EQ Never

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Any free or cheap tool set is going to be generations old.
And modern tools aren't extremely expensive either. A 3DS license is less than 2 months of your artists' wages, taxes and the rest. Over the time needed for a MMO, the tool costs are a minor part.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
There are plenty ideas. Which ones are you concerned about specifically? I know a lot of the camping talk has been exhausted on here. Personally I'm ok with guild crest being keyed for encounters. A lot of the other camps were optional gear that made your class better but was not required. I don't see why that should change in anyway. I loved my Jboots but I would of been fine without them and played with plenty of Wizards that either did not have them or paid for them. There were options for a lot of EQ. People just don't want to work at all for anything.
So... EQ just with better graphics?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
And modern tools aren't extremely expensive either. A 3DS license is less than 2 months of your artists' wages, taxes and the rest. Over the time needed for a MMO, the tool costs are a minor part.
Sure, but that's not the only piece of software you need for game development. Server architecture, database software, billing software etc. etc. etc.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lets play with numbers... etc.
Yep, I agree Draegan. And the reasons you gave against are exactly the reasons why investors have refused to back even the possibility of a EQ1 clone. Whatever market there is is too niche in their eyes, and they want to maximise their return. And that is why I have continued to say that any modern EQ1 game has to consider those issues along with all the innovations that have happened since EQ1.

But again. If someone wants to actually try to make a EQ1 clone then the two paths I listed are it's only hope imo. And that aint much to hang your hat on.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I think we can all agree that the people who want a shiny eq are wrong. Look how successful EQ1s graphic update was to those people. Every fucking one of them talks about how shit it is. Simple fact is, you guys want a nastalgia, and nastalgia is something that gets old for most people real fast. Sure its neat to look back here and then, but when you played eq1 for the first time, it wasn't nastalgia that kept you interested.

That said, the people arguing for something new have a good point. The people who want wow are gonna play wow. I really hope to see EQnext turn into something that is most definitely not wow. It would be utterly impossible for me to care less about preserving old features of the preceeding EQs into this version. I'd really like to see a game that breaks the horrifying repetition that all modern fantasy mmos have become, and gives something new to the fans. Thats the only way you are going to ACTUALLY recreate the EQ1 Experience.

I really fail to see how a MMO that doesn't focus on a ton of voice over work, uses an established in house engine, have experienced staff already on the pay roll would cost over 75mil to make.

So If eq next would sell between 1 - 2 million boxes, and have at least 500k sub retention Its making a profit. Is it 10 million subs? No, it doesn't have to be. Its profitable, bottom line right?
I'm glad at least one person got it :p

Qwerty, how many hours of xp would you lose in your version of EQnext upon death?
Just like EQ. And in EQ, it's not really hours unless you were screwing around for hours killing slowly, solo. With a good group you can recover from a death in about half an hour or so. It does get harsher in the higher levels, but by then you should care less about dying anyway. It's not a race.

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Every time I see the EQNEXT thread at the top of MMORPG I get excited thinking I'm about to see some screenshots and new information. Fool me once shame on you but fool me for the last year and a half well...fuck

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I think we can all agree that the people who want a shiny eq are wrong. Look how successful EQ1s graphic update was to those people. Every fucking one of them talks about how shit it is. Simple fact is, you guys want a nastalgia, and nastalgia is something that gets old for most people real fast. Sure its neat to look back here and then, but when you played eq1 for the first time, it wasn't nastalgia that kept you interested.

That said, the people arguing for something new have a good point. The people who want wow are gonna play wow. I really hope to see EQnext turn into something that is most definitely not wow. It would be utterly impossible for me to care less about preserving old features of the preceeding EQs into this version. I'd really like to see a game that breaks the horrifying repetition that all modern fantasy mmos have become, and gives something new to the fans. Thats the only way you are going to ACTUALLY recreate the EQ1 Experience.
Any MMORPG at this point that tries something new is worth playing for at least a month.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sure, but that's not the only piece of software you need for game development. Server architecture, database software, billing software etc. etc. etc.
All of which get easier to use every year and require less manpower. That was my original point.

I can see the path to a EQ1 clone but the cliffs you need to navigate to climb that mountain I see as very improbable, and you see as impossible.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Christ; barring Smedly actually releasing some new info in the near-ish future, we really need to come up with some new hypothetical game design elements to theorycraft about for a few months. We've been basically having the same two conversations here over and over for the last year:

"No MMO can be f2p without being ruined by it"
"Sure it can, if it's done right"
"No it can't"

And

"If they would just make an updated EQ1, it would be awesome and successful"
"There's not a big enough customer base for that"
"There is if they go niche"

And on and on and on and on and on and on and on...

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
All of which get easier to use every year and require less manpower. That was my original point.

