EQ Never

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
rrr_img_38729.jpg

I can't be the only one?
I could be wrong, but i bet you that you can create more than 1 human female,....call me crazy.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
here's something depressing to think about. There are wizard spires, but everyones a wizard and can be a wizard whenever they want? soo... who gives a shit if you have a wizard in your group or not. everyone can just go to the druid ring or wizard spire cause we are all those classes. : (
Being able to switch classes is absolutely fucking stupid. It destroys any sense of identity a player creates for that character in the world. It's the same with name and faction changes.

Essentially on a longer-term scale, everyone is eventually every class. So the only reason to have classes then is because the developers are too inept to give everyone every skill of every class, because they can't design well enough to accomplish that, and it's also very boring. What we get is artificial walls built into the mechanics to retard the class change - go to a trainer, build up faction, etc.

When the solution is simple:do not let players switch classes.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I just hope the armor they showed is end game stuff. I want pieced together minimal stat leather and bronze shit in the original version of the game.

Being able to switch classes is absolutely fucking stupid. It destroys any sense of identity a player creates for that character in the world. It's the same with name and faction changes.

Essentially on a longer-term scale, everyone is eventually every class. So the only reason to have classes then is because the developers are too inept to give everyone every skill of every class, because they can't design well enough to accomplish that, and it's also very boring. What we get is artificial walls built into the mechanics to retard the class change - go to a trainer, build up faction, etc.

When the solution is simple:do not let players switch classes.
Wonder if switching classes will involve 2500 station cash for the unlock?

I am sure this will launch with a barber shop cash shop as well which is staple of MMO's now, so if you have to pay for sex change, faction change, race change, appreance change.

Then why not a 2500$ station cash class change.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
why are people so hung up on combat? combat's not going to keep you playing and you can forget about single-player combat in an mmo because that would be a logistical nightmare. and lol at wow combat being more exciting than eq combat. the only difference between the two was that wow required more button spamming.
For me the demo combat looked like it had no purpose behind it. Basically run and hit abilities and shit dies. It's a bit much for me if its that way overall. I'm hopeful it's really not tho.

Ah yes there we go, revenue stream tie-ins. Absolutely it'll come. Change we can believe in.
Lulz!!!!!!!!!!

But as scary as my sarcasm maybe, this could really happen.

I am sure this will launch with a barber shop cash shop as well which is staple of MMO's now, so if you have to pay for sex change, faction change, race change, appreance change.

Then why not a 2500$ station cash class change.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The reason people are hung up on combat is because that is what you spend 80% of your time doing in MMOs and this one seems no different. Between PQs, hidden caves with bosses etc , its all tied around combat. I actually don't mind the more action oriented combat. Was a bit flashy(couldn't seen jack ) but that could be toned down/turned off.

Carl_sl

shitlord
So, heres a good question AAs? Do we get them? what do they do? how many? If there are no levels there is no xp (maybe). If no xp how do you get AA's. If there are no AAs who do I murder?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
When they showed the destruction at the end, does that mean any fight you get into that has any kind of duration, you will end up falling through the ground. The destruction was nice(impressions in the ground from moves) but I would say it almost went too far, it was like just releasing the tazmanian devil everywhere.
I'm sure they will fine tune the destruction aspect of it. Like stone and rock can't be destroyed by normal attacks that quickly. Might take a little bit.

A lot of people here are railing aginst wrong things. Like the mob sitting in the path and then talking about AI. They set that up just for the demo.

This sounds like GW2 redux. I got hyped for the world scripted shit in GW2 and they failed. It really depends in EQN's content is generated based on AI or if it's scripted. The Rally Calls are a great idea if they do take lots of time to complete. Should offer really nice gameplay.

I'm just disappointed that the combat seems bad, but the minecraft elements seem really fun, and if the multi classing is done well it could be really fun, not new, but fun.
How? Multiclassing in games is only ever fun because you try to find a combination that will help you kill stuff. But when everything goes splat with a few keys anyway, there is no motivation to try stuff. Just like GW2.

Those are pewpew IP's that no one knows about or cares about.
No they are the exact opposite.... Prison Architect, Kerbal Space Program, Arma3, etc..

Little different to release this type from soe where there whole future depends on it.
This game is going to be out within a year. It's not pre-alpha. It wont change. Believe it will if you want but you will be disappointed.

I love how people know everything about the combat based on 2 NPCs killing 10 unresponsive goblins. Let's be honest, it was a glorified tech demo.
That's not honest at all... even if it was a tech demo, they would make sure to have it more or less represent the finished game.

I'm agree combat is going to be more WoW/GW2-like than EverQuest 1, but so what? EverQuest 1's combat was painfully boring for basically every single class.
None of the casters were boring.

Save the four million that have played dark souls and demon souls. Where difficulty is amazingly hard.

