EQ Never

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
This is why I'm always surprised when people buy into hype. Like actually defend it. There is no game I can think of that actually delivered on everything they set out to do when initially announced or it didn't turn out as expected. Why nobody thinks that's going to happen here, especially from a company with a track record like SOE, is mind boggling.
To be honest, this happens to single player games as well. Doesn't mean that these games aren't good. Hell, Bioshock Infinite was missing a lot of stuff shown at E3, yet it was still a great game.

Not saying EQ Next will be everything people are hyping, I seriously doubt it. But it could still be a fantastic game. Hell, even EQII turned into a fantastic game eventually.

I also think that expecting MMOs to be perfect from the beginning is a bit dumb, especially since they change constantly. If SOE is smart, they will have a year or so beta like WoW did to make sure this game is ready for launch.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What's more likely to happen since it's F2P and has content user generation is that it'll go in a fake release state they'll call open beta, which is just release but disguised, where you'll be able to spend your money on shit and that won't be wiped. And that'll last a while, maybe 6months or whatever. It's a common trick for F2P games, since there's no box, it's easy for them to call the release open beta and get away with any sort of shitty issues.

Anyway my overall opinion after the reveal is the ideas they have seem quite good, however I'll wait for the execution. I'm especially wary of what kind of restrictions and systems they'll have in place to prevent the obvious griefing a sandbox environement makes. I mean, I'm not adverse to griefing myself but I don't think anyone designs a game and think "ok newbies are gonna get fucked in the ass by assholes, and we're ok with that, we don't need their money". I just don't see it happening, not for a largescale project like this at least.

I'm also not a big fan of the art direction. Game looks good but they went too far for my taste in the disney/pixar direction, the proportions and expressions are too exagerated. I don't hate it but I don't really like it, I think they could have went for a less cartoon-like style while keeping still a non realistic look, similar to GW2 or FFXIV. Can live with it, just not a fan.

Other than that I'm very pleased by the announcement, since I didn't expect or hope for an EQ1 remake anyway. The multiclass, class collection, horizontal progression and shit like that are very interesting to me, the combat looks alright. I hope they have a FFA server at release, luckily there's a long tradition of FFA servers from SOE so I have good hope.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
That's exactly what you are going to get. 123, mobs go splat. ORSUMMM!!!!

Because the only people who can cope with a game like that are now a small minority. But make a spammy action game and you appeal to probably 20 million potential players. Makes perfect business sense.

Our only hope now is Kickstarter. Wait for a few games like Star Citizen to become successes, and we might get something suited to a more skilled audience.
You only realize that now? I believe I have stated as much every 50ish pages for the last 5 months. Kickstarter is the only way to a remade EQ1. Really there's no reason for you to linger in this thread except to troll people that like a different type of game then you like.

how many concurrent pcs/stuff are able to be on the same screen with the current ps2 engine? seems that server population might be have to be smaller if everyone is going to huddle together for some types of rallyingcalls. (or just many concurrent rallyingcalls for distribution to cause the next rallyingcall).
I havent had much trouble in PS2 with fights that sometimes fielded way over hundred players. Not sure how different the engine is from the planetside version though, because PS2 doesnt have voxel terrain destruction at all.

My first impression is very positive. That said, I have 20 more pages to read in the thread before I am caught up but I like what they are planning. If they can implement it, which remains to be seen. So put me down for very excited about the reveal content but reserved for the release.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
"Talked to lead game designer at pool party for a bit, here's what I learned"
Can we get notes like this stickied? I know Tad gave us a couple of lists as well. Maybe someone even consolidate this to one post. We may need a new post that is just for information where we can post and someone add to the original post then delete ours.

ALL we need from this game is that it delivers/works as a proof of concept for:

-It's voxel based engine
-Storybricks

Even if EVERYTHING ELSE ends up sucking, as long as THOSE two systems work as well as we can imagine they could, we're OK. Because someone else will take them and wrap them up in a better combat/leveling/crafting/movement/animations/whathaveyou enveloppe and realize their full potential. And it won't just be MMOs.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Draegan mentioned UO earlier. What I really don't get and would like to know is why are they even called classes if you can slot the skills from these classes and 'multiclass'? I suppose it's more FFXI than UO.

Just remove the class abstraction, put in hard-to-obtain skills, and be done with it. That would be more akin to UO.

Need more info on the multiclasses and class switching paradigms to get excited. I want to know characters because they're good or awesome at what they do. I don't want to know Bob the SK today, then Bob the cleric tomorrow.

And no fat, stupid ogre/trolls is not, and will never be, EverQuest.

I don't want to know Bob the SK today, then Bob the cleric tomorrow.
they contradicted themselves when they said "you can switch classes mid fight" then in the next breath mentioned 8-skill hot bars.

...so i can switch at any point and change my hot bar selections. what is the point of limiting the hot bar then?

asocirev_sl

shitlord
EVE has gear based classes basically (vehicle based), and I dig it. You do need to touch base to swap your gear out though. It would be very silly to swap from ranger to cleric to necromancer in the middle of a raid depending on what boss is up next, and be fully capable to excel at that. I don't think they'll take it that far.
This was my least favorite part of Rift. Being able to switch my class at will was a turn-off and led to me not playing past a couple of weeks (well it was one of the contributing factors). I like playing support classes because there is a need for them in groups, and after a year of playing EQN if everyone can be tank/healer/dps your don't *need* a certain class... you just need 5-6 people and you can form the group composition after that.

I don't play EVE but I agree with your point about touching a "base" to change class. I would think they would have to do this to prevent the WIZ porting issue and other problems with fast class switching.

Their vision for class design really sounds similar to Path of Exile to me, so they aren't really breaking new ground with their first Holy Grail. COmbine that with the 4 + 4 action bar and I get visions of a PS4 controller. I hope they tread lightly and don't make a TERA/BaldursGate
biggrin.png
A for the twitchy console-rs... although ball lightning was the shit so they should add that
smile.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
they contradicted themselves when they said "you can switch classes mid fight" then in the next breath mentioned 8-skill hot bars.

...so i can switch at any point and change my hot bar selections. what is the point of limiting the hot bar then?
Maybe switching has a cooldown, and you can only switch between presets you made beforehand. So you'd pick 8skills for tanking and 8skills for healing but you can't actually change one of your healing skill to a support buff in the middle of the fight, you'd have to set it up before hand. And by having only these 2 presets(or more whatever), it's similar to multiple hotbars but without actually giving you access to everything at the same time. Don't know could go a lot of ways, also that's the kind of shit that's most likely to change over the course of beta.

Dumar_sl

shitlord

There are 3 important points that will make or break this game for people like Ut, qwerty, and myself. That is, 3 issues that will tell us whether the game is worth a shot:

1: thespecificmechanics of class switching and how these mechanics will relate to class interdependence. Right now, I'm thinking of WoW talent swapping here, which is a complete and total failure. (And ps, to the someone who said WoW dungeons aren't steamroll enough to where skills do matter - is it too late to laugh in your virtual face?)

2: Mob difficulty. They have to be at least as hard as EverQuest mobs were.

3: Death penalty. It has to matter, otherwise the best combat, class, skill design in the world won't make a difference.

asocirev_sl

shitlord
Yeah, they made it sound like this is what they really wanted - for there to be sort of a legend for each server.

"Back in my day, I remember Halas wasn't even a city yet! We had to fight for MONTHS for it to be established"

Some people will miss out, but I think it will really create unique experiences and memories.
Agree. If they want this to be a "sandbox" they need to let the chips fall where they may.

i like to think that the extremely linear path the warrior & wizard ran in Feerrott was simply for combat mechanic demonstration purposes only.