EQ Never

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
The thing with the system on how we obtain classes that worries me...is can I fuck it up permanently? If I decide to help the orcs and that the farmer was the guy that gives the wizard class. Did I just lock myself out of ever becoming a wizard...or will there be other opportunities?
I don't think anything is permanent. They've said they like the idea of becoming a Shadow Knight and then redeeming yourself and becoming a Paladin.

So you can most likely make up for your transgressions against the poor farmers slaughtered by Orcs.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Where the problem lies is there is no class interdependence factor and there is no identifying factor. The example I've been using is teleports. Everyone remembers looking for wizards/druids to teleport them at one point in their career if they played EQ any considerable amount of time. They were sought after and playing one of those classes you felt like you brought something to the table. People needed you for something your particular class provided. In this system everyone can be any and every class so a year or two post-launch literally EVERYONE that plays this game will have "Wizard" unlocked and be able to teleport themselves. "Shaman" unlocked to SoW themselves. "Enchanter" unlocked to give themselves clarity. "Cleric" unlocked so they can rez. You don't have to rely on anyone else because you are everything and it's this mindset that's destroyed so many MMO's for me and many others.
exactly this. being able to be a warrior/chanter/wizard/rogue doesn't sound intriguing to me, it sounds retarded. if everyone can do everything, then there is no dependency on any particular class. like dumar said, you're no longer playing with bob the great cleric, you're playing with bob the whatever you need him to be at any given moment, and that sucks.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Game looks interesting. The stylized graphics look good so far, and the class switching thing feeds much more into the sand box design elements. City building = cool, blowing up all terrain still worries me that everything is going to look like shit for the majority of the time because people like breaking shit to break shit. Combat looks fun!

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I want to role play a pcp addicted kerran lion rapist that listens to the lion sleeps tonight on replay, who's with me?

Hmerly

Golden Knight of the Realm
You will not be able to be everything. You may multi-class, but it'll be a lot of work if you want to be fully a rogue and a cleric. Your skills/spells in this game are not going to be just something you go to a trainer or store in town and buy your 10 new abilities/spells when you level. Instead, they are going to require you to go out and adventure and do things to acquire them. If you work hard enough you may become an awesome cleric and a rogue, but it won't be something easy to do. This is no different really than you being a cleric, and then making an alt rogue and leveling the rogue up. However, instead you're just keeping the same character. I think its the best of both worlds. Nothing really changes, except now whatever you accomplish on your alt is instead accomplished on your main. Also, you will not be a full fledged rogue and cleric at the same time. You are limited to 8 skills/spells it seems so you will have to pick and choose which you want active and available as you go into your encounter. Adds a ton more strategy when you can choose from a lot more options and allows you to play more your style. Also, this system also opens up the possibility of future higher tiered classes, maybe those that are a lot more specialized, but really difficult to obtain. This allows more customization for you as a player and for the developers to really get more creative with a class, without worrying about how the class works from level/tier 1 to whatever max is as the class would only be for Max tiered players. This is very exciting to me.

exactly this. being able to be a warrior/chanter/wizard/rogue doesn't sound intriguing to me, it sounds retarded. if everyone can do everything, then there is no dependency on any particular class. like dumar said, you're no longer playing with bob the great cleric, you're playing with bob the whatever you need him to be at any given moment, and that sucks.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shrug. I just had 2 accounts in EverQuest, with my Druid and Cleric alts my second account to give me rezes and ports when needed. I think people are really over-stating it's importance, even in the original.

Tad has already said, based on the panels, that being the 'best' of any class will take a long time to do. Nothing is just handed to you, you have to earn everything.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
With combat, AI, and death penelty yet to be disclosed, I think it is too early to determine the casual v. hardcore nature of the game.

If nothing else, special ruleset servers can be a saving grace.
This is my last hope/holdout that I might really enjoy this. Special ruleset servers and/or actual death penalties that mean something.

Be it more hardcore pvp rulesets , less resource,harsher pve ruleset , I'm holding out they will have something that suits me along these lines.

And a chance to kill every god awful Disney lion character I come across would be therapeutic also.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
This is my last hope/holdout that I might really enjoy this. Special ruleset servers and/or actual death penalties that mean something.

Be it more hardcore pvp rulesets , less resource,harsher pve ruleset , I'm holding out they will have something that suits me along these lines.

