EQ Never

Discussion in 'MMORPG General Discussion' started by Convo, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Cerzi Member

Cerzi
    Ratings:
    +1
    Was referring to the text that accompanied each map, not the map itself.

2. Rezz Registered Orca
    DONOR

Rezz
    Ratings:
    +367
    I think it was mostly an extension of already existing comfort in welcoming people. The gregarious folk were gregarious in their welcomes, and the people who were anti-social didn't welcome anyone. I think I started every group with "Heyo" followed by "I pull things, and then tank them. Don't heal me until the tanking portion!" and if they were dps I just said "Heyo!" and similar.

3. SUPER DONOR

Sylas
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    So with this thing deader than dead and all this eq nostalgia going on, I found myself reminiscing about the early days of EQ. spring 1999, being like level 21, sitting around shooting the shit with my group while grinding treant's for exp to level up.

I was reminded of this cus it's spring 2016 and i'm still sitting around shooting the shit with my group while grinding treant's for exp to level up.

Except the game is Black Desert, the closest thing to EQ3 or Vanguard 2 that will ever exist (probably).

Of course there's modern changes from 99 til now. Instead of typing in group chat i'm talking on voice comms. If i'm a melee I can solo now, when I couldn't back then, but being a ranged class is still significantly better at it. Mobs die faster now but there's an order of magnitude more of them, the end result is the same. In any decent group either in original EQ or modern BD you are constantly fighting anyways, the challenge then and the challenge now is efficiency and staying on top of respawns. Oh and trying not to die, because losing exp sucks. Oh and remember hell levels? Black Desert does.

4. Fight Well-Known Member

Fight
    Ratings:
    +479
  5. Hmerly Member

Hmerly
    Ratings:
    +0
    Except for the little fact that in BDO you don't have to group or do anything with another person. You could play it as a single player game and it'd work fine. However, it is fun in groups. I think its a good mix and I guess as you say more modern a system. Still like the old EQ dungeon crawl/camp though. BDO so needs some real dungeons.

6. Spynx_sl shitlord

Spynx_sl
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you heard about pantheon rise of the fallen?

7. JarekStorm_sl shitlord

JarekStorm_sl
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Have you heard the good news brother? He is risen!"

Strangely similar.

8. Itzena_sl shitlord

Itzena_sl
    Ratings:
    +3
    Except the Second Coming is more likely to happen.[​IMG]

9. Muligan Well-Known Member

Muligan
    Ratings:
    +187
    Maybe i'm late coming to this but have any of you watched this...? Nothing really new here but it's still pretty funny.

10. Vinyard_sl shitlord

Vinyard_sl
    Ratings:
    +4
    "Pantheon Guild Names" on the guys desktop lol

Good video tho. I knew it never existed, but this is some good proof they were just setting money on fire

11. zzeris Intemperate Shitposter
    DONOR

zzeris
    Ratings:
    +4,468
    Makes a lot of sense. It was a shell game as a company that didn't have good leadership, tried to push for relevance again.

12. Blitz Well-Known Member

Blitz
    Ratings:
    +212
    So is there any way to get my $60 back for that abortion? Or them "releasing" Landmark allows them to avoid that?

Company is a fucking joke, no surprise there.

13. Vinyard_sl shitlord

Vinyard_sl
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the only time to get a refund was when Smed offered them. He did offer them for this shit "game", right? Technically, releasing Landmark in any state, fulfills their end of the bargain.

14. JarekStorm_sl shitlord

JarekStorm_sl
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just now came here to post this link. Pretty obvious EQN was never being properly developed, Landmark money went to pay for H1Z1 most likely, with Landmark player's creations being used in videos to further the deception. Fucking hell.

15. Mughal Active Member

Mughal
    Ratings:
    +39
    This guy really can't conceive that the EQN code might have branched into Landmark so there is a lot of old garbage there, and that some features were merged into the old branch as well.

edit: Also the decision to publish Landmark was not driven to sell something to players. It was done to show that SOE had a pipeline of products so it would be more attractive to prospective buyers (and Sony was really annoyed at them losing so much money and they wanted a game out asap). compared to what SOE was burning in payroll and stupid shit the Landmark revenues were negligible.

16. Quaid Well-Known Member

Quaid
    Ratings:
    +1,719
    They sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 founders packs. The overwhelming majority of which were the $100 pack.

17. Itzena_sl shitlord

Itzena_sl
    Ratings:
    +3
    Treat it as an object lesson in how not to be a retard.

18. Fight Well-Known Member

Fight
    Ratings:
    +479
    What these guys are uncovering as a revelation, was my assumption all along. But then again, I wasn't following the bullshit spouted by Ponytail or minutia of details all that closely either. I gave zero fucks about Landmark, what it was or what they said it was to be.

Honestly, I was probably out on the game after they should the Lion King character model and his Disney princess. It was World of Minecraft, a Disney production. Nothing, absolutely nothing about it passed the EQ smell test.

EQ wasn't Sony and Sony never cared a thing about EQ other than how much money they could ring out of it. It is clear they knew nothing about the world or the brand. 989 Studios/Verant and the core of people they had working for them at the time are EQ.

19. Lenas Tread Lightly
    DONOR

Lenas
    Ratings:
    +550
    No shit they built the EQN demo within Landmark, its not like Landmark was advertised as the dev kit for the game or anything. I feel sorry for anyone that spent 28 minutes watching that.

20. Letsinod Member

Letsinod
    Ratings:
    +0