EQ Never

supertouch_sl

shitlord
i liked most wow raid encounters but they didn't feel like raids. also, they were simply more choreographed than eq raids because you only had 40 people

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
what i don't understand is why all the WoW nut huggers are posting in an everquest thread in the first place? you already have your game, and 40 other games just like it. why the fuck do you care if we want to have another everquest game that plays like the original everquest?
great, WoW raids are so fucking hard that it's like having a mental battle with stephen hawking and playing lebron james on the basketball court at the same time. awesome. then go fucking play that game and stop trolling here.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
See, for my guild, EQ boss mobs were just loot pinata's, they were the reward for fucking over the other guilds fighting for the same mob in the same zone. We used every tactic we could get away with to steal the mob and out dps the others. Training the zone and other guilds, saving your ht and manaburn, bind rushing, etc, etc, etc, all were fair game.

We had scouts at all the boss spawns and wizards ready to transport as soon as they popped. The most organized assholes won. When the guild call went out we all dropped our groups like they were lepers and rushed to the kill.

On my server we were fighting the asians, aussies and 4 other NA primetime guilds for the kill. It wasn't PvP but it was just as much fun, or more. I really, really miss those days.The drama was intense, and the whole server was on edge listening to every move. Nobody gave a fuck what the strats for the boss mob were.WoW raids are fucking lame compared to beating your competitionby being first to the mob, or just outright stealing the kill by having superior dps (WTF?! you didn't save your manaburn? yer out of the guild yah bastich!.. nah.. HAH).

As a SK my role was crucial to winning the day. I teamed up with the monks and necros to train the other guilds incessently, it was a blast. And they did the same to us. Our guild had a "fuck your server rotation" policy and we loved it. We had great competition in the other guilds and got just as good as we gave.

When we reached the actual boss it was boring. I clicked my ht key and promptly set about trying to get killed by enrage so I could go to the bathroom and get a beer. Then just fd'd in the corner and rolled on loot. The fun was usually over long before we got to the boss.

The rush to the boss against other guilds was what made early raiding in EQ great (until the gm's got involved and ruined it all). There has never been an experience quite like it. Fuck WoW and all your youtube strats, the most boring thing ever invented.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd like to see Eq next try to combine new and old. Wow has hardcore in the sense of challenging raids for the elite poopsockers.

But , there are many other types of poopsockers out there. For example, let people fast travel to places (teleports, boats etc) but give bonuses to people that slow travel like 'pathfinding', which gives you increased chance of finding rare monsters (ie higher chance of a respawn being a named) , getting rare loot etc. but they have to keep moving around or the bonus drops if they stay in one place long.

Combine old school and new for raiding too. Have instanced dungeons. But thres a speciall boss who is not instanced, who you can only reach at the end of the instance. So people can still raid, but theres still a bragging rights mob at the end that can stir competition.

Some more things I'd like to see -

- get rid of pre-ordained mob 'packs' . Mob layout should make sense and flow naturally withe environment. If there's a large hall and a lot of enemies are gathered there together, then they should all come together. The tools needed to deal with the situation should be part of the game. I don't necessarily mean just Fd, but there's definitely room for creativity here. Preprdaining mob groups is just lazy design. It also kills 'realism' imo

Fuya_sl

shitlord
See, for my guild, EQ boss mobs were just loot pinata's, they were the reward for fucking over the other guilds fighting for the same mob in the same zone. We used every tactic would could get away with to steal the mob and out dps the others. Training the zone and other guilds, saving your ht and manaburn, bind rushing, etc, etc, etc, all were fair game.

We had scouts at all the boss spawns and wizards ready to transport as soon as they popped. The most organized assholes won. When the guild call went out we all dropped our groups like they were lepers and rushed to the kill.

On my server we were fighting the asians, aussies and 4 other NA primetime guilds for the kill. It wasn't PvP but it was just as much fun, or more. I really, really miss those days. The drama was intense, and the whole server was on edge listening to every move. Nobody gave a fuck what the strats for the boss mob were. WoW raids are fucking lame compared to killing your competition by beating them to the mob, or just outright stealing it from them by having superior dps (WTF?! you didn't save your manaburn? yer out of the guild yah bastich!.. nah.. HAH).

