that EQN is a alternate Universe and have said so directly. EQQA EQ and EQ2 are divergent Universes where they were the same up tell the end of PoP when they split. EQN lore is so different that there is no point where it ever was consistent with the other EQ franchises. Even though EQ and EQ2 were consistent with each at the beginning that has become much less so as time as gone on and EQ2 lore touching on thing that happened prior to PoP has created lore no longer consistent with EQ lore. But at least EQ and EQ2 lore tried to make it sort of work lore wise at the start of EQ2 even while making it clear that EQ2 and EQ were on seperate paths lore wise going into the future.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Ding, ding, ding! Someone gets it!

Also, part of the expense of EQN is the development time spent on EQ3. It may end up being a huge albatross but SOE was willing to invest that extra money doing something different instead of releasing an EQ rehash. It is much more in line with the re-imagining of Star Trek as they have also mentioned several times. Star Trek needed the right vision, people, and timing while losing a lot of the extra baggage over the years. EQ needs the same exact process. I'm not sure if they have the right people but the timing and vision are awesome! I'm more assured of the people using Storybricks and Voxel Farm instead of making a version themselves.

Lucas made two good movies. The rest were a farcical trip down money lane.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't have an issue with the alternate universe concept, it's a good idea imo. In fact I think most of their initial concepts are good ideas. It is feckless execution by the people in charge that I have a problem with, they are cowards and morons.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Nobody is confused that it's an alternate universe. We are saying that that's stupid.
I think some are confused but I have to disagree. The EQ world has 15 years of changes, fluff, and mish mashed history. Lands have changed, Gods have left and re-appeared, fairies are playable, not playable, etc,etc,etc. Which version of EQ gets the most subs? Velious and before, EQ2 version, EQ now? One giant clusterfuck is the EQ of today. A re-imagining in an alternate universe lets them do new things while keeping the original spirit of the franchise. Being unable to get past 2001 EQ is a personal problem some will have to eventually work out on their own. SOE has made it abundantly clear that they aren't going to help with that right now.

Now, Grim's issue is a more relevant one and I share it somewhat myself.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think some are confused but I have to disagree. The EQ world has 15 years of changes, fluff, and mish mashed history. Lands have changed, Gods have left and re-appeared, fairies are playable, not playable, etc,etc,etc. Which version of EQ gets the most subs? Velious and before, EQ2 version, EQ now? One giant clusterfuck is the EQ of today. A re-imagining in an alternate universe lets them do new things while keeping the original spirit of the franchise. Being unable to get past 2001 EQ is a personal problem some will have to eventually work out on their own. SOE has made it abundantly clear that they aren't going to help with that right now.

Now, Grim's issue is a more relevant one and I share it somewhat myself.
i really don't give a shit about the lore at all. what i care about is that everything that made EQ great is being thrown out because the people in charge "believe" that none of it was fun and didn't make EQ the awesome game that it was. i'm talking about defined hard classes, DIKU style gameplay, dungeon crawls, contested content, rare spawns, rare tradable loot (twinking is fun), player interdependency, and about a thousand other things that made EQ fun and engaging that they are removing from EQN and instead giving us the GW2/rift/minecraft/disney/call of duty console abortion they are planning.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
i really don't give a shit about the lore at all. what i care about is that everything that made EQ great is being thrown out because the people in charge "believe" that none of it was fun and didn't make EQ the awesome game that it was. i'm talking about defined hard classes, DIKU style gameplay, dungeon crawls, contested content, rare spawns, rare tradable loot (twinking is fun), player interdependency, and about a thousand other things that made EQ fun and engaging that they are removing from EQN and instead giving us the GW2/rift/minecraft/disney/call of duty console abortion they are planning.
You've made your point and you don't have to play it if you don't want to. I'm sure you didn't play and love every single game produced under the EverQuest brand, so why not just skip over this one?

Neric_sl

shitlord
I am 100% convinced that EQN will be terrible, at least as long as Smed is running the show. On the other hand, I can't imagine myself not creating a character and checking out how it reminds me of the original.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
It could be concurrent to EQ1 for all we know just an alternate universe.
rrr_img_42772.jpg

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
You've made your point and you don't have to play it if you don't want to. I'm sure you didn't play and love every single game produced under the EverQuest brand, so why not just skip over this one?
actually, aside from the original everquest, i haven't played any other game under the EQ umbrella. and you are correct, i won't be playing this one either (and neither will anyone else about a month after launch. this has SWTOR written all over it).

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
rrr_img_42773.gif

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
that's fine. companies can continue to pander to the ADD generation and they will continue to play these types of games for a month or so and move on again like nomads. meanwhile, an entire market of gamers who would be willing to play a harder MMO for several years (and be willing to pay a monthly sub to do so) will be overlooked and EQN will just be another game in the MMO graveyard less than a year after release.