EQ Never

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm very in the middle on this project where I desperately want it to be amazing but see more than a few warning signs for potential disaster and I'm with you on a few points. The problem is that most of their crowd development is filled with a bunch of yes men that will drool over anything. So yeah, people applaud shields and look past all the ugly present which isn't exactly an excellent source of feedback.

That EQN keynote (people in this thread have downplayed what a keynote is supposed to be for some reason) is garbage tier. Badly animated (combat and general movement), bad spell effects and a very obviously player built town. That was the extent of it. Also, the dark elves are reskinned humans. Why is it running so poorly on their end? Ungodly optimizations are needed.

Right now EQN is a series of hypotheticals that if combined together properly could make for an amazing experience. This was supposed to be the year that Landmark and EQN totally separate themselves but instead nearly everything we learned about was dug up through Landmark shit.

There are a lot of tools at play, probably too many. It's great if they can throw it all in a basket, reach in and pull out something amazing. Unfortunately, the odds are better that they reach in and return with a mangled hand.

I can't help but feel like big poppa Blizzard is looming in the background, extracting the good, dumping the bad, and making an MMO that's embodies most of what SOE is trying to do but better.

Also, I love Jeremy Soule but he definitely has a sound.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I'm very in the middle on this project where I desperately want it to be amazing but see more than a few warning signs for potential disaster and I'm with you on a few points. The problem is that most of their crowd development is filled with a bunch of yes men that will drool over anything. So yeah, people applaud shields and look past all the ugly present which isn't exactly an excellent source of feedback.

That EQN keynote (people in this thread have downplayed what a keynote is supposed to be for some reason) is garbage tier. Badly animated (combat and general movement), bad spell effects and a very obviously player built town. That was the extent of it. Also, the dark elves are reskinned humans. Why is it running so poorly on their end? Ungodly optimizations are needed.

Right now EQN is a series of hypotheticals that if combined together properly could make for an amazing experience. This was supposed to be the year that Landmark and EQN totally separate themselves but instead nearly everything we learned about was dug up through Landmark shit.

There are a lot of tools at play, probably too many. It's great if they can throw it all in a basket, reach in and pull out something amazing. Unfortunately, the odds are better that they reach in and return with a mangled hand.

I can't help but feel like big poppa Blizzard is looming in the background, extracting the good, dumping the bad, and making an MMO that's embodies most of what SOE is trying to do but better.

Also, I love Jeremy Soule but he definitely has a sound.
Man, If Blizzard makes "EQ next" before Sony can it would kill the company, I have a feeling they are putting a lot of money in Next and Landmark and if it's not a hit they are going under.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
100% agree here. And I would bet a majority of that will come from easier to use tools for the player base at large, superbly designed and streamlined user interface, and as usual, fantastic animations with detail. If I were SOE I would be extremely worried about this. Especially if they announce Titan at Blizzcon 2014 as rumored and completely blow a feature list right passed Landmark/EQ Next and take the wind out of their sails. At this point I also wouldn't be surprised if Titan is a lot more further along even with a design shift a while back.

SOE just doesn't have what it takes to focus on core features of what this type of game needs.(Listed above)Where Blizzard has been making design tools for their own employees so easy that a lone 19 year old QA contract worker would be able to design a zone based on that person's imagination alone. Which obviously makes it easier for the average casual gamer to pick up and play.

Column_sl

shitlord
They're not even making the same types of games lol.

EQ is making a sandbox MMO. Which is a fairly new sub-genre to begin with, and wildly successful if you take DAYZ as a barometer.
You are trying to equate games of the past with what they are doing now.

MMO's as we know it are dead. Everyone that launches fails immediately. Nobody wants those games anymore, certainly not kids.

The only reason WOW still succeeds is because it is a long standing IP, that kids parents played at some point. If that shit launched today it would be a miserable failure.