And a chance to kill every god awful Disney lion character I come across would be therapeutic also.
Sleeping on everything I saw last night, I'm a little more optimistic, but I agree with everything you said Dahkoht.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
people like itzena still don't understand that, deep down, players don't want casual mmos. sony could have made a "hardcore" mmo and the name alone would have piqued the interest of a lot of people.
iIWXgrkv1eABW.gif

Hmerly

I just hope there is a need for a corpse recovery of some sort. Having your corpse at the entrance of any dungeon you die in is such a cop out. Some of my best memories in EQ were those dungeon camps/crawls where we ended up wiping and had to do CR. Pain in the ass, but you made friends and interacted with people that way. Which of course helped with the whole community thing. Also, being such a pain, you really wanted to avoid it so when you were deep in Chardok and the monk makes a bad pull and you scream EVAC and things are going to shit and you're just praying your wizard or druid can get his evac spell off in time with you alive was some of the most fun I've had in any video game.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Well it certainly looks like they caught the wow 2 look. Its very stylized and pretty good looking in general, and looks quite smooth and well animated.

EQ has generally gotten the underlining mechanics of a game right and usually deliver contents soo... I'm actually looking forward to a mmo somewhat. So weird.

spronk

FPS noob
I hope someone figures out how to mod the EQN Landmark tool they release this fall so it adds in player characters, and it ends up people just play that over EQN as hundreds and hundreds of crazy ass mods get put in.

Just for references sake the first GW2 tech demo was shown in mid 2010, and it was far more advanced than EQN's tech demo. The game didn't release for 2 years after that, and EQN seems to be far more ambitious than GW2's design goals.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
It will really come down to the viability of becoming "all the classes" will it take me 10 years to get a single character to have every class fully leveled? If so then by the time I have 3 useful classes fully maxed/geared etc they will have released more classes and probably classes that augment you further in to a specialized class (super cleric, super warrior, super rogue etc) and you will take your character in that direction and hopefully by the time you have gotten 1-2 of those full they come out with super duper this and super duper that. Also it would be nice to be LFG and be able to fill in the crowed control or damage dealer role if need be. I agree though it will be kind of lame if its just a LFG fest and then the question is "okay whos gonna be the tank, the healer, the damage dealer this time"? And everyone calls dibs on what they feel like doing.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Holy shit, this thread blew up overnight.

Other than the Kerran, this has the best art direction I've seen in an SOE game. The features released thus far are new and/or refreshing, as far as MMO's go. I'm cautiously optimistic right now, but we literally know next to nothing about the actual game yet. The 'sky is falling' posts are way premature, as are the people overly excited.

Hmerly

I think people will naturally gravitate towards the class they like playing the most, with some skills thrown in from another class or two during encounters. Other utility skills will only be used probably while traveling or maybe doing buffs.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It will really come down to the viability of becoming "all the classes" will it take me 10 years to get a single character to have every class fully leveled? If so then by the time I have 3 useful classes fully maxed/geared etc they will have released more classes and probably classes that augment you further in to a specialized class (super cleric, super warrior, super rogue etc) and you will take your character in that direction and hopefully by the time you have gotten 1-2 of those full they come out with super duper this and super duper that. Also it would be nice to be LFG and be able to fill in the crowed control or damage dealer role if need be. I agree though it will be kind of lame if its just a LFG fest and then the question is "okay whos gonna be the tank, the healer, the damage dealer this time"? And everyone calls dibs on what they feel like doing.
but this is exactly what's going to happen. it's going to be "okay, i want to be the dps, so one of you has to be the healer, and someone else has to be the CC, etc..." it's one of those things that sounds great, but is poorly implemented.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit, this thread blew up overnight.

Other than the Kerran, this has the best art direction I've seen in an SOE game. The features released thus far are new and/or refreshing, as far as MMO's go. I'm cautiously optimistic right now, but we literally know next to nothing about the actual game yet. The 'sky is falling' posts are way premature, as are the people overly excited.
really? you like the art direction? it looks like WOW and GW2 had an abortion.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I agree though it will be kind of lame if its just a LFG fest and then the question is "okay whos gonna be the tank, the healer, the damage dealer this time"? And everyone calls dibs on what they feel like doing.
People will always specialize in specific classes or roles. I hate playing casters in just about every game, that probably won't change in EQN. I like to play Tanks, or at the very least melee classes.

If obtaining a class and leveling it up takes as much of an investment as Tad said, then I think finding someone who can do everything will atleast be as rare as someone who has a geared alt of every role in other MMOs.

Maybe it's just me, but I really only have a connection with my 'main' character. That is my avatar in the world, and I use alts just out of necessity. I like the idea of being able to have 1 main character without needing 10 alts to be a fully effective member of my group or guild. Because I don't know about you, but most every person in my guilds has had multiple characters to fill in the gaps that were needed for specific groups or raids. I think people are sort of kidding themselves if they don't think individual people being able to fill every role hasn't always been possible, for the most part.

Let's be honest, is there really a big difference in my main character being able to switch to healer (which I had to gear and tier up) and logging on an alt that I leveled and geared up?