EQ Never

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The difficulty in early raids in EQ came from coordinating that many people, many who had never seriously gamed before and had never raided anything before. Throw in crappy dial up connections, short duration buffs/no group buffs so that you buffed and logged out to chat and then back in at once so everyone could be buffed for the fight - that was the challenge.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Come on Rezz.. you've been on here so long you could answer your own questions:-(

What I love about EQN are things I would love to see in EQ3. What they are attempting to do with AI, storybricks. destructible world(although I would use the tech differently as destroying the world just b/c doesn't appeal to me).. Those things fit in EQ3. You're asking for things to be improved upon but some of us don't think certain features need improving. Maybe just minor tweaks to what people perceive as punishing but doesn't eliminate that feature all together.

For instance, I've mentioned in the past that just adding solutions to issues using trade skills could alleviate features. Take CR's. You die somewhere, can't get help getting your corpse or can't find a Rezz(no pun) What if there was a tradeskill recipe that allowed crafters to make a survival pack? Gave you a 1 shot corpse summon/rezz? Make the components rare enough that the pack would be expensive for the player to buy. So that punishing feeling is still there just in another form plus it helps crafting and the economy. Don't remove the feature find work arounds that give back to the game in another way. Player fucked up.. He may not feel it as much in his time but he'll feel it in his pocket. That fear in the game still exist.
Convo, I am positive that I have stated that you -aren't- part of the people I am questioning. You have actual thoughts on what could/should/might be better in most cases, and I have +'d you because of that. I was specifically referring to the people who just go "EQ" and then nothing when it comes to progression. Examples being Qwerty/Laura/Supertouch/Dumar et al. Even Etchazz (while still ignored) has stated some progressive ideas and I applaud that. The other guys seem to just say "EQ and then some!" but fail to qualify by what "and then some" actually means. Which is where most of us have issues, in that it is hard to envision a game that is the same but better without incorporating changes that the Reskinned folk abhor. And they fail, across the board, to articulate ideas that haven't been done or ideas that sound fucking terrible (longer spawntimes!) in order to rectify the EQ and then some concept. They really do appear to just want EQ with a new coat of paint. At least, that is what it appears to us observers.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So if they had literally done eq with new graphics and maybe big fixes, would they be happy then? It comes back to the "we want a NEW world with harsh penalties, BUT DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING." And maybe EQN won't have the penalties they want. We'll see q1 2015 (my sarcastic guess)

Malkav

French Madman
Concerning class swapping and buffs...

I'm seeing people like that saying "if changing class wipes your current buffs, it's ok."

Where the hell did you people get the assumption that it would fucking not do that?

Every fucking MMO to this day that had class switching (Rift, FFXIV), wiped your fucking buffs when you did it, and there is absolutely no fucking reason to do it any other way.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I don't remember EQ being really hard raid wise.

Shheeeeeeettt. the Vymmn(sp) fight in ToV was supposed to be the hardest? What did he do? throwback? Just find the right wall to have your tanks against and have your clerics time the CHs from around the corner iirc.

Groups could be hard and challenging though.. If you had a good puller making you work and competent other players, you could have a blast in places like Dragon Necro... and yeah.. the fear of dying was real.. because it was going to take a while to convince some necro to run out there and summon your corpse back.. but that was part of the fun!

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Buff wipe or not doesnt matter on class change. If its to convenient, especially for travelling spells, we will still see everyone moving around with SoW.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It's true that EQ's basic raid structure wasn't difficult. Every fight was a glorified "tank and spank" with a few extras thrown in for good measure.
AE's that damaged the entire raid was one of them.
Mobs self healing was another
Mobs without AE that just did crazy amounts of damage output was a 3rd.

If your group was exceptionally well coordinated and you could get a target into a good location to kill it while minimizing AE damage to everyone involved, that would be your best bet.

The other factor that came into play was just how quickly your guild was able to mobilize and take out a boss that spawned.
You needed to have adequate gear to survive an encounter, which means that to do high end, you had to farm lower end. And in many cases, servers like my own would continue to farm important lower end items, just to keep them out of the hands of a rival guild. Things like threat weapons for your tanks.

It gave us the edge and you couldn't really compete without them.

The Emperor fight in Ssra was probably my favorite. There were a lot of things going on there.
1.) Mobs that had to be mezzed
2.) Mobs that had to be off-tanked
3.) Raid required pecial weapons to do melee damage to the boss.

If 1 or 2 failed, the group wiped.
If 3 wasn't sufficient, raid would wipe due to 1 and 2 running out of mana.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't think there was a genuinely hard raid in EQ until Overlord Mata MUram and that was long after most of the EQ Rose-colored-glasses-wearing-motherfuckers had long since left the game. Everquest was never hard. It was slow. There's a difference. That time it took to do things and the time you lost when you failed made it have a bigger impact, I agree. It wasn't hard, though.

