EQ Never

supertouch_sl

shitlord
WoW was successful because it took advantage of a maturing genre and the changes in networking and computing across the globe. Also, it essentially popularized the genre outside the U.S. and Korea and had unprecedented marketing power. It's still full of Chinese gold farmers and the only way it would be truly "dethroned" is if Blizzard just shut it down.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WoW was successful because it took advantage of a maturing genre and the changes in networking and computing across the globe. Also, it essentially popularized the genre outside the U.S. and Korea and had unprecedented marketing power. It's still full of Chinese gold farmers and the only way it would be truly "dethroned" is if Blizzard just shut it down.
LoL, you funny. People move on all the time. MySpace thought they were the king of the world also, and so did all their members. Then Facebook showed up. WoW is old and tired. It still rules the roost but it's days are numbered. Even Blizzard knows that.

iannis

Musty Nester
A game without inconvenience is a just game without challenge and a game without challenge isn't a game -- it's a movie. A forgetably bad movie. Good movies challenge your assumptions in some way.

It's not that I disagree with Ukkerik. That type of player exists and that type of player exists in significant number. How well has catering to that type of player treated SOE lately? That type of player is going to filter through your game quickly in any event, even as you are desperately trying to milk them in the cash shop. If that's the design philosophy the end product isn't going to be of much account.

One thing is obvious. Sony doesn't have a competent advertising machine. Part of it is that we're jaded, cynical, old men. The other part of it is that they suck at it. We come by our jade and our cyn honestly.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
The amazing thing is that almost 10 years later WOW is still king of the hill. That's a testament to how good a game it is, but also how shitty it's competitors have been.

The genre is in dire need of new and hotness.

Bruman

Golden Squire
It's not even that it's just king of the hill - it's still obliterating any and all competition. It's "closest" are probably Aion or Runescape, of which it has more than 3 times the amount of people - that's a difference of over 4 million people. That's not a gap anyone's going to close.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I can't believe they wasted 5 minutes talking about that. Give a option for a character friend invite or account-wide one like battle net does. They don't need to reinvent the wheel here. What an amazing waste of time.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sure they are targeting kids that are between ages 7-15. Why would they have to explain a friends list?
Anyone who is outside of that age group I've mentioned would know. These people are FU****

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I'm sure they are targeting kids that are between ages 7-15. Why would they have to explain a friends list?
Anyone who is outside of that age group I've mentioned would know. These people are FU****
Not that encouraging for those of us who were expecting a serious MMO.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Putting aside the over-long description of what a friends list is, the more worrying part was them closing on the "what else should we make account-wide?" note. The idea of faction standing and class unlocks being account-wide profoundly irks me; for one thing, account-wide faction standing rather kills the idea of, say, having one good and one evil character.

..."what else should we make account-wide?"...
rrr_img_45733.jpg

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Putting aside the over-long description of what a friends list is, the more worrying part was them closing on the "what else should we make account-wide?" note. The idea of faction standing and class unlocks being account-wide profoundly irks me; for one thing, account-wide faction standing rather kills the idea of, say, having one good and one evil character.
Nearly nothing should be account-wide, if anything is that make it opt-in. Definitely not faction or class unlocks.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
So yeah , they've released a few horrific character models , let us know that a healer fucked their wife/girlfriend at some point in the past , and now have a video about friends list.

They are barley past napkin drawing stage and have jack shit for EQN done.

The magical ai to make playing Disney EQ worth it isn't happening.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wonder if each one of these videos results in Blizz's Titan team hitting the golf course or playing 8 more hours of GTA5 instead if working on Titan.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I wonder if each one of these videos results in Blizz's Titan team hitting the golf course or playing 8 more hours of GTA5 instead if working on Titan.
Dev1 "Guys we should probably get back to work."

Dev2 "Yeah yeah... hey, someone tell the intern to check the EQN feed."

Dev3 "He did, he said it's still a fucking disaster, something about friends lists? I don't know.."

Dev1 "Fuck it man, lets go grab another cold six."