EQ Never

Vitality

HUSTLE
I loved the fact that you had regular porters that would make money porting groups. It made the community interact and produced friendship.

Instant travel KILLS this.
Would you meet this game in the middle and agree on player crafted one time use nexus crystals or something?

Hunting down a druid/wiz was pretty lame at times, especially if you were stuck in kunark somewhere.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Would you meet this game in the middle and agree on player crafted one time use nexus crystals or something?

Hunting down a druid/wiz was pretty lame at times, especially if you were stuck in kunark somewhere.
Crafting those one time ports would have to come at a steep price for me if i'm making the game. I would also want this to be a source of income for tradeskillers. I'm good with about anything if accomplishing any game mechanic or feature requires you to somehow work with other people.

Something to go along with this particular topic, remember the little huts and inns in EQ like in Commonlands? I would like to see Tradeskillers be able to create small shops such as this instead of using an auction house. So if you wanted a port crystal or whatever, you travelled to so-and-so's shop in East Commons and loaded up on ports crystals. Tradeskillers should have to work these shops unless they reach a certain level and can pay for tradeskiller mercs. I think you could do 10 shops per zone or have 50 shops per town. This would help people not necessarily just find the cheapest price in an auction window but also allow people to place shops in areas and charge based on the foot traffic. If you have a shop near NTOV, you may charge a little more for Coffins for summoning or whatever items would be for raids unless they want to port out to a cheaper store at a town or from a friend.

If you run out of spaces, allow people to create partnerships in businesses to create more stock thus more competition. I really feel like MMO's went the other direction stuffing more and more features into the background and slapping an interface on the front. I don't mind a lot of the features in MMO's today but I don't see why they have to all work in the background. Such as a group finder. or dungeon finder. Why can't these be available in certain taverns. Players travel to certain towns, interact with certain people, and then magically ported into a dungeon. At least then there's at least some layer of adventuring through the world.

Right now, there is no reason to have anything more than a capital city. Once you get there, you just menu jump and port yourself into instances and battlegrounds. The rest of the world is irrelevant.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Right now, there is no reason to have anything more than a capital city. Once you get there, you just menu jump and port yourself into instances and battlegrounds. The rest of the world is irrelevant.
That's mainly because of the point we are at in the genre. WoW is a decade old game and has still done a lot to try and get new mileage but only so much can be done honestly. It happens with all games after a point. I do really like how EQ reused older content and wish more games would improve on this. Having higher level content in lower level zones is a great way to keep nostalgia alive while ensuring your product is being used. I also like your thoughts on player made content. Landmark is all about player content so I'm really hoping to see this pushed.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I always enjoyed the run and become so frustrated when people want to take this part out of the game. I really thought EQ had it right. Early on, you just had to deal, and eventually it became a profession or means of community to offer travel. I know it isn't going to happen but I hope there is no queuing at all. I hope that there is no summoning players clear across the world unless it is something of a spell with a huge cost. I know people disagree but to me, travel is as much part of the game as leveling in a dungeon in terms of the game "experience".
Porting from dungeon entrance to group was best because often when one member had to leave, the group disintegrated because nobody wanted to wait for the replacement to get there on their own or fight back up and risk losing the position anyway.

ps: I always ran because I was a cheapskate and refused to pay for a banker or porter or for buffs

xelene_sl

shitlord
Just reminiscing, way back when I had a Barbie Shaman and at 9 or 14 or whenever it was you got SoW I made a few coppers running a Caravan between Qeynos and Freeport, you could shout outside the gates of the city and have a gaggle of half naked newbs lined up for the long scary run pretty sharpish. Different times.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interesting apparently for going to the 2014 soe live I got access to both the new expansions for eq1 and eq2. May wind up having to install eq2 again just to take a look at the game been years since I last logged into it.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
This game will never come out confirmed.David Georgeson on Twitter:

I'm not surprised they don't want to blueprint anything EQN related. Landmark's technical issues run deep and I can't imagine a game using it as a foundation and populating it with mobs that aren't stationary or floating. Clipping is horrendous, it runs like crap and voxels have a long way to go before they stop looking like shit from a distance.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Not even close to true. The team is finishing Landmark, and there is no point in even discussing EQ Next until Landmark is done. That's the point of Dave's post. How the game runs is very dependent upon your system. My work system (admittedly VERY good) runs the game extremely well. The voxel LOD issues are one of their top priorities for sure. I have faith though.. the guys in charge of the engineering side are crazy smart.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Not even close to true. The team is finishing Landmark, and there is no point in even discussing EQ Next until Landmark is done. That's the point of Dave's post. How the game runs is very dependent upon your system. My work system (admittedly VERY good) runs the game extremely well. The voxel LOD issues are one of their top priorities for sure. I have faith though.. the guys in charge of the engineering side are crazy smart.
The never thing was a joke, but the technical issues are not. I've got a nice and beefy rig and it doesn't run great at all.

