EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
They stated in the panels that mining, tunneling, etc was currently functional and "in game", I wonder why they didn't showcase it?
They are revealing stuff at Gamescon and Pax. That's in like two weeks and four weeks. Or whatever.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Their actual main problem was their build up to the show
then revealing shit that actually matters other than the "hey here's
some minecraft in with your EQ".

PVP ? Can't answer that.
Classes ? Can't answer that.
Rulesets for servers? Can't answer that.
Anything actually gameplay related ? Can't answer that. But we fucking hate healers.

They shouldn't have built it up to be the big reveal until they
actaully were ready to reveal something.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I dunno maybe it means nothing but seeing those mobs just sit there and do nothing while they were being attack just seemed like a huge indicator the game is SO far from being even close to playable.. It honestly looked like it was a demo you'd pitch to someone to fund the rest.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I dunno maybe it means nothing but seeing those mobs just sit there and do nothing while they were being attack just seemed like a huge indicator the game is SO far from being even close to playable.. It honestly looked like it was a demo you'd pitch to someone to fund the rest.
The EQ1 alpha footage everyone keeps posting to calm jimmies was exactly that, it was made exclusively to show to shareholders.. and that had a dude fighting Nagafan.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That's never stopped them from releasing a game before

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah if you're going to play this game, you kinda have to play on a PvP server. But I think all servers are going to be RP servers according to the SB boys.
good luck with that if youre chasing the dota crowd

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The "old school crowd" isn't big enough to make anything fail. Even if every single EQ1 fan decides not to play this game it won't make any difference. This game is appealing to a market that dwarfs the old school crowd. If this appeals to LoL players at all then their potential market base even dwarfs WoW. Like it or not the EQ fan club was never a consideration for this game. Which is what people were trying to explain before the game was even shown. People were saying to manage your expectations because this game was ALWAYS going to be designed with the greatest number of customers possible in mind.
I don't disagree, but this also explains why they would never make an EQ3 or EQ: Reskinned. There isn't enough market share to warrant it.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah this EQ3 thing is a pipedream. Your best hope is that they're able to gather enough slaves from Landmark to make a subset of EQN into that for you.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
PVP ? Can't answer that.
Classes ? Can't answer that.
Rulesets for servers? Can't answer that.
Anything actually gameplay related ? Can't answer that. But we fucking hate healers.
Can't and aren't are two very different words and I think maybe you should look them up.

You don't blow your entire content load at the alpha reveal.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Your bird lied to you. Smack her a little.
He's probably not correct, but you don't necessarily know different at this point. It looked woefully incomplete.

I'd personally expect around November of 2014 at earliest. And I could easily buy q1 2015 because of the level of ideas they're going after.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
What defines "Everquest"?

To me EQ is a massively multiplayer online role playing game that is set on the planet of Norrath. It features races such as Humans, Elves, Gnomes, Trolls, Ogres and Iksar. There is a history in which the Ring of Scale, Shissar, Combine Empire, Venril Sathir, etc. play major roles and where Gods and different Planes are a major influence.

Nothing in my worldview discredits a game with destructible environments, multiclassing, or Rally Calls from being "Everquest". Indeed when I played EQ I was very keen on the ways in which the world was effected by long term change. There were hints with things like Paineel emerging and the Hole being discovered or the opening up of Kunark and Velious...but these were all just expansions and the rest of the world stayed depressingly static and made it seem less real. To that extent I would think the promise of Real Change and constant evolution would make a game MORE like Everquest than not.

Now of course a great many things depend on the actual implementation of their ideas, but even I can see many ways in which the skeleton they have outlined can become a VERY revolutionary title and reinvigorate the whole MMORPG genre. Certainly what they have sketched sounds more like a place to go and want to be rather than a game I boot up just so I can sit in town waiting for the evening's raid.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Can't and aren't are two very different words and I think maybe you should look them up.

You don't blow your entire content load at the alpha reveal.
They specifically said they wanted to save some reveals for Gamescon, PAX, etc.

Marketing wants a constant news stream, I'm sure.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
He's probably not correct, but you don't necessarily know different at this point. It looked woefully incomplete.
I'd say that any info I might or might not have was so up in the air because of the SP cartoon above that I might as well not have any info. But I'm pretty comfortable with saying prior to March 2016.

I will add that the example of the "Founding of Halas" Rallying Call should have given you guys a clue as to what kind of state EQN will be at release.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I don't disagree, but this also explains why they would never make an EQ3 or EQ: Reskinned. There isn't enough market share to warrant it.
Yeah I doubt we ever see EQ reskinned, or hardcore EQ3. However, their idea of making art assets in EQ:L is probably not a bad idea. If some really talented people start making some amazing stuff from EQ1 then maybe it could happen. It would take some serious dedication from a lot of people to pull off though. SOE wouldn't even consider it until there was TONS of professional grade stuff available for them.

I think the kick in the balls for those people will come when SOE uses those designs in EQ:N though. That would be some comedy gold.
tongue.png

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd love to be in a Titan development meeting now. Say whatever you want about EQN, it did through down a bit of a creative gauntlet. Blizzard and SoE are still the heavyweights in the genre. Could be an interesting few years that might just redefine things a bit.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
yea, that bugged me too, as i was watching the reveal, i was like.. umm are the mobs just going to stand there like bowling pings for him to run though. Admittedly he was demo'ing an ability to plow through mobs... but when has anyone ever seen mobs line up perfectly for a running shield bash attack....

Regardless, should not have the name EQ, behind it, totally agree. Perhaps "Heroes Adventures" as a new IP for them and keep EQ3 producing in the background.