EQ Never

Vitality

HUSTLE
EQNext not having such huge ranges of "levels" should hopefully free the Emergent AI system to do whatever it wants, without having to worry about whether players can outlevel the content or not. The system they are proposing doesn't seem like it would work in a mostly static world/content system like Rift or GW2.
They're basically pitching a Terraria-esque content progression tier system. From what I can understand. The deeper you go the harder stuff gets. (Not sure if they meant that in a literal sense or not)

The replayability factor here is pretty verticle however, horizontal replayability is particularly coralled in PVP.

You can only save the princess from whatever variant of nagafen is on your server so many times before it becomes dull. I'm hoping to see player wars over said princess etc. Ideally the Nagafen Faction vs the Light Faction or whatever. Winner claims the lair.

That would suit my horizontal needs.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Servers? This isn't going to be 1 big server?
Soooo, what happens to those who backed X faction or did X Rallycalls and then thrown into a condensed server merge 6month to a year after release, all the efforts made are now gone to them or missing or now hated in the now new-to-them cities due to choices from their old server? Rebuild their toon to match the new server and possibly redo unlocks they did before from scratch? Seems like a toon death/reset to me in the making.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Servers? This isn't going to be 1 big server?
Bro, do you even read?

Soooo, what happens to those who backed X faction or did X Rallycalls and then thrown into a condensed server merge 6month to a year after release, all the efforts made are now gone to them or missing or now hated in the now new-to-them cities due to choices from their old server? Rebuild their toon to match the new server and possibly redo unlocks they did before from scratch? Seems like a toon death/reset to me in the making.
Pretty dumb to speculate what's going to happen when servers do or don't get merged in a game that's pre-alpha. Playing along though, I'd guess though that after unlocking a class on one character, you'd be able to purchase it to unlock for another character on another server. If the world really does react to your personal choices, I don't see how character transfers will be possible.

I'd prefer if they just didn't allow character transfers at all, though. Make your choices and live with them.

Maybe they end up going with a Landmark style travel system and you're not allowed to impact worlds or get quests in worlds other than your own.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Btw, they just mentioned on the Landmark livestream that they plan to redo the Storybricks panel, and post the video online-so we should get a version of that panel that we can actually understand, eventually.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The system they are proposing doesn't seem like it would work in a mostly static world/content system like Rift or GW2.
Actually, it would in GW2. If you look at the events loops in various zones, it's obvious that those are intended to simulate the various factions pushes. The whole Seraphs vs Centaurs in Queensdale is the most obvious at low level, but the Pact-Zaitan pushes in the Orr area is another example. The problem with the GW2 model is that GW2 uses "small" static zones, which are ill-suited with the kind of sweeping changes they want to make, and the mega-server model they now use require each zone to evolve on its own, and to appear/disappear on relatively short notices. But in GW2's world at launch? Totally.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
GW2's issue was that everything cycled too fast and predictably. Why defend this outpost if I can take it back within 10 minutes whenever I need to access it? That coupled with the fact that you actually didnt need to access anything for specific reasons because of their bland loot system meant people stopped caring quickly. Those problems are probably not going to be a big factor for EQN.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
QuqGRMe.png
QuqGRMe.png

QuqGRMe.png
QuqGRMe.png

QuqGRMe.png
QuqGRMe.png

Vitality

HUSTLE
Those problems are probably not going to be a big factor for EQN.
I'm not convinced that this is true, any game with a tiered difficulty approach incites content avoidance, what makes you think EQN's theoretical world will be more rewarding than GW2's? Just looking at EQN's proposed items in game you can tell they're basically simplified versions of GW2's runes/sigils (w/e their called).

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
It entirely depends on the tier system. A game like EVE had a tier system but since it mostly revolved around gold acquisition or raw materials that you would then trade to buy completed products made by players they didn't have the problem of people skipping too much content. It only makes sense to try to skip a tier when you are actually skipping something, like say skipping WoWs normal mode dungeons at the start of an expac in favor of LFR or heroic dungeons, ya you might spend the first day or two wiping horribly at a pace that is like 1/4th what you would move at if you just did normal but who cares you are skipping that entire tier, but in a game like EVE suffering through content you can barely handle like that is counter productive because you might as well do an easier mission that gives half as much reward but you can complete it 4x as fast with no deaths. Problem WoW has is each tier makes the previous one obsolete.

D3s torment tiers are another example of that, you don't see many people trying to do insane torment levels in yellows because sticking to T1 or 2 where you can kill at a good pace is far more rewarding than dieing every 10 seconds and taking 4 hours to clear through T6.