I think people want challenge again. As are clamoring for it. Especially in this genre.

All EQ next did was make a new sub genre. The theme park sandbox.
frown.png
You should know better than that, lessons like that take forever to be learned in this industry, especially this genre. Nobody is interested in dipping their toe in Dark Soul's success until there are at least a bunch more games like it, and until one of them makes serious money.

The upcoming Dark Souls is the key. It will be bigger budget and have potential to make bigger profit because it will be on more platforms etc. If THAT is a success, then maybe one or two other companies will have a go at harder games. But companies like SOE are not interested in trying risky approaches. They just want to do what they know is popular. Again, if you are like me and want a hard or complex game, going to have to wait for an indie developer to do it.

here's something depressing to think about. There are wizard spires, but everyones a wizard and can be a wizard whenever they want? soo... who gives a shit if you have a wizard in your group or not. everyone can just go to the druid ring or wizard spire cause we are all those classes. : (
It wont even matter anyway... you can just parkour your way through a zone without even pressing any keys - just automatically leap over everything that gets in your way. And any big gaps, you fly over it with those Rift rip off abilities.

why are people so hung up on combat?
Because it's what you do 95% of the time in an MMO....?

Watching the ESO gameplay from earlier today. I think it is more what people here are looking for.
I know I am. And I'm not even much of an Elder Scrolls fan. But it's on my radar now.

Wasn't it all online anyway at that point? It was leaked on some site.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Ah yes there we go, revenue stream tie-ins. Absolutely it'll come. Change we can believe in.
Tad. If you read this, important question.

There is a separate company dealing with the EU part of the EQ:N Beta. Will they be idiotic like WoW and force separate servers between EU/US?

I do not know of any mmo with a different site/login between EU/NA that shares servers. This would suck if true.

As to the FTP Cash shops thing. The privacy agreement for the EU company which handles EQ:N states very clearly in their user policy that their products are free to play and contains access to "cash" shops.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I dunno. I really only identify with one of my characters (my 'main'). I might enjoy my others, but I still see myself as the first character. I like the idea that I don't have to lose that identity to play a different class. Now, I don't think you should necessarily be able to switch classes at the drop of a hat, there does need to be some give and take.

In the end, most people will still specialize in certain classes. I hate playing casters in basically every game. I may dabble it in in EQNext. I think multi-classing really increases possibilities as well. For example, Warrior and Cleric makes you a Paladin. Or perhaps mixing Warrior and Wizard - which would actually make me consider using spellcasting classes if I can use it to augment my meleeing, etc.

Hopefully we'll learn more in the Class panel.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Ya, so I'm probably gonna buy whatever the top end CE is for this. Too many features I've always wanted to see in an MMO are included.

Not gonna lie, I'm still concerned about a couple factors.

1. There better be some permanent locations. For example, If guk isn't there I'm gonna be pretty pissed.
2. The item customization has me real worried that loot is +betterer.
3. Multiclassing is gonna hinder social development if it isn't done correctly.
4. There better be open world dungeons... But doubtful.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tad. If you read this, important question.

There is a separate company dealing with the EU part of the EQ:N Beta. Will they be idiotic like WoW and force separate servers between EU/US?

I do not know of any mmo with a different site/login between EU/NA that shares servers. This would suck if true.
In EverQuest, I played on Solusek Ro, which was the unofficial Euro server. Beyond providing lots of conflict and server drama over getting raid mobs to spawn at certain times, I guess I just don't really see the benefit? Most people want servers that are in their area for performance, I would think.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
What these developers, and many players, don't realize, is the design of one mechanic absolutely affects another, which affects another. Every piece of the design influences the other pieces.

So the reason WoW combat objectively sucks for an MMO (among other reasons), is that at a high-end dungeon crawl, the mash-button design translates to a reality that it doesn't matter which button you mash - which skill you use, as long as you use something. You could go in use skill A vs. skill B, and it doesn't matter. Maybe one is a little more efficient than the other, but they've designed it to where both of them will produce the same result: you winning.

The reason this makes a difference isn't necessarily because of the mash button design itself, but due to the death penalty mechanic. I would say that if WoW had the death mechanics of EverQuest, then WoW combat would be more exciting - because it would be slower in that people would think about the skills to use, the decisions would have more impact. But because one mechanic (death) is designed terribly, another mechanic suffers for it (combat).

That's what these developers are lost on. They absolutely suck in terms of designing real gameplay, but they're pretty good at design that extracts and exploits casual consumers.

EQ:N looks to be a failure as an MMO from what I've seen. It could turn into a good or interesting game possibly, but it's not really an MMO. It looks like they're just mashing a bunch of cool features together and hope they all stick and play nice. I don't see a Vision (tm) here at all, just throw it all against the wall and hope it works well.