EQ Never

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Apple may be a large company but personal computing isn't the primary focus. Macs make up like 5-10% of the home computer (notice i can't even call them personal computers?) market and maybe 5% of those actually play games (via boot camp). Its like complaining that ford is a large company so why arent they designing the game to run on my touch screen navigation console in my new ford focus.

Edit: quoted wrong guy but whatev.
They make the vast majority of their money on Iphones and Ipads. Macs are really just a minor part of their company now

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From what I'm hearing the world is quite large, segmented into big provinces, and many dungeons (mini dungeons or whatever they are calling them) are in fact, open world.

But hey, Planetside 2 has multiple servers, so maybe I'm super wrong.
The main issue is it's just not realistic to create a mega server for a fantasy land based IP without a ton of instancing (phasing or overflow) of some sort. You can't fit that many players into a zone even with todays hardware. So they have to be spread out over a huge world full of hundreds of zones.

Zones take a lot of dev resources to make, even SWTOR with all the money it had didn't have the budget for that kind of effort.

Mega servers for any land based mmo (not in empty space) are only possible with extensive instancing. Not sure how TESO is doing it but you can be assured that they have put in place heavy instancing in zones that will see a lot of traffic. Starting zones, popular dungeons, cities and the like.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
lol @ his most recent tweet.
Anyone is bored go thru his tweets. Pretty epic stuff. He heckles Ultimate Warrior,Justin Beeber and Miley Cryus a lot lol. Guy is a legend!

Anyway.. back to EQN.. I wonder how many of the Devs are here after that reddit leak?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Anyone is bored go thru his tweets. Pretty epic stuff. He heckles Ultimate Warrior,Justin Beeber and Miley Cryus a lot lol. Guy is a legend!

Anyway.. back to EQN.. I wonder how many of the Devs are here after that reddit leak?
So was the person that posted it on reddit? Fess up?!

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The main issue is it's just not realistic to create a mega server for a fantasy land based IP without a ton of instancing (phasing or overflow) of some sort. You can't fit that many players into a zone even with todays hardware. So they have to be spread out over a huge world full of hundreds of zones.

Zones take a lot of dev resources to make, even SWTOR with all the money it had didn't have the budget for that kind of effort.

Mega servers for any land based mmo (not in empty space) are only possible with extensive instancing. Not sure how TESO is doing it but you can be assured that they have put in place heavy instancing in zones that will see a lot of traffic. Starting zones, popular dungeons, cities and the like.
Read up on how TESO is doing it. You are pretty much correct, but with a few nuances.

iannis

Musty Nester
What's even the point of reddit if you can have private subreddits.

Pft. Like that's even a real thing.