EQ Never

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
Explain to me how I move across a games terrain matters to you so much? It doesn't ruin my immersion, maybe because I never lose sight of the fact I am playing a fucking game...
In a game of real consequences then traveling through an area that is dangerous provides a certain excitement and adventure, as well as intelligence.

I guess I answer my own question, EQ:N will have no consequences. There will be no penalties for dying and any choice you make is the right one! Anyone with a pulse will enjoy this game!

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
Okay, bud, thanks for trying at least.
Your'e welcome. Like I said, instant travel and classes being able to port are not the same. You seem to be blurring these things as one.

My point is this: porting should be a privilege that you achieve through hard work and the style of your class you choose. Being a high fantasy snob, I have a hard time reconciling a huge Ogre Warrior with no magical ability, just instantly porting across the continent. It's generic and ruins the game.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
That looks awesome as shit. I hope they can actually make the game run decently looking like that.
I'm kind of curious.. with all the effort they're putting into rigging faces for SOE-Emote and the entire animation system. It's pretty crazy.. you can set your mood mode which effects every single emote in the game; /angry, your face will turn angry, you /wave angrily (literally, a different wave animation depending on your mood), you /point angrily; /sad you /wave sadly, you shrug sadly. If you kneel, you stay down, until you stand again. You can /skip and you'll keep skipping until you /stand again. You can /drunk and you'll stumble around until you cancel out of it. The whole thing is very in-depth compared to other MMOs.

Here are mood system examples:Emotes - Landmark Closed Beta - YouTube

Is this all for roleplayers or .. what? I guess people could technically make movies in the game, if they were inclined. /foodforthought

One other possible explanation is that Storybricks looks to have some sort of emote response system. If you speak angrily to an NPC they can react differently depending on if you're happy or sad. Kinda strange, but would be interesting if your character mood made an actual gameplay difference.

Storybricks:Setting your mood

Vitality

HUSTLE
I have a hard time reconciling a huge Ogre Warrior with no magical ability, just instantly porting across the continent. It's generic and ruins the game.
My Ogre Warrior instantly traveled to places pre PoP pretty easily and quickly. All it took was a boxed level-bad alt druid/wiz. Reconcile that.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
I'm kind of curious.. with all the effort they're putting into rigging faces for SOE-Emote and the entire animation system. It's pretty crazy.. you can set your mood mode which effects every single emote in the game; /angry, your face will turn angry, you /wave angrily (literally, a different wave animation depending on your mood), you /point angrily; /sad you /wave sadly, you shrug sadly. If you kneel, you stay down, until you stand again. You can /skip and you'll keep skipping until you /stand again. You can /drunk and you'll stumble around until you cancel out of it. The whole thing is very in-depth compared to other MMOs.

Here's are mood system examples:Emotes - Landmark Closed Beta - YouTube

Is this all for roleplayers or .. what? I guess people could technically make movies in the game, if they were inclined. /foodforthought
Sony's logic:

Spend 100 million on a new and radical way to change your face emotes. The grass actually sways in the wind depending on the trajectory of a Dwarf's fart!

Spend $20 on game mechanics and overall design logic.

The masses will fall for trinkets and flashy objects when the overall game is steaming garbage infused with rat feces.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Dragoon is the old man yelling at the kids to get the fuck off of his lawn. Times have passed him by and instead of finding the fun in the new ways he'd rather get bitter about change.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Being a high fantasy snob, I have a hard time reconciling a huge Ogre Warrior with no magical ability, just instantly porting across the continent. It's generic and ruins the game.
What about a huge Ogre that bought a wizard-crafted portal shard that can be consumed and teleport him to any wizard spire in the game?

I think it partly comes down to presentation; if they make it feel like it's part of the world, it would go a lot further in winning me over, but I think it's too early to tell right now. That implementation is pretty easy to pull off, even in Landmark.

I'd say look to Landmark, and see how it shapes up. Right now they have craftable Portal Shards that, when used, will allow you to go to a wizard spire, a claim you own, or a friend's claim. They require 1 elemental copper (which is an uncommon drop from mining copper), 5 copper bars (500 raw copper to make), and 100 Agate.

I use mine pretty sparingly, but will use one if I'm at the bottom of a cave and don't want to backtrack all the way out.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Dragoon is the old man yelling at the kids to get the fuck off of his lawn. Times have passed him by and instead of finding the fun in the new ways he'd rather get bitter about change.
He smells like bud light, old spice and gun grease. Brings back memories.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
In a game of real consequences then traveling through an area that is dangerous provides a certain excitement and adventure, as well as intelligence.

I guess I answer my own question, EQ:N will have no consequences. There will be no penalties for dying and any choice you make is the right one! Anyone with a pulse will enjoy this game!
You seem to be one of those guys who only sees the world from his own perspective. Completely closed minded to any view that differs from your own.

