EQ Never

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No they don't. I'd prefer stylized graphics in EQ3. Like Tangled.
Your preference doesn't invalidate my statement. What you are saying is that all cartoons are better than all realistic art. Of course you are wrong.

It is the quality of the art, not the style that matters. There are quality realistic graphics and there are quality cartoons, both are made by artists with talent. It is the talentless hacks who's art doesn't last.

Keith Parkinson's art still rules.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
And I cant believe you just said that..
Chester was pretty good but I'm going to name the Kerran monk Hobbes. To generate maximum aggro. I just want you to know that your Avatar was my inspiration!

Also time to start the letter writing campaign to Smed for EQ2 to show him we are scherious!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I think the game looks fine, and tbh i think most everything they said was fine UNTIL they decided to mess with my beloved Trinity. I am sure they can find a way to do what guildwars 2 couldnt,....right?

That aside im surprised people are complaining about the visuals, they arent bad nor is it entirely cartoony either. If combat doesnt deliver like it sounds it wont, i will just have to skip it.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Your preference doesn't invalidate my statement. What you are saying is that all cartoons are better than all realistic art. Of course you are wrong.

It is the quality of the art, not the style that matters.
It goes to the animation. The stylized stuff just looks better animated. HL2 hasn't aged as well as you guys think, I think.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It goes to the animation. The stylized stuff just looks better animated. HL2 hasn't aged as well as you guys think, I think.
I just played HL2 and did the ahievements (stupid steam thing). I was amazed how good it still looked. And I would much rather play that than some idiot cartoon. But that is my personal preference, other people feel differently.

You need to recognize that your judgement is subjective in this. It is fine to like the art, but to then claim that that is the only way things should be is sadly myopic.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Which was hilarious, because iirc that comment was on human type players being blind at night in EQ. If something that small is denial, I am curious how far they will go to make sure no one is denied anything.
The other reason I want EQ3, I think EQN will be a lot harder than anyone thinks and like Vanillla WoW will get slowly nerfed to casual play. It's a problem when you get 10 million players and 9.5 million of them are casual.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did some dev or someone say something to spark all this eq3 talk? Or is that just people here dreaming?
Tard claims that someone asked a dev, and the dev didn't say "No, and you're retarded for even asking." So obviously it's a just as much of a sure thing as every other piece of Gospel that was spoken at SOE Live.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I just played HL2 and did the ahievements (stupid steam thing). I was amazed how good it still looked. And I would much rather play that than some idiot cartoon. But that is my personal preference, other people feel differently.

You need to recognize that your judgement is subjective in this. It is fine to like the art, but to then claim that that is the only way things should be is sadly myopic.
I've got no opinion on it with respect to all games, I am merely talking about MMOs which people can play for 14 years.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Did some dev or someone say something to spark all this eq3 talk? Or is that just people here dreaming?
Since @Melvin is writing FUD, let me clarify. At the Dev Brunch, Jeff Butler said that of the two previous versions, one was the hardcore EQ2 we were looking for. So, there was pushback by the fans at that table for EQ3. Butler was initially completely resistant to the idea but at the end of the discussion Butler stated that it "wouldn't be ruled out for the future." Again that may have been said just to shut up the fans, but maybe it was said because he was actually thinking about it.

@Melvin ProTip if you're going to call me a tard, I'd have stuck to something like my PvP overreach, where I fucked up or timeline because I won't explain why I think that's the eqn timeline.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've got no opinion on it with respect to all games, I am merely talking about MMOs which people can play for 14 years.
The cartoon graphics of games 14 years ago didn't age well either. Even WoW is updating their cartoon models with more polygons to make it more current and it isn't 14 years old.

PS2's realism looks very good now and will look just as good in 14 years as a cartoon made now, assuming the same level of artistic talent and number of polygons.

You have fallen for a myth. And I have proven you wrong at every turn. Just focus on the artistic talent of the actual artists and give up your preconceptions about what lasts and doesn't last.

I do think EQNext's character art will have longevity though, at least based on what little I have seen. But that is because the artists who have done the work have talent.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
You have fallen for a myth. And I have proven you wrong at every turn. Just focus on the artistic talent of the actual artists and give up your preconceptions about what lasts and doesn't last.
Go watch snow white and/or early south park and/or Scooby-do. Even crappy stylized art still looks good.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider

You have to be trolling.

Over the year's of a MMO's lifespan realistic graphics age, VERY quickly.

Even if you enjoy the more realistic graphics and don't mind a graphics update in your games every few year (nope people hate it and cling to the old models) the man power needed to make new models would be better spent improving the core game or coming out with new content.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You have to be trolling.

Over the year's of a MMO's lifespan realistic graphics age, VERY quickly.

Even if you enjoy the more realistic graphics and don't mind a graphics update in your games every few year (nope people hate it and cling to the old models) the man power needed to make new models would be better spent improving the core game or coming out with new content.
WoW's graphics didn't age well and that is why they are updating them. It works both ways. Get a clue.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Go watch snow white and/or early south park and/or Scooby-do. Even crappy stylized art still looks good.
Snow white isn't crappy art. Those were some of the most talented artists of the times. They worked on cartoons for cheap because of the depression. Scooby Doo sucked just as bad then as it does now.

All you have proven is that you don't have an eye for artistic talent.

Edit: This is getting nowhere. Back to the real discussion.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm pretty rustled nobody at SOElive asked about instancing or the economy.
If raids are capped at a size(as someone was told or led to believe) then they have to be instanced in some way(Traditional or phased). So you have them there. Does that extend to dungeons? Who knows.

I have no problems with the graphics, I think wildstar looks good and fun. I just can't help make fun of that lion head, it just looked so out of place :p

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Go look at half life 2s graphics, and realize that game won awards for best graphics in 04 when wow came out. It looks like dog shit now, prolly worse than WoW to most people at this point, but in 04 there was no debate that HL2 looked a million times better than WoW.