EQ Never

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Why do they even tease us with these videos. Let's face it. They know and we know exactly the type of game they're going to develop. We know what people are willing to player and we know exactly what audience they're going to design for as well. They may throw us a bone and not make it completely easy-mode, but they're not going to sacrifice millions of dollars of subscribers just to attempt an experience that once was for couple hundred thousand at the very most.

I will give them this... we're probably going to get something better than EQ2 and it will probably worth picking up but this little marketing ploy has already lost my interest until they can give me a little more meat.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The world is gonna be pretty fucking bland if there's no water in it
Buckets of lava

Sampling_lava_with_hammer_and_bucket.jpg

gogojira_sl

shitlord
No water would fucking suck so let's hope that some programming wizard makes it happen before EQN launch. It ain't happening for EQNL but I can deal with lava that's actually just a solid block of orange glowing crap for it, I guess.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damn.. I decided to not play FF b/c I figured beta would be near for EQL.. damn broken promises..

Mur_sl

shitlord
Damn.. I decided to not play FF b/c I figured beta would be near for EQL.. damn broken promises..
That's like saying you decided not to fuck some hot Asian chick you had in the bag, because some random chick on the internet sent you a pic of her snapper.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's like saying you decided not to fuck some hot Asian chick you had in the bag, because some random chick on the internet sent you a pic of her snapper.
haha I just don't have the time for 2 games at once and honestly thought EQL beta would be here already. I didn't want to dive into a new game when EQL had my interest and was so close. At least I thought. I'll also say that FF beta bored me but I was willing to give it a go hoping the later levels were fun

misery_sl

shitlord
No water in game would be a deal breaker for me. Much like no jumping in certain prior other games. Some things, once added to the MMORPG standard feature list, should not be removed or left out regardless of any excuses. Water being one of those things, and jumping being another. I hate it when you can't interact with water, and I dislike badly placed invisible walls in MMORPGs. Maybe my standards are just set too high.

I just realized that despite many years of enjoying MMORPGs, maybe I actually hate them.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
No, it's not that you hate them , you hate the fucked up state they have become.

It's that most devs now are lazy, shitty, and all about the easiest path to a quick grab became in charge of the genre.

In 99 you could swim , jump , see rain change to sun, have time change , and not "instanced hub 4 of said zone".

Developers have gone backwards over the years.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
No, it's not that you hate them , you hate the fucked up state they have become.

It's that most devs now are lazy, shitty, and all about the easiest path to a quick grab became in charge of the genre.

In 99 you could swim , jump , see rain change to sun, have time change , and not "instanced hub 4 of said zone".

Developers have gone backwards over the years.
The no water thing is a voxel technology problem, not a design decision. I'm aware some videos were linked a few posts up that demonstrate water in a voxel environment, but there were major clipping issues in the video, and it's impossible to say how stable the build is from a 30 second clip. Everything else you mentioned I guess was just a rant since pretty much the only thing(s) they've revealed are in your list (jumping, weather changing, time changing, non-instanced content).

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Their take on fast travel seems to be about the best we could have hoped for. Basically sounds like WoW classic gryphons, which imo was a good compromise for travel since it made travel not so tedious but didnt make the world feel small. I just hope its wow classic gryphons and not wow current gryphons spammed every 3 feet in every zone.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
The no water thing is a voxel technology problem, not a design decision. I'm aware some videos were linked a few posts up that demonstrate water in a voxel environment, but there were major clipping issues in the video, and it's impossible to say how stable the build is from a 30 second clip. Everything else you mentioned I guess was just a rant since pretty much the only thing(s) they've revealed are in your list (jumping, weather changing, time changing, non-instanced content).
Note I was referring to most every mmo released lately - can't do time change - can't do weather - can't do this or that because "it's hard". Not just EQN.

And no water is a fucking joke in 2013-14-15.

Actually it's beyond ridiculous for an mmo virtual world.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Note I was referring to most every mmo released lately - can't do time change - can't do weather - can't do this or that because "it's hard". Not just EQN.

And no water is a fucking joke in 2013-14-15.

Actually it's beyond ridiculous for an mmo virtual world.
It is ridiculous but it's not like they are working with the same old technology is it? They should get this worked out but a lot of water based gameplay sucks anyways. I have no problem with it being limited early in a game. Give me water but I don't mind if all I get to do is mostly cross the river or barely get in the beach water. A few water based dungeons later would be nice but isn't a need for release.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Does the no functioning water thing actually have a source or is it another Rerolled rumor like Brad McQuaid walking out of the SoE offices with half their art assets?

gogojira_sl

shitlord
It's a legitimate tech hurdle that's been noted with anyone working with voxel tech, SOE included. Do a little google search, it won't be hard to find.

I don't care about it for Landmark so much, but I do for EQN.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
It's a legitimate tech hurdle that's been noted with anyone working with voxel tech, SOE included. Do a little google search, it won't be hard to find.

I don't care about it for Landmark so much, but I do for EQN.
Exactly but having a larger pool of resources will hopefully fix it or make solid workarounds easy. The tech is still early and SOE might be willing to pour in some significant resources if they feel this market is worth the effort.