EQ Never

Sumi_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_101668.jpg

Mark Kern...had West Coast Customs make this while they were in Alpha? Lol.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Mark Kern talks about the problems of MMOs. Then this is the review of his final product.http://www.wired.com/2014/08/firefall/

The exact problems he mentions...are then part of his standard gaming package. Sounds like another jackass who just likes to hear himself talk and tries to milk the 'stupid' consumers. Or Brad but from WoW.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea. He was the guy building that one zone on twitch. He built seb in eq. He's a good dude and a good dev. I'm glad he's doing well

Siliconemelons

I seriously want to know their rock bottom price on licensing all EQ->POP Lore and IP and kickstarting a game. Have it based off of whatever the current D&D ruleset is just like EQ was "mostly" based off of 2.5? etc.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Can't be much. Though how much can the EQ brand bring in this day in age when the "franchise" has released anything significant in over a decade.

Who would want it outside a small indie studio doing a pet project. You're probably better off just making up your own.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I'd be foaming at the mouth just to get a game where each race has their own capital city. Fuck. we had it 15 years ago but now it's too expensive. Shit industry is shit.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Part of the pitch to investors prior to SOE selling was the eq franchise and the emotional attachment it had to players. That wasn't the sole reason the money was raised but it was used in the pitch.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
They had to have tip-toed about EQ's market share quite a bit, I would imagine. Not to mention that the "emotional attachment" is fairly limited to a group of, at most, 100k accounts, though I would hazard that is quite a bit smaller. A large portion of that userbase are the people who multibox cockblock spawns on the progression servers, so not exactly the poster children of an IP with future growth potential.

melancholie

Trakanon Raider
There is no more emotional atachment group. Most were converted to WoW and have a far greater loyalty there now. The remainder, like myself, were alienated and cast aside by Smedley and Polesmoker, as we watched sebilis, guk, velious, etc becomes utter shells of themselves in their reimaginings, and the slow steady march toward f2p and nickel and diming killed off the rest. The only emotional attchment players left are those that play housing decorators.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Mark Kern talks about the problems of MMOs. Then this is the review of his final product.http://www.wired.com/2014/08/firefall/

The exact problems he mentions...are then part of his standard gaming package. Sounds like another jackass who just likes to hear himself talk and tries to milk the 'stupid' consumers. Or Brad but from WoW.
I don't get the Brad comparison here. Brad's games had incredible designs, not shit. The game you linked had shit designs up front. Of course, Brad's world has its own problems but not design level issues.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Can't be much. Though how much can the EQ brand bring in this day in age when the "franchise" has released anything significant in over a decade.

Who would want it outside a small indie studio doing a pet project. You're probably better off just making up your own.
Yes, the definitely squandered a valuable brand-IP.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I'd be foaming at the mouth just to get a game where each race has their own capital city. Fuck. we had it 15 years ago but now it's too expensive. Shit industry is shit.
A four year old could do the art for in game everquest so I imagine it IS a lot more expensive when professional artists are required. Joking aside art teams by themselves are probably bigger than the entire ever quest team for major studios.

Edit: and Shoo Shoo Gains Goblin!

Felmega_sl

shitlord
There is still sales power in the name Everquest. There is still opportunity to keep to keep the 'franchise' going. The SoE devs really messed up by not having a quality and fun MMO ready to release right now. As I see it, the market is barren and hungry at this moment in time.

EQN should have been ready by now.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The Everquest name has no sales power to a broader online audience. Regardless of its place in history, there is no marketing power in its name. You can't even show the game in an ad because it's so dated.