EQ Never

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
You must be a real chill dude IRL. You'd 'dismiss your friends immediately' for their choice of entertainment? Yikes.

I suggest you actually put one of these 'trash cans' on your head and give it a try before formulating an (absurd) opinion.
I have tried it. As to if I am a cool dude or not that's not really something I can answer myself, ask people who know me.

But seriously, the kind of gaming where you put that crap on is a gimmick at best. It's neat to try at those virtual theme parks, or at a trade show, but it will not catch on for every day living room use. It just won't. Just like WoW sorta opening gaming to be something "normal", and everyone has a PS3/4 or Xbox-Whatever version is out. Gaming is mainstream.

But the VR helmet will not be. I'd put my money on it. It cuts you off from everything around you. It won't catch on until it's some holodeck thing or maybe more like an arcade where you go in a room and everyone has a helmet on and it feels like your in a true war or something. But sitting on the couch with the glasses on won't fly for people with family's, roommates, or friends hanging out over the house. Shit you can't even pick up your beer to take a sip while gaming like you can playing Madden or Mariokart. It just won't happen except for anyone but basement dwelling solo dudes.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Which is retarded. I'd immediately dismiss any friends I had if I walked in and they have a fucking helmet on to game. VR won't be cool until we can go in some holodeck together. As long as you have to sit there with a fucking trash-can on your head, cut off from the entire world, you'll be a mouthbreather.
Yeah, looking cool is a top priority when I'm having fun.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I will be honest, not being able to easily drink my beer/cocktail while in the Vive is my main complaint.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I Doubt I will ever get one, at least until the kids get bigger. I have to pop in and out of games all the time.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, looking cool is a top priority when I'm having fun.
It's not so much about looking cool, though my personal opinion is that someone sitting around with the helmet on is that they look stupid....it's about being completely cut off from the world around you. Which in my opinion is only acceptable in some type of arcade situation like I mentioned. Where everyone goes to the "VR" or "holodeck" thing, like going to paintball now. Only it's real war and when you get shot you get zapped or something.

Sitting in your living room or whatever with a helmet on is NOT social. So basically you are only doing it alone. You can't see your friends or family, probably can't hear them much or have a conversation because they mostly have built in headsets now, and can't interact with the very room you are sitting in. It will NEVER be a mainstream, home style way of gaming. It will always be reserved for uber gamers in hiding. That's just a fact I'd bet my money on.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not that I have much interest in VR but I don't get your point, how social are your gaming experiences? I typically play in a room by myself. How many people are sitting in their living room on a daily basis with a group of people gaming? And don't these things have mics so you can talk to other players? People will do all kinds of silly shit if they get entertainment from it. If these things draw people in, they will sell. Especially if you can create some quality first person dungeons with shit jumping out at you.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
The videos of dudes fucking with their friends while they have the helmet on are going to be hilarious.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Sitting in your living room or whatever with a helmet on is NOT social. So basically you are only doing it alone. You can't see your friends or family, probably can't hear them much or have a conversation because they mostly have built in headsets now, and can't interact with the very room you are sitting in. It will NEVER be a mainstream, home style way of gaming. It will always be reserved for uber gamers in hiding. That's just a fact I'd bet my money on.
Define mainstream? How many PSVR need to sell the first year to be considered mainstream to you? Will it be the main form of gaming? I doubt it. Will it be very popular, the more powerful and the more affordable it becomes? I definitely think so.

I've had tons of people over trying out the Vive and it's been a very social experience when you have a lot of people trying it and watching the person play on the big screen.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The whole 'it isn't social' thing doesn't make sense to me. I mean, when I'm gaming with bros on the couch it's not like I'm turning my head to look at them. I'm facing the screen, and all I need are my ears. Not to mention, 80%+ of my gaming takes place totally alone.

Once the technology evolves, your 'living room' will be irrelevant anyway. Between matches why even take your VR helmet off to 'see' your buddy? An image of you both could be captured by a camera, and projected into any environment you choose. A high-end penthouse? A strip club? The oval office? The bridge of the enterprise? The only limit there is your imagination.

Fuck your couch.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So VR helmets aren't compelling because the technology doesn't read your mind.

Sounds reasonable.
Have you seen some of the new stuff they have developed for handicap people? Disabled people that cant move or speak can have entire conversations through a computer now. They can control World of Warcraft characters. The technology is here and its only getting better. One of my buddies has been back for a couple months now and is spending a lot of time at the VA. Anytime I go with him, there are people there with absolutely incredible tech attached to them. There is this guy there that is part of a research project and he can control a robotic arm with fingers just by thinking about it. Give that stuff another 20 years, Im guessing?, and I think we'll start to see the same technology coming out for a true VR experience. Course you always have the holodeck idea or the Helmet in a VR Arcade to tide you over. Some of you are just getting butt hurt that our definition of VR is a little more advanced than Vive or similar though. tf

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'm not disagreeing that controlling shit with your mind would be just peachy. The issue is, as you state, it's decades away from being a consumer product. 'Holodecks' are even further out. I'll take a $500 VR helmet in the 20 year interim.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I'll enjoy the Vive and then I'll enjoy your mind-control advanced definition of VR when I'm 65 as well.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd love to have access to the launch day numbers. I feel like it's going to be 3 people maybe?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
pretty much, that's why I'm so curious to see if anyone pays that $10.

However you get in, the game will still have a cash shop at launch.
that's pretty funny too.. Just b/c you know when they were circle jerking about this amazing idea they had that turned into landmark, they most likely discussed a cash shop and putting the ease of life stuff behind a paywall. I'm really kind of glad this has all blown up in their face in a way. Just really dumb planning and implementation for project like this.