EQ Never

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
"MOOOOOOM! Can I use your credit card agaaaain? I need a healing potion.... and unlock a chest... Moooooooooom?!"

I'm not sure f2p works as well on a title geared toward younger players as a sub title did (WoW) vs one geared toward more mature players, who, you know, have their own credit card.

When I was like 14, and EQ launched, the amount of shit I had to go throw (Paint the fucking house, clean out the attic and garage, help reroof the house) to get my Dad to put that $9.95 fee on his credit card was enough. I can't imagine people getting their folks to buy them pumpkin hats and xp pots every few days

tad10

Elisha Dushku
You seriously think SOE is designing a game with no long-term interest or goals? This is the company that dreamt up Vex Thal keys. They know how to steal your hours away and I don't think this game is going to be as easy as everyone assumes it will be just by the number of classes.
As I said, I'm surprised that the gamers in this crowd are getting blinded by their salty tears.

Carl_sl

shitlord
As I said, I'm surprised that the gamers in this crowd are getting blinded by their salty tears.
It is admittedly tough to see past the departure from their past games., however if combat is done in a fun way, I'll probably play this game for a long while.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I'm down. I don't think it'll happen, but I'm with you.

There was a dedicated group of Earthbound players. They had a website called Starman.net or something, anyway they got a real book, a fucking scrap book, and got like 10,000 signatures or something in a petition to make a Earthbound (Mother) Sequel that was already like half complete. They sent these hand packaged, hand written collections of letters and shit to like Nintendo of Japan, Nintendo of America, and the guy who created mother.

They were told to go suck a box of dicks.
"MOOOOOOM! Can I use your credit card agaaaain? I need a healing potion.... and unlock a chest... Moooooooooom?!"

I'm not sure f2p works as well on a title geared toward younger players as a sub title did (WoW) vs one geared toward more mature players, who, you know, have their own credit card.

When I was like 14, and EQ launched, the amount of shit I had to go throw (Paint the fucking house, clean out the attic and garage, help reroof the house) to get my Dad to put that $9.95 fee on his credit card was enough. I can't imagine people getting their folks to buy them pumpkin hats and xp pots every few days
Runescape.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
The problem is everyone is working off of unknowns. They could release a detailed video complete with PDF file of mechanics data tomorrow that would quell all of the salty tears. Or make it worse. Who knows. We will get more data points to examine this week. I'm putting my bets on more tears. Thats what happens when you put a bunch of devs in a black box where they are susceptible to groupthink and their ideas are not met with the daylight of public scrutiny.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, EQN should do well. It's just not what some of us want long term is all. But who knows.. They might make it deep enough. We really can't say either way..That said we need to start our boycott of EQ, EQ2 and VG! lol

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Since I'm an old fucker and played every iteration of EQ, I'm in a quandary about the type of server to play on. Now I know they haven't said anything about this but it's a good bet that there will be PvE, PvP, and RP type servers.

I've started EQ on a PvE server, Played WoW on a PvP server and since EQN could be the next game I play for a while, I might give a RP server a try.

PvE, PvP or RP?

Carl_sl

shitlord
Since I'm an old fucker and played every iteration of EQ, I'm in a quandary about the type of server to play on. Now I know they haven't said anything about this but it's a good bet that there will be PvE, PvP, and RP type servers.

I've started EQ on a PvE server, Played WoW on a PvP server and since EQN could be the next game I play for a while, I might give a RP server a try.

PvE, PvP or RP?
PVPRP: Hardcore.

I'd like to play this game on a PVP server if they really are trying to make this league of legends style and actually pull off good pvp

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
You are behind this project because of the time you spent slithering around with the developers at their lame conference. What kind of money will these 15 yr olds be dropping? All the cash from their newspaper routes? Their Chuck E Cheese allowance?

Even if you somehow hornswaggled all the kids/teenagers with access to their parents credit cards into playing EQNext, what would the incentive be to spend money on a game that has little long term interest?

The easy solution would be to scrap the combat/classes/mechanics/obnoxious spell effects/DigDug mini game and develop EQ3 with their 'emergent AI'. I dont see why they made things this hard on themselves. Virtually no positive reception from players...only some lame online gaming sites claiming "Best of Show". I will enjoy watching SOE spiral into oblivion as they march onwards with this atrocity. By all initial reactions...this is going to be a massive failure.
Completely delusional. Immediately goes for the "this game is for kids" bullshit. Just pulls "facts" out of his ass. Registered recently.

Hi qwerty. So much for being "done with this place" eh champ?

bayr_sl

shitlord
Hey guys check the news feeds, an mmo has generated hype with its announcement, surely this means it will be a blockbuster hit

You are behind this project because of the time you spent slithering around with the developers at their lame conference. What kind of money will these 15 yr olds be dropping? All the cash from their newspaper routes? Their Chuck E Cheese allowance?

Even if you somehow hornswaggled all the kids/teenagers with access to their parents credit cards into playing EQNext, what would the incentive be to spend money on a game that has little long term interest?

The easy solution would be to scrap the combat/classes/mechanics/obnoxious spell effects/DigDug mini game and develop EQ3 with their 'emergent AI'. I dont see why they made things this hard on themselves. Virtually no positive reception from players...only some lame online gaming sites claiming "Best of Show". I will enjoy watching SOE spiral into oblivion as they march onwards with this atrocity. By all initial reactions...this is going to be a massive failure.
This is so fucking stupid it makes my head hurt. How far detached from reality are you?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I agree with the sentiment that the worst thing SoE did was put the word 'Everquest' anywhere in the title of this game. By doing that, they are doomed to fail because the old school crowd has specific expectations which in reality are probably impossible to achieve.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree with the sentiment that the worst thing SoE did was put the word 'Everquest' anywhere in the title of this game. By doing that, they are doomed to fail because the old school crowd has specific expectations which in reality are probably impossible to achieve.
SoE knows how to get the Old school players dollars. They are not so worried about us. This game if released in a playable form and close to what they are saying should do very well.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Without it no one would give a shit. Seriously look at this board. Literally lost it's shit over a tech demo. Discussing this game like it's actually coming out in the near future or has any real solid features other then destructible enviroments.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
The "old school crowd" isn't big enough to make anything fail. Even if every single EQ1 fan decides not to play this game it won't make any difference. This game is appealing to a market that dwarfs the old school crowd. If this appeals to LoL players at all then their potential market base even dwarfs WoW. Like it or not the EQ fan club was never a consideration for this game. Which is what people were trying to explain before the game was even shown. People were saying to manage your expectations because this game was ALWAYS going to be designed with the greatest number of customers possible in mind.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
PVPRP: Hardcore.

I'd like to play this game on a PVP server if they really are trying to make this league of legends style and actually pull off good pvp
Yeah if you're going to play this game, you kinda have to play on a PvP server. But I think all servers are going to be RP servers according to the SB boys.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
They stated in the panels that mining, tunneling, etc was currently functional and "in game", I wonder why they didn't showcase it?