Siliconemelons

It's true that EQ's basic raid structure wasn't difficult. Every fight was a glorified "tank and spank" with a few extras thrown in for good measure.
AE's that damaged the entire raid was one of them.
Mobs self healing was another
Mobs without AE that just did crazy amounts of damage output was a 3rd.

If your group was exceptionally well coordinated and you could get a target into a good location to kill it while minimizing AE damage to everyone involved, that would be your best bet.

The other factor that came into play was just how quickly your guild was able to mobilize and take out a boss that spawned.
You needed to have adequate gear to survive an encounter, which means that to do high end, you had to farm lower end. And in many cases, servers like my own would continue to farm important lower end items, just to keep them out of the hands of a rival guild. Things like threat weapons for your tanks.

It gave us the edge and you couldn't really compete without them.

The Emperor fight in Ssra was probably my favorite. There were a lot of things going on there.
1.) Mobs that had to be mezzed
2.) Mobs that had to be off-tanked
3.) Raid required pecial weapons to do melee damage to the boss.

If 1 or 2 failed, the group wiped.
If 3 wasn't sufficient, raid would wipe due to 1 and 2 running out of mana.
Loved that fight, loved that zone!

Being a SK I would always be an off tank, but after a short time my hate was insane and I would go over and beat on emp while the snake dude I had to off tank beat on me- I was an early bane weapon person and we did not have everyone with a weapon so my 2h bane sword deeps where something- plus lifetaps and crap. Also the, high priest? was it? that was fun also... hell I loved all the ssra encounters.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Eq was like good sex. You dont want it to be RAMMING SPEED all the time.
Sometimes, a lill bit of slow playing, with Barry White playing in the back, softly clicking your mana burn and touching your tranquil staff was all you needed for orgasmic gameplay.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Look at this item btw.
rrr_img_39597.png

Where are the + bazillion STR, + a meelleion DEX + AGI by the bucket stats are.
That item had zilch, zero, nada stats, yet was oh so badass. Thats what good item design should be. If i see a purple with + 1000100101 STR in EQnext, ill puke.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Look at this item btw.
rrr_img_39597.png

Where are the + bazillion STR, + a meelleion DEX + AGI by the bucket stats are.
That item had zilch, zero, nada stats, yet was oh so badass. Thats what good item design should be. If i see a purple with + 1000100101 STR in EQnext, ill puke.
Yes, but the stats had grown quite a bit within the next year of that item coming out and now they are even more. I came back to EQ a couple years ago for about a year and raided. Here's what those stats looked like. I imagine they are just higher now.

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/736

My main point being that those who pine for old EQ have to realize thatevenEQ started removing many of the things those people loved. Why would they expect the same company to make a new game with those old features they made efforts to remove as ideas and tech evolved?

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
You've brought up lack of downtime a few times here, but have they actually said anything about what downtime will look like? I don't recall it coming up in any of the panel videos.
From Planetside 2 experience, downtime will be classic SOE. Don't plan to play on patch days. Expect bizarre bugs after patch day. But we'll deal with it, because the game is crazy fun. If we'relucky, some bugs will work in ourfavor
wink.png

Edit:
Lol. Totally misread the OP. Too early in the morning.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
From Planetside 2 experience, downtime will be classic SOE. Don't plan to play on patch days. Expect bizarre bugs after patch day. But we'll deal with it, because the game is crazy fun. If we'relucky, some bugs will work in ourfavor
wink.png
I think he means downtime as in recovering from battles, etc.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
It's funny because all my "EQ was hard" talk is born from the rise to 50, not the raiding. I love the idea of raiding, I just find it hard to have the time to do it. For me, it's more that each enemy is a battle rather than the idea of defeating waves of enemies. It also has to do with the danger of exploring a map and taking a wrong turn, leading your noob self into a zone of hate and pain and guards that wanted to see you dead (goons in OT for us good folk). Roamers like Sand Giants and Cazel could wreck shop in an otherwise pretty awesome leveling environment.

That's more what I mean, not the raid part.

It's not like EQN can't provide some of that, so we'll see.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, you definitely had to be aware of your surroundings.

The whole "face-roll" comment people keep saying is really stupid though. As leveling monk pre-Kunark, I literally just stood there and hit asinglebutton every few seconds during combat. If new games are "face-roll" combat, then EQ was paraplegic. However, to this day, nothing beats pulling in Everquest from pre-Kunark to Luclin. Those were my favorite days/memories of EQ as a monk. I do miss that.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The no class deal I see a downside as well s they way they seem to be doing loot. The most sought after items in EQ were class specific or at least role specific and those items are what kept a huge number of people playing session after session in hopes of getting that great item before it was gone or no longer useful.

The idea of looting something I can make specific to me or crafting something is ho hum at best. YAY I got a token!

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Most of my EQ opinions are based on experiences up to Luclin (not so much through). From there I played in fragments of time even up through today. I spent so, so, so much of my time in the Kunark and Velious days though.