EQ Never

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just feel like VR, however "cool" it would be just hasnt came to the point we need it to be at yet. I hate to be a naysayer because I like VR and think I would really enjoy it. But a headset just isnt the way I think we'll have VR and it seems like every company is trying to force the headset into being the only option.

I dont think we have but the slightest idea of how VR will work when we are finally immersed into a world. For instance, I think the technology used in cutting edge handicap limbs and fingers is actually our closest link to Sword Art Online. Putting on a headset and waving my arms around physically just doesnt seem like what a lot of people are going to want to do in their living rooms.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Right now you need a high end PC(GTX 970 recommend minimum) and another 800 bucks to get in on VR. That's going to be a very tiny userbase for now, even when compared to early 3D accelerators.
You need a PS4 and a PSVR come Christmas time.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, we'll see how it well it does. As someone who plunked down money for a Vive, I want it all to take off. It's just very early to tell and, as far as the PC realm goes, there isn't much on the AAA end of development yet.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, preorders sold out pretty quickly. More than anything, I'm interested in seeing how good the PSVR really is. The display is worse than the other headsets(and that's probably my main complaint with the Vive already) and the PS4 is far weaker than a GTX 970, graphically. I have a PSVR preordered, but unless there are some compelling games announced, I don't see it getting used over the Vive.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
As long as the art styles of the games compliment the capabilities of the display, it should be fine. Attempts at hyper-realism will flop on PSVR.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Keep in mind that it seems like people pre-order things like this to resell them, not use them. Take pre-order frenzies with a grain of salt.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Agreed. Lots of resellers. Still, though, they are still buying them with intent to sell on release.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
playstationVR would have to suck really bad for there to be fewer than 2 million units sold in its first 12 months.

PS4 just crossed the 40 million units mark.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I love my PS4. I don't even have a windows PC. I keep a VM around for work and run OSX / Linux.

I'm not planning on buying PSVR because I don't think VR is there yet. Maybe I'm too skeptical but I've been burned by this kind of shit way too often. I'm not going to stand up and spin around waving my hands around like an idiot. I'm not going to do barrel rolls on the couch. I think people are drastically overestimating how popular this is going to be.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Much like people don't need to stand while using Wiimotes, you don't need to stand while using VR. You can design plenty of exceptional experiences if you look at it as an extension of the TV.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Every single thing for Oculus is currently made for seated experiences. That being said, the room scale stuff on the Vive is hands-down the coolest experience and one that you have to play to really understand how cool it is. I think VR will be huge in the near future, but it still has some growing to do.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Why the fuck are people under the impression you have to stand around flapping your arms like a moron to experience VR?

For most games you'll just be sitting on the couch with a controller like normal... But you'll also be wearing a helmet.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cause I guess we want more from our VR experience than just a TV strapped to our face. The Oculus knowing which way Im turning my head is a step in the right direction - but I want more than that. I get that we'll feel more immersed with our physical surroundings not in our view, but when Im playing a game and my thoughts directly impact what I do in the game.. Im sold.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why the fuck are people under the impression you have to stand around flapping your arms like a moron to experience VR?

For most games you'll just be sitting on the couch with a controller like normal... But you'll also be wearing a helmet.
Which is retarded. I'd immediately dismiss any friends I had if I walked in and they have a fucking helmet on to game. VR won't be cool until we can go in some holodeck together. As long as you have to sit there with a fucking trash-can on your head, cut off from the entire world, you'll be a mouthbreather.

Nija

<Silver Donator>

Have you used those 3d advertising videos on your phone? You know the one where you watch the super model get in the BMW and drive away and you try to follow which one it is?

That's what I picture it being. It's fucking dumb.

So you mean the vr experience is sitting on the couch and moving my head around? You mean it's exactly what I do right now?! Revolutionary!

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Cause I guess we want more from our VR experience than just a TV strapped to our face. The Oculus knowing which way Im turning my head is a step in the right direction - but I want more than that. I get that we'll feel more immersed with our physical surroundings not in our view, but when Im playing a game and my thoughts directly impact what I do in the game.. Im sold.
So VR helmets aren't compelling because the technology doesn't read your mind.

Sounds reasonable.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Which is retarded. I'd immediately dismiss any friends I had if I walked in and they have a fucking helmet on to game. VR won't be cool until we can go in some holodeck together. As long as you have to sit there with a fucking trash-can on your head, cut off from the entire world, you'll be a mouthbreather.
You must be a real chill dude IRL. You'd 'dismiss your friends immediately' for their choice of entertainment? Yikes.

I suggest you actually put one of these 'trash cans' on your head and give it a try before formulating an (absurd) opinion.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So VR helmets aren't compelling because the technology doesn't read your mind.

Sounds reasonable.
Lol exactly what thinking. When we get to the point of tech reading our brainwaves, conventional games as we know them will be dead.

Which is retarded. I'd immediately dismiss any friends I had if I walked in and they have a fucking helmet on to game.
The only thing I remember about you is building a bar with some taps, which was awesome, but you sound really fucking boring now.