EQ Never

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Money isn't an issue really, I thought 60.00 was too much to pay for BF4, but I'm fine with 100.00 for this. I'll be playing a year early, I'll get bunch of crap and I'll have 4 invites to give to friends.
This is how I see it. There's tons of people who don't really have a game they're playing, and are looking for their next 'fix', thinking this might be it. $100 isn't that much if it keeps them entertained throughout all of alpha and beta. It is still a little bit of a gamble, though.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could you imagine if people paid that kind of money to get into alpha VG?

I hate it because I do want to try landmark ASAP and those packages tempt me/people...but shit why should we pay for a service they need us for? I hate using the word "feel" but this doesn't feel right. I get that I have the option to not buy but we continue to justify all this stuff it will continue to get worse.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could you imagine if people paid that kind of money to get into alpha VG?

I hate it because I do want to try landmark ASAP and those packages tempt me/people...but shit why should we pay for a service they need us for? I hate using the word "feel" but this doesn't feel right. I get that I have the option to not buy but we continue to justify all this stuff it will continue to get worse.
Imo, it also effects the quality of the beta. If people pay to test a game, the majority of them don't care about actually testing, they are just paying to play early. Yes that happens already, but its compounded and on a larger scale when anyone can just buy their way in. It's even worse this time because its paying for literal alpha, the time when a game needs the testers the most. As soon as you allow people to pay to enter, your shit is being judged and scored as a "sold product", no different from a open beta. I'd almost pay just to read the forums and the inevitable "I paid for this, why can't I play today" threads.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'll agree with the judged as a sold product, but I look at it as extra funding for actual EQ:N. They mentioned that as they're releasing tools they're going to be releasing them to Landmark as well, which is free not counting the founders package. They're basically giving us their engine to create our own world and potentially have a better world going than the new Norrath. I really think it'll be good for the community in general. But that's just hoping really.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You don't think they will do the same thing for EQN alpha? I can guarantee it. Hell they might even bump the price up a bit. $120 for alpha to EQN?! This isn't some poor company they are maximizing profits as any smart company would do. I just think we have no standards as gamers.. That wasn't always the case. Too big of a community to really do anything about it now.

xzi

Mouthbreather
So don't pay for it an wait an extra month and play for free? It really doesn't matter. Every single game ever has some stupid pre-order bullshit and just like every other game, it's likely not worth it. Unless you want a flag and a title I guess.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Point is.. They need us lol. Same could be said with not buying it. Don't buy it and force them to do free invites. Yea it may not get you in right away but you'll eventually get in. Why pay for something they need you for? It's like paying your boss so you can work for them bc you like your job..

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
So don't pay for it an wait an extra month and play for free? It really doesn't matter. Every single game ever has some stupid pre-order bullshit and just like every other game, it's likely not worth it. Unless you want a flag and a title I guess.
But here is the thing, and this is the same reason we all buy into every MMORPG at launch. We want to be in at ground level for the next EQ or WoW. And while most of us piss and moan about paying for digital trinkets, we think that we just might kick ourselves if we weren't there at the beginning for greatness. If you disagree with me then you are deluded as to why you spend a considerable amount of your liveschatting on an anonymous internet forum about MMO's. Are SoE fucking boneheads that have made mistake after mistake, and haven't appeared to learn from them? You bet your sweet ass they are. But what they have here, for all the macho bullshit "EQ veteran toughguy" talk that so many of you spew, is the potential for greatness. Otherwise you would all move on.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I think it's moreso being forced into that mindset that MMO's only last two months so being there at the beginning is kind of a necessity due to shit market and impatient people (including me).

I could care less about EQ:N at this point though and I just really want to build and explore in Landmark. I do fully agree with you though.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Point is.. They need us lol. Same could be said with not buying it. Don't buy it and force them to do free invites. Yea it may not get you in right away but you'll eventually get in. Why pay for something they need you for? It's like paying your boss so you can work for them bc you like your job..
This just might be the dumbest shit I've ever read on this forum.

Nearly every game ever created needs players to purchase things. That's the entire fucking reason that companies create video games.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
... If people pay to test a game, the majority of them don't care about actually testing, they are just paying to play early...
This is the dumbest line of reasoning.. how does paying to play a game early vs signing up to be a tester correlate, at all, to someone's desire to test/feedback a game. If anything, the people who are willing to pay money for a testing position are MORE interested in the well-being/development of a game than a random person who can submit a beta app at the blink of an eye

Ganthorn

N00b
This is the dumbest line of reasoning.. how does paying to play a game early vs signing up to be a tester correlate, at all, to someone's desire to test/feedback a game. If anything, the people who are willing to pay money for a testing position are MORE interested in the well-being/development of a game than a random person who can submit a beta app at the blink of an eye
I was going to say the same thing. I would think someone who dropped $100 would want to give a ton of feedback on how to make the game they paid for better and the person who spent all of 5 minutes signing up for a free beta just because would be the person who tried it and went meh its broken and uninstalled it.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Convo, you sound like you havent bothered games that were build as F2P games so far (as opposed to sub games that switch to F2P), but "buying the game" to play early instead of waiting for it to go open beta is pretty standard.

I paid the $100ish to get into MWO early because I wanted to play the game, I'll likely do the same here. It's not really much of a difference to buying a game off the shelf for me. How finished or playable a game is isnt a function of alpha/beta/release anymore these days, which description they use is determined by marketing and not the working state of the software. MWO barely added anything in over a year while going closed beta, open beta and then 3 months ago release. realistically that game is 2+ years from the state they had in mind for end of 2013 when I gave them my money, so judging by that I wasted $100... on the other hand I had a hundred or more hours of fun for $100 and dont regret it.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This just might be the dumbest shit I've ever read on this forum.

Nearly every game ever created needs players to purchase things. That's the entire fucking reason that companies create video games.
Dumb? are you that fucking crazy of a fan boy to not see what I'm getting it? You're paying $100 fucking dollars to alpha test a game. I'm not saying don't make money off your game, I'm saying don't sell them an Alpha product that they already need people to help with. It's not dumb, it's reasonable.. you sell a product when it's finished and complete. Again, where are your fucking standards?! It opens the door to rip players off. Feel free to be that guy I guess but I like my chances of a better game when they don't already have my money.

I played a few FTP games.. I just don't pay them to let me alpha test it..If anything they should be paying us..

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'd pay for a $100 Founder's Pack for EQ Next for sure with similar benefit than what they offered for EQ Next Landmark.

At this point I am undecided about Landmark. The issue is not about money, I'm just not sure at this point that Landmark offers anything that interest me...like I'm not even sure I'll bother with it at launch.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not about the money for me... I just think it's a silly direction we as players allowed them to go in. Maybe if they granted the 2 day head start to all the packages I would of looked past it. That's the one that is getting me.. They know people will rationalize the shit out of it. I doubt anyone is buying anything other than the $100 package.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Can't Europeans just make a US account and bypass pro7?
You have to jump some hoops to do that, and run the risk that they later change their log-in / server / IP-detection in a way that makes it impossible for you to log in. Even opening the website with an EU IP refers you to pro7 when you try to make an account, although its obviously easy to bypass you can never be sure it stays that way. Payments might be problematic too.

I have several old original SOE accounts that I wanted to register for EQN beta. they pre-date the pro7 deal by a decade and I still had to hide my IP to log into account management and click Yes for beta sign-up.