EQ Never

Carl_sl

shitlord
any of you that are of the age must remember that feeling. Growing up around Star Wars, as a kid, geeking out as a teenager, getting the games, reading the books and totally went mental when Lucas announced the prequels. Reading non stop leaks and info building up to the release date. Watching people line up weeks in advance outside theatres, going with some friends to the midnight showing or one of the other 24 hour/day showings at the time. Then while you're watching the most excruciating piece of shit every put to film, wrapping your head around Jar Jar and all the other crap going on, your brain can't quite grasp what you're witnessing. It was total denial. Even after the movie ended we were still trying to convince ourselves "gee, that wasn't that bad, that wasn't the biggest letdown in the history of humanity"... That was exactly the feeling watching the EQ Next reveal and watching that stupid cartoon lion which (i'm not fucking kidding here) I thought was supposed to be a joke a first then realized they were dead serious about it. What small percentage of hope I ever had left in regards to the MMORPG genre just slipped away like a fart in the wind.
Sorry to hear that. I get it too. Certainly don't feel that way because eq isn't my baby, but sorry.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even if the other 99% gets refined into awesome, the choice to show that Kerran model may haunt Sony all the way to release. It better get changed.

Whenever you see the Kerran model you shall see Jar Jar Binks' head

There, that should do it.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The more I have been reading about the EQ and EQII expansions the more I feel they need to help out the EQNext team. I don't know who or what team helped these games out (and maybe it was because they were announced next to EQNext) but I really feel like the EQ and EQII latest expansions have a great Everquest feel. I'm not down and out on EQNext by any means, just way way too early, but I liked what I saw.

The unfortunate part.. EQ is just so buried by expansion rubble. The new expansion stories/lore look great and I think it is exactly what EQ players would want. Kudos to them for trying to feel out their fanbase. I can't help but think they used Brad in a lot of this because they are telling zones that were never introduced. I would almost buy in for the Dead Hills and the Plane of War.

EQII their unfortunate part is the damage has been done. This expansion is by far the best they've announced. I don't even have to play it. I was there for the last 3-4 and they were miserable.

Regardless, it gives old school EQ players a bone to chew on while we wait. EQNext I still think has a great start because i'm still curious. I feel I could have easily have just flipped it off and walked away but I'm not and it doesn't look like many are at this moment. As jaded and cynical as most EQ players are, i'm not hearing too much negativity. I think it's good that everyone has realized this is early and who knows what we'll get.

also, start eating:

8sQ6dHI.png

supertouch_sl

shitlord
people like itzena still don't understand that, deep down, players don't want casual mmos. sony could have made a "hardcore" mmo and the name alone would have piqued the interest of a lot of people.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
people like itzena still don't understand that, deep down, players don't want casual mmos. sony could have made a "hardcore" mmo and the name alone would have piqued the interest of a lot of people.
With combat, AI, and death penelty yet to be disclosed, I think it is too early to determine the casual v. hardcore nature of the game.

If nothing else, special ruleset servers can be a saving grace.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
No. I think there are people who want a "hardcore" mmo. I wouldn't generalize "Players" as all or even most. I think that a good chunk more want casual moreso than hardcore nowadays.

What is hardcore to you anyway? Death Penalty? Long fights with mechanics that don't change? What made EQ hardcore outside of death penalties, the danger of mobs that took forever to kill, and the difficulty of getting geared up?

I think more players are looking for a world that they can immerse themselves in, things to do outside of raiding/dungeon running, running away from the meaningless repetitive grind, and significant unique events that they can recall with their friends.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
If your goal is to make money, your game will be a failure. It's just that simple. Games like EverQuest, Ultima Online, made money, but in the beginning, the developers made the game they wanted to make, and the game was financially successful because of that. The industry is now ass-backwards.

A real game studio will fire all of their 'marketing focus group' and beancounting parrots. Fire them and replace them with more artists and engineers. We don't need a marketing group to tell us that Scarlet Monastery was the most utilized dungeon. We don't care. That dungeon fucking sucked in every way possible, so another like it shouldn't be made.

Developers make the dungeons they think would be awesome to play in, which I'm guessing is what led to places like Guk and BRD. That's what we need EQ:N to be, not a marketing focus group-based game.

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
What is hardcore to you anyway? Death Penalty?
"scarcity of resources". This fuels a community. Be it scarcity of loot, exp, mobs, spells and abilities (ports, rez, summon corpse), etc. Scarcity forces humans to interact and develop strategies to overcome. This interactions is the REAL content in an MMORPG. Not the mickey mouse shit that devs add in a theme park that they think will keep players playing for years on end then wonder why everyone is quitting after a few months

jcr4990_sl

shitlord
If your goal is to make money, your game will be a failure. It's just that simple. Games like EverQuest, Ultima Online, made money, but in the beginning, the developers made the game they wanted to make, and the game was financially successful because of that. The industry is now ass-backwards.

A real game studio will fire all of their 'marketing focus group' and beancounting parrots. Fire them and replace them with more artists and engineers. We don't need a marketing group to tell us that Scarlet Monastery was the most utilized dungeon. We don't care. That dungeon fucking sucked in every way possible, so another like it shouldn't be made.

Developers make the dungeons they think would be awesome to play in, which I'm guessing is what led to places like Guk and BRD. That's what we need EQ:N to be, not a marketing focus group-based game.
I loved SM and hated BRD but otherwise I agree with everything else you said. Game companies definitely seem to have it backwards. Focus should be make an AMAZING game and the money will come. Not focus on how can we make a game that makes the most money.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Yeah I totally disagree. Lead devs getting a 'vision' and then protecting it like a baby is almost always terrible. Good marketing is the solution to developing a successful vision. Just because a group of people do research on what people want doesn't mean you must appeal to the lcd and create a dozen SMs.

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
the entire entertainment industry has shifted this way. It's all backwards. Back in the day it was like, "I'm creating art, music, a movie, a book, how can I make money from this". Now it's "I want to make money, how do I make music, a game or a movie that accomplishes this goal". That's why mainstream movies and music and shit just suck now because it's about making money, not about creating art. There is a big difference between, "making money from art" and "making art because you want to make money"

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

How did that work for McQuaid and Vanguard?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK. and this might have been mentioned before. But first and foremost we need, as a community, to be preparing here.

Landmarks launches we need to immediately build a sprawling city. With intricate details based around two large dome like structures, then a hidden sewer system under the city. That sewer system will of course, look like a cock. This will be city of Fe'door.

Second, Either Plan Z that voting/poll system or someone pony up some tits for votes to make sure it's in at launch.

On an only slightly more serious note. Has anybody considered breaking this thread into multiple threads or giving it it's own sub-board? Such as :
EQN: Graphics
EQN: Landmark
EQN: Game Mechanics
EQN: Why the Kerran sucks...