I can see the path to a EQ1 clone but the cliffs you need to navigate to climb that mountain I see as very improbable, and you see as impossible.
Yeah, but the more piecemeal you make your game without customizing it, the shittier the game becomes. If you want a decent game and not some cheapo game, you really need to do some hard work to make all the pieces talk to each other appropriately. Otherwise it's just a mess or a hack job. Unless you're making a game meant to host 30 people at once like old school muds, you're going to have a hard time getting all those pieces to work flawlessly in a game with multiple servers and 100s of thousands of people.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
What I don't get or understand is how can people say a modern EQ won't sell. Everything sells these days. Gamers buy all sorts of shit good or not. A modern EQ is guaranteed at least a million box sales minimum. The argument is where will the sub numbers fall. I mean, do you think games like AoC, Tera, Aion etc can sell a million boxes but SoE can't? Lets be real here. They can.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So... EQ just with better graphics?
I think there are lot of features that could be evolved.. so no.. not just EQ with better graphics. You could say VG with better performance too. But you didn't really answer anything.. Everything else has just been WoW so I'm not quite seeing your point.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Vanguard lacked distribution and promotion (probably because of the unpolished state of the game but more probably due to the fact that it has been a sore point of SOE until recently)
You're giving SOE credit calling their marketing a sore point. It's been downright abysmal. I know you say you work there and have to cover your ass, but try to keep it real here.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Christ; barring Smedly actually releasing some new info in the near-ish future, we really need to come up with some new hypothetical game design elements to theorycraft about for a few months. We've been basically having the same two conversations here over and over for the last year:

"No MMO can be f2p without being ruined by it"
"Sure it can, if it's done right"
"No it can't"

And

"If they would just make an updated EQ1, it would be awesome and successful"
"There's not a big enough customer base for that"
"There is if they go niche"

And on and on and on and on and on and on and on...
I think we just need to figure out how EvE and Minecraft fit into the EQ universe. That's going to be the game we get. A lot of us just want to know basic info at this point.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
SOE doesn't even try to sell the MMO division. ZERO effort. WOW on the other hand is everywhere you look with every celebrity under the sun. Adds, internet, television, magazines. SOE knows how to advertise, they just don't care if it's not related to the PS3. Shame, given the same resources, EQ, EQ2 and Vanguard could easily double their subs.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
What I don't get or understand is how can people say a modern EQ won't sell. Everything sells these days. Gamers buy all sorts of shit good or not. A modern EQ is guaranteed at least a million box sales minimum. The argument is where will the sub numbers fall. I mean, do you think games like AoC, Tera, Aion etc can sell a million boxes but SoE can't? Lets be real here. They can.
If it's Sony making a modern EQ with all the modern systems that have made their way into today's MMORPGs plus whatever additional new stuff they bring (if any) will sell anywhere from 600-850k boxes for sure with decent marketing.

However, I'm willing to put a little money on EQN being F2P right off the bat without having to buy a box so you would never know it's success that way. They're done doing subscriptions.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, but the more piecemeal you make your game without customizing it, the shittier the game becomes. If you want a decent game and not some cheapo game, you really need to do some hard work to make all the pieces talk to each other appropriately. Otherwise it's just a mess or a hack job. Unless you're making a game meant to host 30 people at once like old school muds, you're going to have a hard time getting all those pieces to work flawlessly in a game with multiple servers and 100s of thousands of people.
Of course, that goes without saying.

I think everyone who is asking, wants a EQ1 clone that is a full fledged mmo with the old school rules and the new school look. Which you see as being impossible.

Personally, I would rather just have the sense of danger EQ1 had, some of the classes (sk's, monks, chanters etc), pull mechanics, and some of the other more unforgiving aspects of EQ1 while making the rest new and fresh. I'm not married to the old EQ1 nostalgia trip, but if someone actually made it, I would gladly play it.

SOE doesn't even try to sell the MMO division. ZERO effort. WOW on the other hand is everywhere you look with every celebrity under the sun. Adds, internet, television, magazines. SOE knows how to advertise, they just don't care if it's not related to the PS3. Shame, given the same resources, EQ, EQ2 and Vanguard could easily double their subs.
I think they can do it when they want to, they just don't care about promoting those old games. But Planetside 2 got marketed pretty well. And by that I mean, they paid off the right people.

An example:
http://www.pcgamer.com/

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're giving SOE credit calling their marketing a sore point. It's been downright abysmal. I know you say you work there and have to cover your ass, but try to keep it real here.
This. I had no clue about EQ live until late 2000. My brother went to Florida to visit his Gf's brother. Her brother had been playing it from launch, brother got hooked on it messing around with it down there. He came back, and introduced me to it.

Never saw a tv add, a display at our local Comp USA, or anywhere for that matter.