The key is that rewards across tiers should be basically the same just with higher volume of whatever(gold/resources/rng legendary drops) going to the people who can handle the higher tier.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
My question is will their new ideas and systems be sustainable. We've seen a lot of niche ideas and rehashing of mechanics but in the end people want to progress and get to whatever is considered the end game. How much of their ideas are going to bring in the core player base. How much of this will consume player's time and what will be the required time to give to their systems. I have a fear of these mechanics leaving players behind as the world changes due to player actions, you run the risk of entire story lines altering while players are not a part of that change. That is probably a relatively minimal problem but the primary concern for me will be how much are these grand ideas going to be part of the game. To me, they need to eliminate any sign of traditional alternatives. I believe that is the plan but in a year or two, a lot could change. Their ideas need to 100% impact how people solo, group, quest, and raid. If that is the plan, it needs to do so completely. There will then lie the risk... if they change the way we play MMO's and I hope they do, will it be something we enjoy doing for 3-5 years? As of right now, after about 30-90 days you either quit or decide to find the most efficient method of leveling and take part in the end game before ultimately burning out and tap your foot awaiting new content.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I expect there isn't going to be a complete random factor as to what spawns in each region, although I would like to see at least 3-5 possibilities optimally. Everfrost mobs shouldn't be showing up in the Desert of Ro for example. But I also don't expect to have 40 pages of factions and orcs from Crushbone/gfay/lfay would all be the same related faction.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I expect there isn't going to be a complete random factor as to what spawns in each region, although I would like to see at least 3-5 possibilities optimally. Everfrost mobs shouldn't be showing up in the Desert of Ro for example. But I also don't expect to have 40 pages of factions and orcs from Crushbone/gfay/lfay would all be the same related faction.
How much of this will actually matter to you though? I personally don't really care about it. I'll go where I need rep and achieves and discard the rest, considering that it seems to be the only tangibly permanent reward set for doing content (From what I can tell).

To me, I simply don't feel the weight behind their description of "AI", it all boils down to "Why should I care about this". If I can obtain something permanently unique by completing/participating in a major cataclysmic event that's a different story.

Example: My Shadowknight happens to learn the Summon Undead Guard skill from defeating the Qeynos guard and claiming the city during the seige of qeynos cataclysmic one time event.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating this playstyle. So don't get mad.

Edit: PVE in EVE online is multi-tiered and completely simplified into a "Wealth generating activity"

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I'd assume that Everfrost mobs would have the storybrick "Enjoys the cold" so they would only go to areas with cold in them. Same with Lava sand etc etc etc

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
How much of this will actually matter to you though? I personally don't really care about it. I'll go where I need rep and achieves and discard the rest, considering that it seems to be the only tangibly permanent reward set for doing content (From what I can tell).

To me, I simply don't feel the weight behind their description of "AI", it all boils down to "Why should I care about this". If I can obtain something permanently unique by completing/participating in a major cataclysmic event that's a different story.

Example: My Shadowknight happens to learn the Summon Undead Guard skill from defeating the Qeynos guard and claiming the city during the seige of qeynos cataclysmic one time event.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating this playstyle. So don't get mad.

Edit: PVE in EVE online is multi-tiered and completely simplified into a "Wealth generating activity"
That kind of reward may not be for you. They have already stated they want rewards for whatever playstyle you have. For some, like me, unique mobs are a great step forward and I want to be part of as many one time events as possible. I want to see how the environment changes. What I can help do to influence the game I play. The effort of a new AI system instead of the same tired shit. Your type of game is really easy to make and I'm sure they have the options for it. Grind looking for gear as a form of advancement... or basically the same system used since the 90s for this genre. You don't have to care about the AI to enjoy your games. You already enjoy games with very limited scripting and I'm sure they will have some hard to get loot. Nothing is unique with loot so you will just have to find a way to be first, or something.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I might be happy with just setting up a rat pelt cart outside Qeynos for the newbie quest. Who knows. I was that guy giving out CLR buffs at WFP gate in the 99 era.

The problem I've been having lately with this genre is that there's literally no need to interact with the community.

Which makes me sad about EQN because everyones hyping up the AI, I want the community to be Hype you know?

I'm not seeing any heavy community impacting topics pop up about this game, so I'm keeping all this at arms length.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Oh, damn. I was out on a business trip for a while and completely missed that SOE Live happened and that there were EQ Next announcements. Going to watch the keynote now.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I hope the community aspect comes from getting to know people who hunt in your areas and from rallying people together to try to push for events that you want. I kinda hope if I end up migrating out towards like the commonlands area that I will get to know some other people who hang out there and either work with or against them in different events. Kind of like how EVE might be a mega server but since people live in their little areas you can still get to know people. So it will depend alot on whether they allow really fast travel and there are 100k people on the server all bouncing around constantly and you really never get to know many of them cause you rarely see anyone twice.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's hard to expect or hype up a community aspect where we don't know where the framework of the land, the quasi-static landmarks, and the randomness of the AI and storybricks will begin. Continents don't need to be on rails but there needs to be something more concrete than 1d20 faction spawns for each region so the mass of players can support hubs in the center focal points. Otherwise we'll have roving nomads of both players (and eventually bots) who simply wipe areas clean and move on and that's not much to build a community on.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Btw, they just mentioned on the Landmark livestream that they plan to redo the Storybricks panel, and post the video online-so we should get a version of that panel that we can actually understand, eventually.
I was there and the guy was hard as hell to understand so I am grateful for this. He has a pretty odd accent combined with a quite voice and a bad mic and it was hard to figure out what the blazes he was talking about at times.