EQ Never

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because it's horizontal progression, you'll always need other people:
Rofl that is not what people talk about when they talk of interdependence. Because in that regard every godamn mmo has it, because there is group content in every MMO. If theirs and your answer is "because you can't kill everything in the game solo" for interdependence, it's a sad world.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
The people that are complaining about the art direction are the same people who would be whining for a graphics update 2 years after launch when the "realistic" models look like shit.

I don't like the Kerran either but I do like longevity of the overall look.
That male doesn't really look realistic though, just more so than what we got. I'm not really complaining about the art style though, more that I don't care for the one human male face we were shown.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Yeah but that doesn't really tell me what it is.
SB in Authored Content (EQN Static Quests)

This was the example they gave at SOE Live. Developer writes a static quest in a village to retrieve a relic at the bottom of a mine. Other nearby interests want the mine for other things like mining - such as a nearby goblin tribe, bandits and a gang of dwarves.

So while the game is going on the goblins, bandits and dwarves will be constantly fighting over the mine, taking and retaking it, and when you get the quest you don't know what you'll have to face to get the relic back.

SB in the World

Goblins are spawned in the world they like money, they'll go looking for it, eventually setting up camps. Nearby villages/merchants will start looking for people to have quests.

But because SB can simulate a lot more than greed you can get scenarios like: King loves Queen, you meet the Queen and can, overtime, romance her and steal her away from the King. King will go after you for doing that. That's the part I want to see if they can put in.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Rofl that is not what people talk about when they talk of interdependence. Because in that regard every godamn mmo has it, because there is group content in every MMO. If theirs and your answer is "because you can't kill everything in the game solo" for interdependence, it's a sad world.
Read my previous quote where they said they're committed to interdependence. Maybe required grouping is their idea of interdependence, but no one really asked the question...so we really don't know for sure yet.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
SB in Authored Content (EQN Static Quests)

This was the example they gave at SOE Live. Developer writes a static quest in a village to retrieve a relic at the bottom of a mine. Other nearby interests want the mine for other things like mining - such as a nearby goblin tribe, bandits and a gang of dwarves.

So while the game is going on the goblins, bandits and dwarves will be constantly fighting over the mine, taking and retaking it, and when you get the quest you don't know what you'll have to face to get the relic back.

SB in the World

Goblins are spawned in the world they like money, they'll go looking for it, eventually setting up camps. Nearby villages/merchants will start looking for people to have quests.

But because SB can simulate a lot more than greed you can get scenarios like: King loves Queen, you meet the Queen and can, overtime, romance her and steal her away from the King. King will go after you for doing that. That's the part I want to see if they can put in.
can i put it in the queen?
wink.png

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Read my previous quote where they said they're committed to interdependence. Maybe required grouping is their idea of interdependence, but no one really asked the question...so we really don't know for sure yet.
And they have already talked about and pretty much set in stone a class system that goes against it.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
tad, i lova ya bro, but you are in full denial right now. there ain't gonna be an EQ3, at least not in the next 10 years or so. and i know for a fact that you'll be one of the first people hating on this game after a few days of realizing that it's just a glorified gw2.
smile.png
Nah, I like exploring. I'll explore until I get sick of the pregenerated dungeons. Realistically 3-4 months. Same timeframe I got bored in Minecraft.

I think they're going to have to do EQ3 given the shitstorm. And frankly, they'd be stupid not to. Instead of 50,000,000 for a AAA title they spend maybe 5-10,000,000 and reuse all the tech and assets from Landscape and EQN. I predict an announcement after EQN goes live, and possibly hints before. Remember they left themselves open to it by naming EQN EQN instead of EQ3.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I promise required grouping isn't what they are talking about. I could see some kind of properly implemented heroic oportunities nonsense though where, if I take a certain set of skills I really want my partner in crime to carry another certain set so we can set off combos ala ffxi. That would be some fun interdependence, though not what people on this board mean when they say it I guess.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Remember the term "Denial of Service". That is their excuse for not having systems in place that make it hard for a player to log in and instantly do whatever they want.... or in other words "Don't piss off the casuals". Required grouping will not be a part of EQNext.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Why are people so concerned about realistic graphics looking outdated? Half Life 2 came out 9 years ago and still looks great. I think there's a certain limit to how realistic graphics will become anyway. One of the developers said he wanted the game to look good 30 years from now and that's just silly.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
And they have already talked about and pretty much set in stone a class system that goes against it.
Because that's theonlyway to promote interdependence.

I swear, you guys are acting daft simply to be confrontational.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why are people so concerned about realistic graphics looking outdated? Half Life 2 came out 9 years ago and still looks great. I think there's a certain limit to how realistic graphics will become anyway. One of the developers said he wanted the game to look good 30 years from now and that's just silly.
They just don't know what they are talking about. You are right, realistic graphics can age just as well if the artists who do the work are good.

It is the artist's talent that decides longevity, not the style of the art. There is plenty of crappy cartoon art out there

I don't like EQNext's art style much, but the artists who did it are actually pretty good.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Go watch Snow White. I have no issue with the character graphics including the Kerran. I do have an issue with the Kerran's armor.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Remember the term "Denial of Service". That is their excuse for not having systems in place that make it hard for a player to log in and instantly do whatever they want.... or in other words "Don't piss off the casuals". Required grouping will not be a part of EQNext.
Which was hilarious, because iirc that comment was on human type players being blind at night in EQ. If something that small is denial, I am curious how far they will go to make sure no one is denied anything.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
And they also said torches will absolutely be required for deep dark dungeons. They just don't want completely new people logging in and being unable to play because they can't see jack shit because their monitors gamma setting doesn't go light enough.

Hugely important to us, the need to carry a torch and a light source, hugely important to us, but not to the level where you are not going to be able to play the game in the areas where you expect to be able to.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Any word if the weapons and armor are voxel also? Curious is it will degrade and change looks, also if when making weapon and armor if you can do changes to it on creation.
Rigging makes armor customization very very difficult. I've been working on this very problem for one of my own games, and some of the joints are so different you'd need some very specific per model & per joint algorithms to rig up anything with a bit of bend or flex.

Rigid stuff works but sometimes can smash into things when animated which is less of a problem.

Voxels have been used for characters... seems like it was a blade runner game from many years ago that tried it.