EQ Never

Covered recently by tad10 - combat won't be that pace or level of destruction normally it was a tech demo.
I just don't believe it, sorry. It's just yet another lie. I always think people are tin foil hat wearers when they talk about "teh liez" but come on... it's all SOE really do. At this point you sound like more of a lunatic if you actually believe them.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
trinity sucks, hybridization is fantastic.
Games just have failed to implement it well.
the sad part is, they used to. just everyone seems to have forgotten how. They have gotten so lazy with false aggro.

Encounters themselves need to be rethought from the ground up. Too many people have gotten into a one tract mindset for both design and playstyle.

hybridization and specialization are NOT mutually exclusive.

GW2. mesmer portals. this is an example of it working properly. The problem in GW2 is not that mesmer portals are raid breaking, its that no one else has tools that are that awesome.
Engineer mortars should have worked like supply mortars. been fucking DEADLY, to doors/walls, etc.
Maybe thiefs should have been able to sneak into keeps legit.

GW2 also failed at have real good class interactions with boons and the like. the buff/auras, etc were not as meaningful as they should have been. AOE quickness was great. aoe Stability, great. Needed more of that, and less passive +might that EVERYONE gets.
Diablo2 is still the high bar for hybrid class design and interaction. That is kindof sad really. necros providing bone shields, or minion shields, or breaking immunities, or iron maidens, etc.. Barb shouts, paladin auras.
Each class even providing different and stacking buffs. Again, GW2 having everyone give the same buffs. huge mistake.
you just contradicted yourself. you begin by saying that specific class roles are bad, but end in describing how they are good (interdependency!) if everyone has the same spells and buffs, then you don't NEED each other.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I've been poopsocking p99 longer than you played eq1 senior. You will see, with forelight + multilevel zones+ environment destruction you will be hurting. Just because you can't see whats below the ground doesn't mean your system doesn't. The only thing that will save the lag somewhat is the cartoony graphics, so having that will help out. With that type of multi level rendering you might want to think twice.
twink me brah

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
With good reason - on a small screen that style of art allows expression to show, which is clearly a big deal to them with SOEMote. My vision is amazing and for FACIAL emotes I've always had a hard time making them out if I'm not on top of the person even if the best animated MMO.

Covered recently by tad10 - combat won't be that pace or level of destruction normally it was a tech demo.
really? we need cartoony graphics for FACIAL expressions? facials are for faggots and women.

Vilmz_sl

shitlord
I love being an MT too. It's definitely going to take a different mindset.

As long as I can still defend my team mates in some form, I'll be open minded.
I'm hoping that without a set trinity environment, I can still pool together certain tank abilities from different classes to make myself more 'tanky'. Maybe one class has a parry skill, another with a health bonus, etc that can be applied to my character.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been poopsocking p99 longer than you played eq1 senior. You will see, with forelight + multilevel zones+ environment destruction you will be hurting. Just because you can't see whats below the ground doesn't mean your system doesn't. The only thing that will save the lag somewhat is the cartoony graphics, so having that will help out. With that type of multi level rendering you might want to think twice.
Funny that you say that after they've said they're targeting 4-5 year old machines at having a playable experience - not to mention the ignorance you seem to have about thing like "occlusion" when it comes to rendering. Sure, your CPU needs to handle some duty for that, but CPUs are rarely taxed these days - besides that some extra throughput on your internet connection - but no game even gets close to maxing out a internet connection. Not to mention in both cases, since the world "heals" there's a baseline for the system to load from where only the damage to the world within the radius reported is needed for the client.

Or more simply, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about unless they choose to actively do things in the stupidest possible fashion ignoring options that are already built into the engine they use amongst other things. (occlusion is part of the PS2 engine by default)

supertouch_sl

shitlord
does anyone else prefer the concept art? this looks a hell of a lot better than the models shown in the demo

rrr_img_38900.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
really? we need cartoony graphics for FACIAL expressions? facials are for faggots and women.
Haha was totally thinking that. If that's the only reason they went with that art style they need to drop that features. It's not even cool

rolx_sl

shitlord
During one of the early anniversary deals they allowed you to download an alpha similar to that and look at how bad it looked.
thats 1998 my friend. no one is saying eqn looks bad, only the character models. Forelight is a great engine imo. It has a lot to do with shadowing and brightness detailing.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Funny that you say that after they've said they're targeting 4-5 year old machines at having a playable experience - not to mention the ignorance you seem to have about thing like "occlusion" when it comes to rendering. Sure, your CPU needs to handle some duty for that, but CPUs are rarely taxed these days - besides that some extra throughput on your internet connection - but no game even gets close to maxing out a internet connection. Not to mention in both cases, since the world "heals" there's a baseline for the system to load from where only the damage to the world within the radius reported is needed for the client.

