EQ Never

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
SoE changed the character art for VG 9 months or so after the game was released. The artists they used were not very good. In fact they did such a bad job of it that I left the game. The original Vanguard character art was very good, and would still look good to this day.

It is the quality of the artists that matter, not the style.
Everything about the Vanguard art, the engine, the models and the animations were goddam awful or subpar at best. Alas in this business there are very few extremely talented artists and even inside companies like Blizzard and SOE there are not that many so certainly you won't waste them for a B game.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Ed. Note: No Trinity.

No dedicated healers or focused tanks based on combat mechanics.

Combat model - visceral, active movement orientated gameplay.

Everyone is responsible for their own safety, and part of the action.

Discuss!!

rrr_img_38859.jpg
That may have killed it for me.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

So tell me exactly how EQN is vastly different?
It's not, and I think they will find a completely open system like this eventually just leads to a lack of identity and a pretty tedious collection grind in order to be as fungible as possible. As we saw with D3, people like their identities in games--even fungibility (To be anything) should be an identity in and of itself. The system shouldn't LEND itself to game play that simply involves not being tied to anything, it should be more like other sandboxes where being that prepared requires more and more resources because the risk/loss paradigm can be punishing.

So, if someone always has 3 suits on them to be able to be 10 different types of classes, they should require an immense amount of resources due to risk of losing those suits--which is how it is in most gear limited, but open skill sandboxes (Like eve). But they said gear was going to be BoE--which means this probably won't be the case...which is really worrying, because I think games that essentially turn into who has more storage are pretty damn tedious if the game isn't set up AROUND making stockpiling a difficult but rewarding experience.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I think lore is Sunday but I wanted to see if I followed the sand art..

Apparently dragons wipe out everything and now Norrath is rebuilding. I'm assuming that you have the choice to rebuild Norrath (i.e. take part in progressive portions of the rally quests) or side with those currently in power, I believe the Ring of Scale, or maybe those that worship it. Thus giving you the option to take part on the other side of the rally quests. That's just looking at it from the surface and with single examples. If this is it (in its simplest form) than that easily lends to the PvP sides of things and would allow them to also bring PvP into rally quests or even other quests.
Combine dates it to after Rallos Zek invaded the planes of power, after Green Mist wiped out the Shissar on Kunark, and after the gods cursed the giants, trolls, ogres, and goblin for siding with Zek.

Antonica is name given to the continent well after the fall of the Combine empire. Name change was made to honor the founder Qeynos Antonius Bayle I. Before that it was called Tunaria.

That teleporter in Feerrott is of Shissar origin. The combine do remaster the knowledge of how to use them. Then knowledge is lost again with fall of the Combine and then rediscovered again by Al Kabor in original EQ.
I think all that went overboard and they are starting from scratch, just using the name and known locations to tickle your nostalgia. There doesnt seem to be a desert of ro on the map for example, unless it migrated across the mountains.

Not confirmed, that's my assumption based on them removing stats from the displayed armor. They want to avoid being pay-to-win, so the easiest way to charge for cosmetic items is to make all displayed armor cosmetic.
That isnt a solid reason really because you can sell armor skins just fine and just have them clicky-applied to the stat armor you already own. See GW2, TOR and WoW (and probably a dozen other games).

confirmed Raids are small. Didn't get a number but presumably 24ish. You are conflating raids and rallying cries. Number is speculation.

confirmed no camping in game. Mobs move around.

confirmed mob Ai is a bitch. Demo had no Ai playing.

dev comment. Not at all like playing modern raid where ay 50% it uses x ability. Very difficult

confirmed no oceans currently.

confirmed crafting in tiers like adventuring

confirmed no swg like resource differentation. Copper is copper.

confirmed itemization is critical. Example if rogue who slots teleport ability. Stamina use leaves him no stamina for back stab. Needs item that adds Sta on use.
With the info we have so far about the lore, I'm afraid we will all start in qeynos holding hands and braiding our hair, even if some go out and become evil through gameplay afterwards (they're just misunderstood, really). Is there any info pointing towards different racial or class based starting areas, and vastly different starting faction standings? Any word on religion playing a role? It would be great if you can get some info on that, seems like an important question to me at least.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Did your best healer quit the guild? No worries, it's no longer going to be detrimental. Time to move on. #EQNext

My dick literally just got soft in one sentence.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
"Butler: Dissing Diku style combat. One guy has to sit and take damage, another heal while other people get to have fun. Terry our primary healer and he leaves my guild, guild falls apart. We have seen this gameplay causes damage to guilds and we're moving beyond it!"

I think we're done here.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know if I'm the only one but I actually like the holy trinity. Tis sounds like GW2 part that didn't really work, it's fun for soloing but sucked in groups. Hopefully they do a better job.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Darren: NPCs not using triggerd timers (raid question) they will use their abilities to take out whomever is hurting them. You'll have to come up with new types of strategy to deal with them.

Butler: We have plan for moving around/fighting. NPCS can execute complex strategy and tactics and you'll have to overcome them.

Butler: Dissing Diku style combat. One guy has to sit and take damage, another heal while other people get to have fun. Terry our primary healer and he leaves my guild, guild falls apart. We have seen this gameplay causes damage to guilds and we're moving beyond it.
Hmmm. Again, sounds good in theory, but I dunno...

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Ed. Note: No Trinity.

No dedicated healers or focused tanks based on combat mechanics.

Combat model ? visceral, active movement orientated gameplay.

Everyone is responsible for their own safety, and part of the action.

Discuss!!
Wow...did they learn nothing from GW2?

Well...that's a deal breaker for me probably.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keep in mind on the art style "realistic" usually also means having to up the min specs for players computers to play it worth a shit. Remember EQ2 when it first came out or Vanguard? Now some of that is just bad engine but its also your comp having to render all those little shiny armor and weapon pieces as well as those around you. I am not the biggest fan of the cartoonish art style but I can live with it if one of the advantages is a better running game.
EQ has more a more realistic art style and has very few polygons. It does just fine. PS2 has a realistic style and looks great. It also has hundreds of players in the same area at a time.

A more realistic style doesn't require more polygons, but it does require better artists to make it work well. Almost any moron can draw a cartoon. But there are very few Keith Parkinsons in the world.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know if I'm the only one but I actually like the holy trinity. Tis sounds like GW2 part that didn't really work, it's fun for soloing but sucked in groups. Hopefully they do a better job.
This. Some may not like it, but I liked playing a tank or a healer. I played GW2 and it was fun, but holy crap were the dungeons literally just a giant clusterfuck.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The combat mechanics better be fucking revolutionary or else lack of trinity will make this a no-skill tardfest like GW2 PVE was. They may have destroyed my interest in this game with one stroke.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, I went from insanely excited to meh, with the statements about combat, just now. Fuck GW2's no trinity shit.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
If they are toting about class freedom, it wouldn't make sense to make EVERYONE chose at least 1 healing ability. That would be dumb, and that is not freedom. I'll wait to see what else they say.