EQ Never

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Heh, "flight" ability will be something you find/unlock in Landmark*

*or pay $5 in the cash shop

Just my guess.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
As an aside, Ill have at least 2 and possibly 3 closed beta keys to give away to board members if anyone wants one and doesn't get in.

Caliane

yeah, I love alphas. the constant updates and watching a game evolve is almost more fun then most games in general.
I don't have too much worry if its something that looks real interesting.

Pretty sure I will bite on one, landmark sounds nice to me.
those price points are a bit high though.

I like how it says in gigantic font:

"Free To Play. Your Way. Our philosophy is simple. Free games. No commitment. And if you want to buy, it's on your terms."

Right below $99.99 beta access fee ...

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Hey, what do you know, when they actually show the game, it looks pretty decent. Wish we could've gotten a proper look at the footage that was playing in the background of the Georgeson interview, with the actual gameplay going on, though.

Hopefully those dates they released are in fact them just covering their asses, and they'll actually be able to live up to the "this winter" release date they'd previously mentioned.

Once they actually announce a firm beta date, I might actually drop $20 for that settler package, which would pretty much be a first for me, to spend unnecessary money on any sort of "special edition". With how widely they're making beta access available, I wonder if building plots or templates will carry over to release?

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Are there any videos of people actually building shit in landmark? Kinda hard to justify dropping money on something that comes out in 4 months and we haven't even seen gameplay?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not to mention, if you plan to play EQN:L a lot (I do) and you plan to try to make money from the game (I do) $100 for early plot selection and alpha exploration may actually turn out to be an excellent investment.
You already know you are going to play something a lot that you know next to nothing about besides market speech and PR terms? Do you give wool coats?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
As an aside, Ill have at least 2 and possibly 3 closed beta keys to give away to board members if anyone wants one and doesn't get in.
I'll gladly take one whenever you get one, I never get into betas
smile.png

I am unemployed at the moment, so $100 for alpha access is way above my paygrade right now
frown.png

You already know you are going to play something a lot that you know next to nothing about besides market speech and PR terms? Do you give wool coats?
To be fair, I think that if you like and enjoy Minecraft, you will most assuredly like Everquest Landmark. Probably be a strange mix of letting you do far more than Minecraft, while at the same time, have bigger limits as well with no mods, no chance to add textures, objects (hexxit I think it is called?), and so on.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
They've shown movement, construction (without the interface), timelapses of building, and finished construction. Combat won't be in at launch.. so.. I think it's pretty easy to predict whether you'll like the type of gaming Landmark offers. It's creative mode Minecraft, in an EverQuest themed world; not too difficult to grasp.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Uhhhh the only thing I care about are the building tools. It's minecraft with a better engine set in Norrath. I don't care about all the MMO elements that do or will eventually exist in Landmark, and it remains to be seen if ill even play EQnext at all. What I am interested in, and they have shown to my satisfaction, is the world building + player studio monetization.

Yes, unless Landmark launches so riddled with bugs that it is unplayable, I intend to play it quite a bit.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
They expect me to pay to get into the alpha of the alpha of the game I might actually pay to play?

Stench

Golden Knight of the Realm
I cannot believe people are actually dropping $100 to get into an alpha of a free to pay game.... unreal.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
A sweet view from the breakfast nook of your castle?
Exactly, location. Real estate is probably going to have significant in game and real world value. Seeing how the population spreads itself in alpha/closed beta is gonna be very valuable knowledge come release when you pick your plot. There is no precedent set yet to have this knowledge. Obvious example, 'Landmarks' are going to be hubs of travel and economy, so proximity to them will be quite lucrative I'd imagine. Will this be the case? Or will some other metric contribute to the value of one's property? Proximity to certain resources? Proximity to certain players? Etc

Jais

Trakanon Raider
So you're banking on gaining some knowledge from alpha alpha that will enable you to set up some frontier town that will at some point become a hub city that will render you massive amounts of plats?

I've clearly not been following this game closely enough.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
A sweet view from the breakfast nook of your castle?
Serious answer to it would be, you pay to get early access to a program that lets you monetize art assets that may be used in SOEs next big AAA mmo. Landmark is more a dev engine tool than an mmo.

However, if you get in early, and you somehow manage to make a cool looking torch or whatever that people all use in their dungeons because it is generic enough to fit everywhere, but still looks good. You would get royalty payments for that, real life money, if that asset ever found itself being imported into Next (and perhaps even in Landmark, not sure how that works).

So if you plan to use it, not just as a mmo (which it isn't), a 100 dollar investment might very well be worth it. In terms of getting anything back in value from it, it is an investment far better than for instance, a collectors edition of a game. Which usually only gives you a statue, map or some other stuff that sits on your desk/shelf for a few weeks, but when you clean it away, it sits in a dusty closet forever. Theoretically, if you enter alpha stage of Landmark and create a popularly used art asset, you could get royalties from that from the start of Landmark to the end of .... whenever they close down Landmark/Next services.

As far as this service goes, I don't think it has been done before, and usually the early comers are the ones that actually earn something off it.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
So you're banking on gaining some knowledge from alpha alpha that will enable you to set up some frontier town that will at some point become a hub city that will render you massive amounts of plats?

I've clearly not been following this game closely enough.
Well, having more time to become familiar with the tools to create shit that people want right away could also help you make some cash. Not to mention having a head start to collect the resources to make said shit.

I'm not sure if real estate will be that important, since I'm assuming there's going to be lots of words/servers/phases.