The journey through dangerous lands to your destination is fun. End of discussion.
You will always have the option to walk from any point in the game to your desired destination. You seem to believe this makes you smarter. But why do you care how I get from point A to point B? How does this affect your game play? While I am busy being all care bear and dumbed up porting from place to place. You can be taking that long repetitive journey as many times as you like.

Your stance make no sense other than you feel you have the right to tell me and others how we should be playing a game. Your emersion sounds more like someone burying their head in the sand and repeating lalalalalalala because you're not getting your way. Don't use the damn portal if it bothers you that much.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
You seem to be one of those guys who only sees the world from his own perspective. Completely closed minded to any view that differs from your own. You will always have the option to walk from any point in the game to your desired destination. You seem to believe this makes you smarter. But why do you care how I get from point A to point B? How does this affect your game play? While I am busy being all care bear and dumbed up porting from place to place. You can be taking that long repetitive journey as many times as you like.

Your stance make no sense other than you feel you have the right to tell me and others how we should be playing a game. Your emersion sounds more like someone burying their head in the sand and repeating lalalalalalala because you're not getting your way. Don't use the damn portal if it bothers you that much.
It not only affects my game-play, it affects the entire community because it allows for noobs to survive and not suffer the consequences of making a wrong choice. In a sense it is eliminating survival of the fittest and allowing a super generic experience.

HelloKittyQuest: Next. --------> Pay to win, all intelligence levels allowed, mentally handicapped players encouraged, ages 2+ and up!

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
That's not as bad, but it is still a cheap way to cater to the little kids and fat/lazy neck-beards.
I'd say the fat, lazy neck-beards would be the ones who would be on your side of the argument. It's the people who have lives/family who don't really want to spend an hour of their nightly leisure time just getting to where they're going that would be disagreeing with you.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
It is sad , but true, that at the age of 27 I am considered wizened and sage-like in my wisdom on the arts of the MMORPG. Come gather around kids and I will tell you of the golden era of online gaming...

Goonsquad Officer
The porting thing in eq1 (pre PoP) was huge and more organic. hell even PoP was better than "sit afk till you get a group port to the dungeon" because you could just get to one of a few hubs and link up with other low level dudes.

I played an SK and untill i figured out the over there mallet quest, I had no way to quick travel in the world barring shouting to the single zone i was in, that I'd like to pay some one to give me a ride to within a few zones of where i wanted to go. If it was pre-velious dragon rings opening up I had to hope it was a druid with access to the dragon rings. One of my RL friends was a druid and she'd always shoot me the deal "if you walk to a ring, i'll TP you" any time she was playing. which meant that I had to go from farming greenmist parts in the crypt of dalnir > warslik's woods > over there > frontier Mountains > dreadlands. I was also lucky, as an SK i could invis myself without any weird problems. my warrior and cleric buddies just had to hoof it and hope they could be attentive enough to not agro mobs or to Jboots through them if they had a pair.

Once I got that port, She'd land me in say, iceclad ocean ring, and I'd hoof it. Ice clad ocean > eastern wastes > great divide (or kael drakkel) to get in a giant farmin group.

so to change what i'm working on I'd have to go dalnir > warslik's woods > over there > frontier Mountains > dreadlands > Ice clad ocean > eastern wastes > great divide . Or i could find a player (pays to be social). or i could try to find something else locally to work on. maybe farm some dust in droga for the sarnak cord quest.

In all the mmo's i've played (aside from eve) my high level play experience goes something like this.

OR if i was knee deep in some activity (presuming there's non group content worth even looking at in a modern mmo) i would:

Hearthstone_analog > Clicky Gate > be at dungeon (to suck in the rest of the group).

the difference between modern mmo instant gratification and old eq organic expansive world is huge. I know the geography in modern mmo's are physically huge, but the world ends up boiling down to your home town, the teliport system and/or how you instantly get to theme park dungeons. there's no expansive dungeons to spend hours camping/sneaking around in. no factions that matter. just a bland lobby for the instancing.

Sorry to ramble. I just see the omni-porting of modern games as detrimental to the worldly feel. man I may have to go play SoD or something now
frown.png

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
I'd say the fat, lazy neck-beards would be the ones who would be on your side of the argument. It's the people who have lives/family who don't really want to spend an hour of their nightly leisure time just getting to where they're going that would be disagreeing with you.
The entire point I am trying to make is that you will have fun journeying through a detailed land! You aren't wasting your time, you are having fun by being drawn into a world of consequences and danger, when you have no idea where you are going and it takes skill, intelligence and group effort to travel!

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The entire point I am trying to make is that you will have fun journeying through a detailed land! You aren't wasting your time, you are having fun by being drawn into a world of consequences and danger, when you have no idea where you are going and it takes skill, intelligence and group effort to travel!
I can't ever recall having fun while traveling around EQ.