The terrain is also super jittery, there are absolutely clipping issues and falling through the world happens all the time.

So what wasn't close to true? I want this game to be great, I'm just being honest.

Edit: rough specs
7970 ghz
8gb ram
Ivy bridge 3770k

Runs Planetside 2 like a dream.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I Don't want to be mean, but don't you work for SoE? So you have to say good things about them :p

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I pulled consistent 30fps on Max settings with a 780 and an over clocked 2600k. 40-50 if was in a low claim density area.

Any build with microvoxels pretty much ground my rig into the dirt, though.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
In the open nothing yeah, I get rock solid frame rates. But in a game built of voxels, it's important to make sure shit doesn't bottom out when you encounter a building or two.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
EQN should be able to run better than landmark because I think the structure types will be static, you wont have people building there own stuff just using prebuilt SOE stuff. That should let them use alot more tricks to up performance like having city buildings be non-voxel versions if they are indestructible or even if a building in the wild is destructible they could have a undamaged non-voxel version of it that loads and then it replaced on the fly with the voxel version if someone starts to bust down the walls. Doing that type of stuff would probably help them a ton on the LOD front too, and let them handle what your client sees a bit more dynamically to reduce lag.

I just really don't worry because when I play EQNL I see the absolute worst case scenario for EQN lag, tons of custom structures and zero optimization, and I just don't think EQN will have to deal with those issues as much.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
By the time EQN launches I'm sure it'll be better optimized but the SOE combat and siege demo looked really rough and I'm sure they were using some monster rigs.

iannis

Musty Nester
While that's probably true, creslin, it also makes EQN sound one hell of a lot less interesting.

I'm starting to wonder, I mean legit wonder, if there are any programmers left in this industry that -could- write a stable engine anymore. Actual engineers. Maybe those guys have moved on to more reliable work? Between the pressure from above for quick production and the complete lack of pressure from below for optimization... anyone who ever actually gave a shit has moved on to writing stock trackers/online service applications for retailers?

I dunno. It just seems like there's been a real brain-drain for the nuts and bolts part of the industry. It is entirely possible however that No, it is thechildrenexecutives who are wrong.

I just read stuff like this about EQ:Voxels and I read stuff about the assassins creed retardation and it seems like... maybe there's just no one around that really knows how to make itgoanymore.

Vitality

HUSTLE
While that's probably true, creslin, it also makes EQN sound one hell of a lot less interesting.

I'm starting to wonder, I mean legit wonder, if there are any programmers left in this industry that -could- write a stable engine anymore. Actual engineers. Maybe those guys have moved on to more reliable work? Between the pressure from above for quick production and the complete lack of pressure from below for optimization... anyone who ever actually gave a shit has moved on to writing stock trackers/online service applications for retailers?

I dunno. It just seems like there's been a real brain-drain for the nuts and bolts part of the industry. It is entirely possible however that No, it is thechildrenexecutives who are wrong.

I just read stuff like this about EQ:Voxels and I read stuff about the assassins creed retardation and it seems like... maybe there's just no one around that really knows how to make itgoanymore.
I feel like Utnayan has something to say about exactly this, where the fuck has he been?

Something along the lines of the old dogs at the top shitting on new improved talent.

I sincerely doubt Butler, Georgeson and Smed have a clue how any of the real work it takes to get engines done. They sure know how to run other peoples talent through the meat grinder though.

the workshop/competition videos are very insightful. their iterative process with the worshops really shows through in player builds. the recent kerran winners' entries are stunning, let alone that it was done with voxels. eqn, if nothing else, will be interesting just to see the player's creations. compare the initial dark elf builds to the kerrans, it's night and day. despite the somewhat limited scope of the style guides, the playersmhave gone off and created alot of variations. with each building being unique to each creator, cities will be less visually repeated.

static things, however, get dull quickly. and so, i hope that when they import player assets into eqn, that they will allow the creator to edit (with approval) ingame to change over time. moreover, i hope building will play as big a factor in game as, say, combat.