Or more simply, you have no fucking clue what you're talking about unless they choose to actively do things in the stupidest possible fashion ignoring options that are already built into the engine they use amongst other things. (occlusion is part of the PS2 engine by default)
Whats funny? 4-5 year old machines when the game releases 2 years from now? So you might be able to play on LOW settings if the game comes out next year or after that if you have built your computer recently. ? Is that a group setting you will be ok? Or with 100 ppl? Are you the guy that goes on the raid and lags out? Probably. What are you even talking about? CPU's arnt taxed by games? No game maxes out your internet connection? LOL not even worth responding too.

Menion_sl

shitlord
Here is a clue for you. Nobody is going to make another MMO that had the mechanics of EQ1 vanilla again. WOW killed that market by catering to casuals and the millions of players who grew up on WOW would never put up with the real risk of corpse loss, corpse recoveries in general, deleveling and the plethora of other hard core game mechanics that we all look back on fondly. The market is just not there to support that type of game. And no MMO team is going to take that type of game on again especially with all of the MMOs that have crashed and burned lately. So, have fun poopsocking it up on P1999 because that is as close as you are going to get to once again playing the MMO of your dreams.

See you in EQNext!

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have ppl from p99 there and they said like 80% of the crowd is straight raging. Someone else posted on here earlier too that ppl were pissed ill go back and look.
Anyone who is crying that EverQuest Next isn't EverQuest HD deserves to be disappointed.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
you just contradicted yourself. you begin by saying that specific class roles are bad, but end in describing how they are good (interdependency!) if everyone has the same spells and buffs, then you don't NEED each other.
He's saying that classes can be interdependent without roles. His D2 example is that multiple classes can make each other a lot stronger, AND change strategies, without needing a tank or healer.

The thing is, what Cal doesn't get is D2 was an efficiency based loot system. Nothing in D2 was difficult, all that mattered was how fast you could kill it. In that type of game, there are no roles because you're simply optimizing your kill speed, so you don't need to figure out how to optimize your sustainability (Which is what the trinity is, an abstraction of protecting support structures/people in a fight). If that's how they design this MMO. to be more efficiency based, then that's fine, in fact, I'd really like a game like that. UO was a good example of efficiency based PvE, where PvE was simply another method for gathering resources and large scale, so it was more about quickly dispatching enemies and raid targets in order to gather their resources faster (While controlling them and denying other guilds), as opposed to killing them for an accomplishment in and of itself (Because they were hard).

However, from everything they said about itemization thus far--it does not look like they will be setting up the world to work with an efficiency model of PvE. And a difficulty based PvE model tends to work like absolute dog shit without very defined roles, because the tactical realities of actual, "life threatening" opponents, require cooperation and tactical positioning/planning (Which, as I stated earlier, is essentially what the trinity abstracts--Troops on front lines, with support/logistics in rear which comes down to Tanks/Healers, Support/)

Vaclav

Not saying it's a need - it's clearly important to SOE with SOEmote. I've messed with SOEmote in EQ2 and it seems completely impossible to decipher because of the features being realistic in proportion - the art direction fixes that "issue".

I don't think SOEmote or emote quality is a big deal myself. But if they're going to be utilized properly, that's the character models it needs to work right. I'm the kind of person who does a real emote in game once a month maybe - I find expression in words more meaningful. But for those people cybering someone or whatever they'll have a blast with it with easy to translate expressions.

Vaclav

I have ppl from p99 there and they said like 80% of the crowd is straight raging. Someone else posted on here earlier too that ppl were pissed ill go back and look.
Take Psych 101 and read up on selection bias.