EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
20,000 years of history controlling placement of poi in the procedural content. Dig in karanas different from digging in north qeymos

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Jesus Draegen, I hope you didn't turn off the raptor fences too. Just now finally able to connect here. Re-reading this but watched the reveal after hitting balls on the range. I imagine I'm in for a treat.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
20,000 years of history controlling placement of poi in the procedural content. Dig in karanas different from digging in north qeymos
Are the POI's ALSO procedural? Or are they static and the procedural stuff is built around them? Can the POI locations change when the land "resets"?

Fuck, why aren't they streaming the panels.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I just don't understand why we can't have a truly massively online multiplayer world that's both consistent and difficult in its rules and mechanics for players. Do I have to wait another decade for this? Will it ever come? Will all I get until I die is story bricks and button mashing?

It's so fucking depressing.
Well, they haven't mentioned anything about difficulty at all. They just showed the concept and shouted a bunch of dev speak. I'm intrigued but I'll wait until I can get my hands on it.

I'm really disappointed with the look of the character's gear. I feel like loot will be meaningless.

The "fun" in EQN doesn't seem tangible, it seems like the "fun" is the experience of it all.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
No character levels? Might as well take the walls down so the Mexican's can storm the US while we are at. Fuck that noise.

Unless....its more class based levels or something...while I appreciate them trying to help redefine aspects of the MMO paradigm but thats just a wee bit to radical for my lil ole self.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
They had a great opportunity and blew it. This shit is gay and WoW has that segment on fucking lock down. This is RiftGWMineWoWcraft and sounds like a novelty at best. This is an investment recoup at best. Make something truly different assholes.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
In EverQuest, I played on Solusek Ro, which was the unofficial Euro server. Beyond providing lots of conflict and server drama over getting raid mobs to spawn at certain times, I guess I just don't really see the benefit? Most people want servers that are in their area for performance, I would think.
I was 19 when I was playing. I ended up in a mainly scandinavian guild (lots of Danish people). They banded together to do raids when they could, at their time. Yes, some encounters were lost (played on Bristlebane) to other raids, but along the way I met Japanese, American, Italian, Greek.... So many different people from different countries. All around the world. Splitting servers just seems like censoring the mmo part. I remember "latency" being a reason WoW used early on, then it fell to shit when they suddenly announced the ability for the US army to connect to American servers from anywhere in the world. As they should be able to, but it also completely shot down their initial reason.

Granted latency might be more of an issue with higher focus on active combat, but still. Few people with the computer power to run EQN that also does not have a good internet connection. Let the community form, as you say "unofficial" servers, if they want. But I would not mind encountering people from different countries again. Also, NA servers are usually all English even if the population is diverse. On EU servers, it seems everyone just likes speaking their own language. And there are so many of them.

Forced separate servers are not good. Would be odd to design their whole game around the philosophy of choice is good, then blocking it at such an elementary level as who you can play with. Especially since this is the essential reboot of EQ, where they pander to the people who made memories in EQ. A game where people met others from all around the world. How many old EQ guilds were not broken up transitioning from EQ to WoW? I was in the US at the time of release of WoW. Played with lots of scandinavians and people around the world for years, then suddenly, only allowed to play with Americans. Let guilds reunite in EQ:N. Many guilds would not be able to do that with split servers.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I liked what I saw besides the combat style - which is a shame since it's such a key part - I like gaming where I don't feel like I have to AFK to sip a beverage when it comes to something like an MMO where there's no "breaks" between rounds or otherwise. Telling my group "Hey, hold up a minute" because I want to drink my tea (Yea, I drink tea often - fuck off if you hate on tea drinkers) or nibble on some desk friendly snacks or whatever is bothersome to me. I'm one of those types that would play EQ1 and cook and eat all without substantial breaks in gameplay since I've got the office immediately next to the kitchen. (Living room on the house plans but we "officified" it for the wife and I)
To me, this has more to do with dungeon design and pacing than actual combat itself. Perhaps you can move a bit quicker if you entire group can dodge every single ability, perhaps you'll need to stop and rest for a minute if a few aren't as good at dodging, etc. A need for Crowd Control will also slow down pulls quite a bit as well. There's definitely a balance that needs to be struck. I think there needs to be ebbs and flows when exploring a dungeon.

Carl_sl

shitlord
No character levels? Might as well take the walls down so the Mexican's can storm the US while we are at. Fuck that noise.

Unless....its more class based levels or something...while I appreciate them trying to help redefine aspects of the MMO paradigm but thats just a wee bit to radical for my lil ole self.
supposedly you skill up your class or something evelike.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well I am quite impressed by this. No matter what nobody can say that SOE(of all companies) isn't trying to break the mold of a stagnant genre. It may fall flat on its face, it might be a wild success. Either way, I am excited to see how it turns out.

SOE was the first company to make the MMO a big deal and they did it by making a game they thought would be cool. Now unlike every other asshole developer out there they are not trying to copy the most successful formula. They are making something very new, just because they think its cool. And that is fucking awesome.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
SOE was the first company to make the MMO a big deal and they did it by making a game they thought would be cool. Now unlike every other asshole developer out there they are not trying to copy the most successful formula. They are making something very new, just because they think its cool. And that is fucking awesome.
rrr_img_38731.jpg

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So are player owned cities in EQN or only Landmark? I know they said you could work towards building Halas and stuff, but what about your own town/house?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Being able to switch classes is absolutely fucking stupid. It destroys any sense of identity a player creates for that character in the world. It's the same with name and faction changes.

Essentially on a longer-term scale, everyone is eventually every class. So the only reason to have classes then is because the developers are too inept to give everyone every skill of every class, because they can't design well enough to accomplish that, and it's also very boring. What we get is artificial walls built into the mechanics to retard the class change - go to a trainer, build up faction, etc.

When the solution is simple:do not let players switch classes.
They actually said that you can collect classes then even go further by mixing and matching skills and shit to invent your own thing. So it might be closer to UO. Which you like right? I mean you loved UO. This is nearly exactly like it.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I am quite impressed by this. No matter what nobody can say that SOE(of all companies) isn't trying to break the mold of a stagnant genre. It may fall flat on its face, it might be a wild success. Either way, I am excited to see how it turns out.

It's not new..

So are player created cities in EQN or only Landmark? I know they said you could work towards building Halas and stuff, but what about your own town/house?
I believe landmark provides infinite building materials @ your disposal, whereas in EQN you need to attain them. So, it seems player created cities are possible.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I think this reddit post sums up a majority of the people in this thread:

I am dumbfounded by some of these posts. People wait for years for a game and then nerd rage over the keynote?
This was a high level overview on the general concept of the game. They showed almost nothing about anything. This is a multi-day event and you just watched the first 5%.
There was not a thing they could have said to impress you. That's your issue, not theirs, mine, or everyone else that's at least willing to hear them out over the course of the weekend.
They said that this game was different, that it would change mmo gaming the same way EQ Classic did. In that, they delivered. This is not a wow clone or like any other mmo out there. It's bold, it's different. Isn't that what we asked for? Maybe just hear them out.