Blizzard knows this for sure.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
100% agree here. And I would bet a majority of that will come from easier to use tools for the player base at large, superbly designed and streamlined user interface, and as usual, fantastic animations with detail. If I were SOE I would be extremely worried about this. Especially if they announce Titan at Blizzcon 2014 as rumored and completely blow a feature list right passed Landmark/EQ Next and take the wind out of their sails. At this point I also wouldn't be surprised if Titan is a lot more further along.
If I remember correctly blizzard supposedly scrapped titan right before the first peaks of Landmark began happening. The rumor was they saw what Sony was doing and knew they had to try something new to compete.

After seeing what SOE had for Next I wouldn't doubt that Blizzard is already up to par or beyond them on their MMO.

I've said it before, I truly think that releasing Landmark and it's unexpected success has slowed EQN development dramatically. The time spent making sure servers are up and game breaking bugs are fixed as well as adding content to the alpha is outweighing the benefits of players making houses for you.

Sony is making $$ off landmark for sure, Just the other day I almost bought a house for $5 because I didn't feel like living in a shitty hut because I can't create shit. But this shortsightedness in terms of development may let Blizzard steal victory again.

Column_sl

shitlord
Crazy talk, Landmark will be the reason they succeed. Just look at the marketplace.

You guys are just old now, and have no grasp on reality anymore. Just look what the top games are, they're not MMO's.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
MMOs aren't dead, but DIKU clones are basically dead. You need to start chasing MOBA-like design if you want to hit a broader audience. If you don't go that direction, you need to create some kind of crazy game changer where the world you are playing in is never ever static.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Yeah - I forgot while watching this that it's a KEYNOTE. This doesn't remotely seem like a keynote. Just a regular panel.

I don't think Blizz is looming - everything I read indicates that after Titan got canned, they no longer have a MMORPG in the works. The team was disseminated, many went to WoW, some stuff may be reused for a new game, but it won't be a MMORPG. Made it sound like, sure, they're thinking of their next MMORPG, but there's nothing concrete now. Just coming up with design and ideas. They've even said they've thought about doing a WoW 2.0, and what that would be, and what could they do that would work.

All that to say - I don't think Blizzard currently has anything even remotely concrete for a plan going forward on a MMORPG at the moment.

If history continues to repeat itself - SoE will release EQ: Next and a few years later Blizzard will come out with something and take all the players.

Column_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't be too sure about that.
I bet money they are long time from announcing anything like that from Blizzard for awhile. Titan was scrapped for a reason.

They still make tons of money off wow, they don't need to risk anything in that space. That card game alone is making more money then any MMO that has launched in the last decade.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I bet money they are long time from announcing anything like that from Blizzard for awhile. Titan was scrapped for a reason.
Titan wasn't scrapped. It went through a stop/start. And it still has a team. FYI. It is significantly altered from what it was, however.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>

They still make tons of money off wow, they don't need to risk anything in that space. That card game alone is making more money then any MMO that has launched in the last decade.
I love me some hearthstone I would be happy if they canned titan to make more expansions for HS.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Titan wasn't scrapped. It went through a stop/start. And it still has a team. FYI. It is significantly altered from what it was, however.
Fact. They scoped out SOE Live 2013 and changed design principals accordingly, I'd bet we hear it at least mentioned at this year's Blizzcon

Column_sl

shitlord
Titan is just a code name for whatever. Nobody even knows what it is. Trust me they scrapped that project, and are looking to do something different. You are a fool, after all these years with Blizzard, that they are going to announce what Titan is at this years Blizzcon.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Titan is just a code name for whatever. Nobody even knows what it is. Trust me they scrapped that project, and are looking to do something different. You are a fool, after all these years with Blizzard, that they are going to announce what Titan is at this years Blizzcon.
rolleyes.png

Ok. Last time I will post on this. They didn't scrap the project. They shifted resources while it went through a redesign phase, and it is still in development now and has been for a while now.

You'll see soon enough.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Only thing I'll be seeing this year from Blizzard is them pimping there shitball MOBA, and there lame expansion for WOW.
Lamer than your spelling?

(Or should I say, "lamer than you're spelling")

*rimshot*

I'll be here all night!