As a SK my role was crucial to winning the day. I teamed up the the monks and necros to train the other guilds incessently, it was a blast. And they did the same to us. Our guild had a "fuck your server rotation" policy and we loved it. We had great competition in the other guilds and got just as good as we gave.

When we reached the actual boss it was boring. I clicked my ht key and promptly set about trying to get killed by enrage so I could go to the bathroom and get a beer. Then just fd'd in the corner and rolled on loot. The fun was usually over long before we got to the boss.

The rush to the boss against other guilds was what made early raiding in EQ great (until the gm's got involved and ruined it all). There has never been an experience quite like it. Fuck WoW and all your youtube strats, the most boring thing ever invented.
Oh fuck yeah this. I remember being in a guild named Awaken and we would race three other guilds for boss kills. It helped that we could kill bosses with half as many players as the other three, but we would run past them and engage the boss because they were still gathering. Sometimes we would wait for them to wipe and then take it for ourselves. It got to the point that we were the most hated guild on the server. In fact a server wide boycott went out to never group with anyone in the Awaken guild.

That period of time didn't last long as the GMs started to give Awaken a hard time by summoning us away from boss pulls or just straight up de-spawning the bosses. After that we decided the best revenge was just to cock block the other guilds by clearing raid zones they needed next to progress.

I also agree that most bosses were nothing more than auto attack and watch tv.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
what i don't understand is why all the WoW nut huggers are posting in an everquest thread in the first place? you already have your game, and 40 other games just like it. why the fuck do you care if we want to have another everquest game that plays like the original everquest?
great, WoW raids are so fucking hard that it's like having a mental battle with stephen hawking and playing lebron james on the basketball court at the same time. awesome. then go fucking play that game and stop trolling here.
Get over yourself asshole. There was no trolling, or nut hugging going on here. It was a simple, extremely tame debate. This thread is not only for the folks who want to jerk themselves off over how awesome classic EQ was. Anyone here who isn't a immature twat is well aware that when discussing MMOs there are going to be different opinions on pretty much everything. If they don't like it then they should probably stay the fuck off the internet. I didn't fling insults at Grim, Mkopec or Supertouch. They didn't fling them at me. If you don't like the conversation then I suggest you just mind your own damn business and come back when they are discussing something that won't rustle your jimmy.

To answer your question I am posting in a Everquest thread because I am interested in EQ Next. I also happen to enjoy EQ1, which is why I still play it. I also haven't played WoW in YEARS. I just try to call a spade a spade. If I had to pick a game to play right now I'd take EQ over WoW without hesitation. I just don't delude myself into believing that some how makes me a hardcore bad ass.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
The rush to the boss against other guilds was what made early raiding in EQ great
I agree with this. Guild competition is something that I have greatly missed over the years. While I do believe world firsts in WoW are impressive, what is not impressive is just comparing times to see who did it 2nd, 3rd, etc. The race was a lot of fun. It also continued to be fun even after the server/world firsts were out of the way.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Get over yourself asshole. There was no trolling, or nut hugging going on here. It was a simple, extremely tame debate. This thread is not only for the folks who want to jerk themselves off over how awesome classic EQ was. Anyone here who isn't a immature twat is well aware that when discussing MMOs there are going to be different opinions on pretty much everything. If they don't like it then they should probably stay the fuck off the internet. I didn't fling insults at Grim, Mkopec or Supertouch. They didn't fling them at me. If you don't like the conversation then I suggest you just mind your own damn business and come back when they are discussing something that won't rustle your jimmy.

