EQ Never

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wanting a good game and expecting this game to be good are two entirely different things at this point.

Astaire_sl

shitlord
As soon as they started entertaining ninjas as a class and the morons over on Reddit ate it up I began wishing for it to fail.

It's not the EQ I want.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Just as some said they want EQN to fail, I would really like to see Trion fall right on it's ass honestly. At least DBG is trying something different and not just on a small scale. Outside of Rift they've been shit overall and that's WITH Hartsman at the helm. I can only imagine where they'd be without him. Since his return there hasn't been anything noteworthy looking from the outside and that copycatting bullshit Trove really needs to die. Low cost, no-risk uninspired nonsense like that game should not be rewarded.

Wishing for a Rift2... I just don't see it when Rift one was only just an okay game at best in the first place to most people it seems. The story was forgettable, it was built on that Gamebryo engine, the PvP was zzz and everything decent got dumbed down as they went along. Not sure why anyone would want to make the videogame equivalent ofLook Who's TalkingII.

We won't see anymore MMOs from Trion, at least ones they make since it looks like they have no brains left. For them it looks like it's all about publishing foreign and indie games that they can say"What? Problems? Well take it up with those guys, we didn't make the game. We just run the cash shops."
That sums up current Rift pretty well. I did have some fun with PvP back in the day, there were rivalries, some open world PvP, but such a high % of their playerbase played rogues, that new rogue souls were often blatantly OP, and they removed the only stealth detection ability in the game. PvP was also gutted more and more each 'expansion', with the last straw making raiding pretty much mandatory to be on top of your PvP game.

Back on topic, I hope EQNext succeeds for what it's trying to accomplish. I like the achievement tie in, it was one of the few things I liked in LOTRO: small stat bonuses for exploring, and completing challenges.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
As soon as they started entertaining ninjas as a class and the morons over on Reddit ate it up I began wishing for it to fail.

It's not the EQ I want.
It really has nothing to do with Eq AT ALL. They easily could have created a new IP for it, which they pretty much are by redoing every fucking thing. They decided to create a quick buzz on the name and get a bunch of attention and it has backfired in a lot of ways.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I dont have high hopes, but actively hoping for this to fail is spiteful stupidity.

We NEED something to prove that you can be successful breaking the WoW mold, and we need it soon. If we don't get it we're doomed to watch the MMO-space wither into nothingness.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I dont have high hopes, but actively hoping for this to fail is spiteful stupidity.

We NEED something to prove that you can be successful breaking the WoW mold, and we need it soon. If we don't get it we're doomed to watch the MMO-space wither into nothingness.
Why would I want a game concept I like even less than WoW to succeed? So I can live through years of clones of this shit pile? No thanks.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Why would I want a game concept I like even less than WoW to succeed? So I can live through years of clones of this shit pile? No thanks.
Because its my personal belief that EQNext being moderately successful (the best it can hope for, imho) won't spawn a million clone. It will allow developers to stretch their creative wings and we'll see some very unique and different designs come out.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We were calling it vaporware before the company takeover and layoffs, now all of a sudden it's the pivotal foundation for the new generation of innovation? WTF are you guys smoking.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
People wanting it to fail are too emotionally invested in the genre. EQN won't prove a point either way. The MMO landscape is at the point that developers and publishers don't know what to do or what the next big thing is so they're just throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks. Destructible worlds are in, chasing the dream of having constantly evolving worlds is in and UGC is sort of the backbone to all that. Nothing has proven that as a good concept but the industry is sort of like those fish that all dash and dodge in one fluid motion as they each get ripped to shreds slowly.