EQ Never

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There has to be some type of progression. Else, why are people going to continue to log in? The only thing I got from the whole armor video was that we were going to level via item level. Where an item at raid tier would be + 60% fire damage, +60% light damage, Hammer of justice cool down lowered by 2 seconds, and your light abilities now also count as nature. Where at the lowest item level, you would have .05 second cool down reduction on hammer of justice and that's it. If stats at all in the beginning.

Just look at it as if you're playing WoW, and instead of starting at level one and being pigeon holed into a level range - you now start at 90 and just work on gear instead. Ie. They're just giving you the f'n end game as the game in hopes that it'll be an easy transition for people to switch games. A fresh 90 can join a heroic raid and can still get by, but you know you want the guy with heroic gear. I'm just curious how it's all going to work a few expansions in since they don't have a level to raise so they can reset gear that way. The hamster wheel of an MMO.

You disagree with the new paint job metaphor, but from what they have told us - that's exactly what it is. Im not unhappy with it, and I've been waiting for a company to do it. It's just not ground breaking like people are claiming/thinking.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
This. Except they're not really using the lore or history either. But hey, its got heroic movement, so yeah.
Hah, that's exactly what I thought too.

They're reusing some nouns is about it.
I just have to add another quote to echo this statement. They arent using the existing IP. They are just using some names from the existing IP but in a different context. They're making a romantic comedy movie titled Mad Max, would you call that "using the IP"?

So if they arent using the mechanics, lore or history, what connection exactly besides re-used location names does this have with EQ? And to answer that pre-emptively, they are doing it because it gets them some money on name recognition from people that arent actually the target demographic. That's purely a business decision, perhaps even a smart one. However you dont get to paint that choice as proper use of an existing IP, that's laughable.

Standard disclaimer: I still think it's the most (only?) promising game on the horizon.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Georgeson already said that EQ1,EQ2 and EQ Next are all on different planes of existence and are connected to something called the ethernere. It's basically heaven for dead players and everyone from each game ends up there no matter what the time line. They are already doing stuff in EQ1-2 where EQ1 Cazic teamed up with EQ2 Rallos to try and take over Heaven after they got killed.

It's just an alternate dimension bros, I for one am going to remake my EQ1 human bard but give him an evil mustache to reflect this.

Ask the Druid - The New Lore of EverQuest Next (So Far) | EQHammer

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I agree that the gear aspect is pretty much the same thing and probably the main reason some people continue the hamster wheel. They are talking about doing a whole lot more than just that though. It's like getting a new sports car that does almost everything different but you focus on engine size. Maybe the new engine works just as well, saves gas, and is actually faster.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I JUST saw the SOELive '14 footage, stand by for additional denouncement of the direction this title is being taken while simultaneously lamenting that there isn't anything else on the horizon so fuck it. bbl.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I JUST saw the SOELive '14 footage, stand by for additional denouncement of the direction this title is being taken while simultaneously lamenting that there isn't anything else on the horizon so fuck it. bbl.
No lie, It was awful. They used one player made city for all the demos and didn't show anything worth talking about. Still hopeful though because this is the last MMO for me and a lot of other people.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Things that arent ready usually do suck.

SOE may regret doing this thing in a transparent way if people cant get around the unfinished state of unfinished things. A normal process of making a game would not have shown us what they have shown. In that sense we have nothing to compare it to.

They have made it pretty clear they are looking to change things in response to feedback... so feedback away, but don't mistake what you see in pre-alpha for what the game will be.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
The game is pre-Alpha, I get that, that is an aspect of our analysis of EQN that isn't lost on anyone who posts here or survived the great sandstorm of SOELive 2013. I don't think the mechanics of what it means to be a cleric, for instance, have anything to do with level of completion (i.e. clerics do rush attacks and are essentially a warrior with yellow particle effects, and combat in general is a spammy AOE two pump chump affair) . I don't think design philosophy is going to dramatically shift as the game becomes more complete either.

They made statements regarding their willingness to alter things due to feedback over a year ago as well, yet none of those things have been addressed either, nor will they as far as I can see. This will end up as basically Elder Scrolls Guild Wars 2 Online with voxels and an Anime twist, and will probably do very well but it just doesn't send a thrill up my leg right now personally, and probably won't later either despite any level of completion or polish.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I was completely out of it during SOE Live - I didn't even realize it was happening. Does anyone have any youtube or other links of actual EQ: Next stuff (not Landmark)?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Georgeson already said that EQ1,EQ2 and EQ Next are all on different planes of existence and are connected to something called the ethernere. It's basically heaven for dead players and everyone from each game ends up there no matter what the time line. They are already doing stuff in EQ1-2 where EQ1 Cazic teamed up with EQ2 Rallos to try and take over Heaven after they got killed.

It's just an alternate dimension bros, I for one am going to remake my EQ1 human bard but give him an evil mustache to reflect this.

Ask the Druid - The New Lore of EverQuest Next (So Far) | EQHammer
EQ2 heavily delved into this in their last expansion. You get to visit dungeons from several "Threads" beyond EQ1-2's (crazy HHK, Guk filled with bixies, etc..)which made me wonder if we didn't get a sneak peek at some of EQ Next's lore/dungeons.

It was pretty fucking lame though.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
That chick that's lead for Everquest Landmark made me very skeptical of the whole project. She refused to let players create smoke anywhere they wanted. So players were taking a campfire and shrinking it down and then disguising the campfire base. She finally gave in and put on an act that she was excited about it, but you could tell that she was mad that she was finally over ruled so players didn't have to hide a base anymore. That type of stubbornness on something so small and mundane displays a mountain of possible problems from just her, alone. I want the Next to succeed, but under leadership like that??...
Rosie Rapport is the ART DIRECTOR for Landmark; in a Workshop episode, she noted that many people were hiding props to show only the smoke effects, which isn't something they had originally planned for. She recognized this was happening and said that in the future they'd like to uncouple effects from props so that players didn't have to do the workaround.

I don't know where people are getting the stubborn attitude from; she could have not even addressed it in the first place.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Same here, I forgot about it until today.
Thanks Flex. Watching it now - Night Elves look alright, given the overall art style, but wow, that human run animation looks terrible to me. Is that a common gripe that isn't worth rehashing?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Rosie Rapport is the ART DIRECTOR for Landmark; in a Workshop episode, she noted that many people were hiding props to show only the smoke effects, which isn't something they had originally planned for. She recognized this was happening and said that in the future they'd like to uncouple effects from props so that players didn't have to do the workaround.

I don't know where people are getting the stubborn attitude from; she could have not even addressed it in the first place.
People are retarded. That's the problem.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
No matter how good or bad this game turns out the crying and lamenting of some people who can't get over a twenty year old game will be entertainment enough for years to come.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sadly, a 20 year later 4K remake would probably be a better game than what they come up with. It's like asking for a FF7 HD remake, it would be awesome but then Square would literally be giving up on trying to create new ideas.

Siliconemelons

Maybe SOE like Square wont "make a FF7 HD remake until we make something better" aka never because the last five FF games have been poo

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Same here, I forgot about it until today.

Holy nuts. This is the first time ever viewing this video.

Hire some decent animators for God's sake.

Can someone tell me how Jeff Butler/Steve Danuser/Pony Tail still have jobs? (Completely 100% would love an honest answer to the question, question)

And why are people clapping when being shown the artwork of a shield, or when two characters die? And quite honestly, what is the hype with Jeremy Soule, He hasn't composed anything that didn't sound like a Morrowind Sequel since.... an expansion for Morrowind. Hire Jason Hayes.