To answer your question I am posting in a Everquest thread because I am interested in EQ Next. I also happen to enjoy EQ1, which is why I still play it. I also haven't played WoW in YEARS. I just try to call a spade a spade. If I had to pick a game to play right now I'd take EQ over WoW without hesitation. I just don't delude myself into believing that some how makes me a hardcore bad ass.
who the fuck said i was talking about you? seems like i touched a nerve. i'm sorry, i didn't mean to emasculate you in this thread. please, continue being an internet tough guy.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
who the fuck said i was talking about you? seems like i touched a nerve. i'm sorry, i didn't mean to emasculate you in this thread. please, continue being an internet tough guy.
Alright, who were you referring too then? Point out all these trolls you were actually referencing and I'll happily apologize for the mistake.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Itzena was just laughing at Dumar. Something everyone should do more often.
tongue.png

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'm fine with anyone talking here. If anyone thinks they can't do anythng "Un-WoW" like on any future MMOs, I just disagree. The next big game will come out of left field with things that people said they couldn't do. It won't be EQ1 reskinned, but it will be a tad slower and less convenient if you ask me. Doesn't mean it can't be modern.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I personally think the goal should be to just aim smaller. Which is why I love the idea of Kickstarter. Smaller budgets should help developers not set unrealistic goals. Seems like the bigger the budget the more screwed up the finished project is. With the insane amount of money that was thrown at SWTOR and Copernicus we should of seen some mind blowing games. Deep pockets = shallow products. Go figure.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I feel like this is my only glimmer of hope in the MMO genre. I'm pretty excited about it even though I know I shouldn't be. I mean, I'm not excited that this is my ONLY hope, but that there IS a hope. I'm officially done with the WoW model or anything close to it. As such, the mmorpg genre is as good as dead to me right now.

Hoping SoE can bring it back to life. I guess my only re-assuring thought is that they were able to step out of the box and create Everquest once. What's stopping them from stepping out of the box again?
My last hope is for World of Darkness the MMORPG (if this project is still going).

EverQuest Next, I'm not too excited about except for the IP (let's hope it will be playable) the whole idea of Cash Shop just turns me off. I will be playing it, but not as an EverQuest sequel... just as a different experience. Let's hope it will be different enough.

Which makes me wonder why SOE needs to change EQ classic? when we all know there are fans of this "sub-genre" of MMORPGs. If they want to try something different they can invent or use a different IP.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
i'd like to know who developers are trying to target these days. it seems like this is the only genre where people expect to make significant progress in 20 minutes. can you imagine people approaching every fucking game that way? "oh, i'm going to buy skyrim and play 10 minutes every day instead of behaving like a normal human being and playing when i have adequate free time." i find it hard to believe that the mmo community is largely comprised of non-gamers.
This "people don't have enough time anymore to play long sessions" is just steaming pile of bullshit.

My older brother loves EverQuest and he was addicted to it. He was a middle aged man with 4 children wife and a full time job. But he would never even care to login to a game like WoW to begin with.

For me, I really don't see a difference between the "you must slice content into segments of 10 minutes so players must feel they've accomplished something"... Bull Shit. If I only have 10 minutes to spare, why the fuck am I logging in to begin with? Also, WoW style MMORPG I call them "World of Runcraft" because I waste most of my time running.... from quest-hub to quest to quest-hub. Wasted time, being forced to "run" all the time.

Back in the day, at least I got to choose what to do. If I have enough time to do a dungeon, I'd do a dungeon. If I just have 30 minutes, I'd craft. If I have one hour to spare I'd solo for a little while or do some random farming. Why do I need to kill 10 foozles just because I only have 10 minutes??? well, fuck you lazy-ass developer.
rolleyes.png

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
No. This is what encounters in EverQuest looked like:
Lol is that the "stare at the wall to reduce lag" maneuver?
tongue.png

Damn, for me almost all EQ raids were so boring and tedious that I'd rather slam my head to the wall during the whole process.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lol is that the "stare at the wall to reduce lag" maneuver?
tongue.png

Damn, for me almost all EQ raids were so boring and tedious that I'd rather slam my head to the wall during the whole process.
Staring at the wall to reduce lag was if you had a machine worse than mine. I was running on Celeron 400 with 256MB of Ram
wink.png
Going from PoKnowledge to Barindu took me between 25 to 30 minutes due to all the zoning times.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You guys must have loved the Bazaar when that went live. Holy shit what a slide show that was. That zone alone forced me to upgrade my rig.