EQ Never

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jesus the thought of 72 people typing to each other with no voice communication. Now I remember all the channels we had and shit for private/class discussion.

The complete heal spam was always captivating.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Jesus the thought of 72 people typing to each other with no voice communication. Now I remember all the channels we had and shit for private/class discussion.

I was responsible for the healer group for years and it was so much fun working the channels, suggesting how the spam should look, timing, etc. I think it's an element that will be missed by some but is a completely foreign idea to many. We had Ventrillo later but there's no better way to really coordinate how everything worked but through text channels. It was comical at time how it empowered people though. I guess some people had never felt more important than they did when leading some of that stuff. We had some real militaristic guys comes through and some super nice guys. Either way, it was really about how many targets you could take down in a night effectively, efficiently, and with minimal deaths and/or setup time.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, GoD pretty much made me quit EQ. I came back for a little while when OOW came out, but by then I was so far behind in gear and levels, I just said "fuck it" and moved on to WoW. Those two expansions definitely put the nail in the coffin for EQ.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, GoD pretty much made me quit EQ. I came back for a little while when OOW came out, but by then I was so far behind in gear and levels, I just said "fuck it" and moved on to WoW. Those two expansions definitely put the nail in the coffin for EQ.
That was really my end too. Except I went to EQII after WoW just didn't feel or look right to me. WoW ended up being the better game but i'll give EQII some credit in doing several things right, though covered in crap, and the Nagafen Server was really some of the most enjoyable moments in my MMO career. There was a fairly toxic community but a lot of good people that reminded me of my time on Lanys T'vl.

It's really a shame that EQ is not, at least in all appearances, not going to open another chapter. I really wish they would pick a time from EQ1 and give us a sequel to that event. I personally believe you could do something with the Sleeper and/or PoP and Zeb. I really liked EQ lore up through PoP but lost interest after that...

Djay

Trakanon Raider

I was just thinking about this the other day and have no idea how I did it. I had guild chat, group chat, the main raid chat, paladin chat, tank chat, leader chat, cc chat, and healer chat all coming at me at once while I was also typing out instructions and responding to people asking for buffs. I've never needed to, but I've flirted with the idea of putting on my resume that I was in charge of leading a 72-person team 7 nights per week. I actually did put something like that when I was briefly working in the game industry.

I think voice communication was one reason I never got into raiding in WoW...not only did I not want to be talking all night, but I didn't want to hear other people talking either.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I was just thinking about this the other day and have no idea how I did it. I had guild chat, group chat, the main raid chat, paladin chat, tank chat, leader chat, cc chat, and healer chat all coming at me at once while I was also typing out instructions and responding to people asking for buffs. I've never needed to, but I've flirted with the idea of putting on my resume that I was in charge of leading a 72-person team 7 nights per week. I actually did put something like that when I was briefly working in the game industry.

I think voice communication was one reason I never got into raiding in WoW...not only did I not want to be talking all night, but I didn't want to hear other people talking either.
Voice chat makes raiding SO much easier, but it also makes you dislike people you would otherwise be fine with because they are annoying twats.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I ran entire raids through chat, and I would never have it any other way.
Bunch of god damn newbies. Way back we didn't have the user creatable chat channels as we know them today. I distinctly remember ToV raids where one guild would use ooc, the other use auction, or whatever.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Epic quests were a good draw to keep people coming back to older content, but places like Velious & Luclin were ghost towns except for people farming items for alt accounts. That is just the way MMO's are. I have yet to play one that people continue to use the old world when new expansions come out. There is no progression to be made there, so there is no point.

From a developer standpoint, Elidroth even said that they felt the need to create and open new worlds, otherwise people wouldn't buy their expansions. /shrug

I think PoP was one of the best expansions for a couple reasons. The convoluted Flagging system aside, PoP provided an amazing path of progression. The zone tiers, the armor quests, the spell parchments... they just nailed it. Next, it was a serious challenge. You had to have a large, max level guild, filled with a deep-roster of classes and talent. Finally and most importantly, the zones were an MMO masterpiece. The atmospheres were amazing, the music was a grand slam. You take gods that are known for one thing and you formulate a fully realized vision around it. It is simple and the pulled it off beautifully. The gods were truly legendary in EQ lore and they delivered on the epic, grand-scale everyone was hoping for.
The FF games actually did an awesome job at keeping people around the old world. Between the daily dungeons for bonus and the any class on one character motto, even now the game feels alive in any zone. Also epic quests have you running back into the original world all the time. This class thing needs to be seriously taken for every future MMO. I just don't get the resistance. One character, one name, one friend list, one guild.....I just can just play different things.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Bunch of god damn newbies. Way back we didn't have the user creatable chat channels as we know them today. I distinctly remember ToV raids where one guild would use ooc, the other use auction, or whatever.
And then others guild intentionally spamming the channel you were using just to fuck with people. It was probably the most fun (in a game) that i never want to have again.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider

It's a fucking gamble. For every normal dude, there's a whiney nerd or backwater hillbilly. Also, every girl you meet online will have the same annoying fucking laugh. And they're all bad. Like stand in fire bad.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And then others guild intentionally spamming the channel you were using just to fuck with people. It was probably the most fun (in a game) that i never want to have again.
The best were healers who piped RP-shit into the chat channels macro'd to their spells.

Every fucking female wood-elf druid in the game.

kaxfenix

N00b
As a Tank when I would See. the Blessings of Tunare bind your wounds when I got healed.. I knew I had a good healer.. SO true. !

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yup. From 35wpm hunt and peck in high school to 90wpm home row while running around ToV trying to explain wtf is incoming from muscle memory as I was staring at the floor to not lag out when I saw the raid.

">>>>> %t <<<<< incoming! Repeated for adds!"

Juice_sl

shitlord
Yup. From 35wpm hunt and peck in high school to 90wpm home row while running around ToV trying to explain wtf is incoming from muscle memory as I was staring at the floor to not lag out when I saw the raid.
When I moved in high school (after a year or two of EQ) my new school had a keyboarding class requirement. I asked if I could test out and the teacher told me it wasn't optional, but after our initial WPM test on the first day she made me her aide.

Also, hey Rezz... Druzzilboys! - Lothaine

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I had something similar where my first school didn't have a requirement, but when I switched schools my senior year I was required to complete a keyboarding class. After spending a few classes trying to type using the home row like we were being taught, I just ignored everything and typed like I had taught myself over the years. I can type %t without looking at the keyboard, but don't ask me to find the brackets (although I got better at that once I started programming, too). Still don't type like other people, but it works.