EQ Never

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So if they have initial classes at release and others are added thru whatever means will they be entirely new classes or like subclasses/prestige classes?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I remember them mentioning Tempest which was a lighting mage of sorts so that is throwing me if wizard is a starting class as well.
Yeah there could be no 'Wizard' class - just a bunch of different wizard archetypes like the Tempest. So totally possible no 'cleric' or 'wizard' in starting group because they don't actually exist as separate classes in the game.

@BigFlex interesting and they never gave a specific example of a heal spell at SOELive so possible, though I'll go with possible but improbable sans further info.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So if they have initial classes at release and others are added thru whatever means will they be entirely new classes or like subclasses/prestige classes?
There are a few 'sub-class' types - they said you will need rogue before you can get assassin. Otherwise, no difference between starting classes and other classes. If you start as a warrior, you can later on get the rogue class through the game or one of the other 38 classes.

So you could start warrior, earn rogue, and then later earn assassin. Or start warrior, earn blademaster, earn rogue, earn tempest, yada yada yada.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
The median age of the EQ population at SOE Live seemed in the 40s. If they think those players can play a game with combat as fast paced as league (EQN looks like Smite tbh) then they are completely ignoring those right in their face.
I don't think the 500,000 core legacy Everquest players are their actual target audience, though.

To quote Cardinal Glick: Hook them while they're young!

Also, the game will be multi faceted.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not a whole lot of released information, just speculation on classes/release schedule. They hinted that you open up questlines that allow you to unlock classes depending on how you interact with the environment/npcs/players/et al. Then you further unlock abilities/traits for those classes as you progress through tiers of content as those classes. How they add others to the system is probably the same and in the same vein. With additional class progression by adding more tiers to each class.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
there is no way that all items will be "free". I just started playing EQ2 for shiggles while i have nothing else to play right now, and a chest dropped and in it was a legendary ring... which i can't wear because i need to upgrade my subscription, you really think this train of thought will not be around for EQN? Especially when it seems that abilities will be based on your weapons.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
On heals, I just assumed they would have something like GW2 (I think) where everyone had a self heal but it doesn't look like that's the case with the whole Movement, Utility, Offence, Defence setup for "Class Abilities." I remain confused.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
there is no way that all items will be "free". I just started playing EQ2 for shiggles while i have nothing else to play right now, and a chest dropped and in it was a legendary ring... which i can't wear because i need to upgrade my subscription, you really think this train of thought will not be around for EQN? Especially when it seems that abilities will be based on your weapons.
Gold subs for EQN?Never!Probably.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Am I the only person with abject hatred for any fucker on a rascal that isn't a goddamn, non-diabetic amputee?

Put down the goddamn donut and eat some salad fucker. I am disgusted.

I really hope classes aren't on the cash shop. I also agree with Tads list, though I'm gunning straight for a SK ASAP. I'm hoping some skills get blocked out based on class "use" as in you can't use certain pally skills for being a SK. Would allow freedom with a smidge of that "so-called" identity. (Even though that identity is something I waver on being a bullshit concept if they make skills sufficiently difficult to obtain all of them.)

tad10

Elisha Dushku
There are alternatives to tanks and mob ping pong. How would you solve it?
I suspect they're (SB & SOE) are trying to put in old-style AD&D combat where the DM ran the Dragon/Orcs intelligently. Healing was pretty limited back in the day and it was heavily positional. We'll see how well that works.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I wonder how much more nickel and diming will be in place by the time EQN enters beta. You might actually have to pay dinero to get a key to open a crate, a la TF2.

Ratonga? 500 Station Credits. Extra Bag space? 750 Credits. In my one day of playing EQ2 I think I've seen a few dozen popups for purchasables. No sub means a lot of different avenues for revenue will probably be used.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Am I the only person with abject hatred for any fucker on a rascal that isn't a goddamn, non-diabetic amputee?
If you don't have a combat action ribbon and purple heart you should have to crawl or roll around on an under car creeper.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Ratonga? 500 Station Credits. Extra Bag space? 750 Credits. In my one day of playing EQ2 I think I've seen a few dozen popups for purchasables. No sub means a lot of different avenues for revenue will probably be used.
Vibe was no paying for races/classes. Bag space maybe, but they want people to start playing the game, so there will be no roadblocks like paying for Ratonga or Trolls - but fat troll cosmetic skin? Why not.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm guessing the people who want to go back to Eq "difficulty" are just terrible players who can't make it in games today, but were considered good when time invested was the only factor

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm guessing the people who want to go back to Eq "difficulty" are just terrible players who can't make it in games today, but were considered good when time invested was the only factor
I'd say you're right. Had a couple that I played WoW on up with that pined for EQ and they said it was simply they were willing to spend any amount of time to do anything and get ahead.

Now I understand that more time = better, but you can so that with skill also. FPS, football, and even fucking chess players that spend "more time" are usually better but its not because they could just afford the time sink, it because that time went to honing a skill. If you make the combat sufficiently difficult, you can still reward time for practicing and efficiency. In some ways this is where WoW is now. They just doled out retard modes to hide it.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Just a random thought to add...

Looking at the cross section of the world showing the tiers, it seems the thickness of the layers is fairly significant... like, mining a hole to the next level might cost you a pretty significant chunk of time. Hopefully they also have a system where you actually have to put somewhere the stuff you mine. (Good question to ask, are voxels in the game world like matter, where they cant ever really be destroyed, but take another form, and occupy equal space.)

That leads me to think that the thin parts of the world are generated when something interesting develops underneath it.

Just a small point..but >shrug<

spronk

FPS noob
interesting interview
http://www.eqhammer.com/interview/ex...dave-georgeson

article_sl said:
EQHammer: In Guild Wars 2 they had originally looked at allowing characters to scale both up and down in levels so that all content was playable at all times. Obviously they altered that for the game launch, so you can go back and replay things, but you still have that hard level cap and can basically run out of content intended for max level play.

Dave: There is no endgame in EverQuest Next, so that kind of issue just doesn't exist. What happens is that there are all kinds of challenges that are out there, and they need more or less players to overcome them. And then there are just all kinds of wild stories and adventures for you to play.

Playing this game is different than playing other MMOs. You're not just grinding up to max level and then playing in the max level raids. We have games like that; they already exist so we're building something else. We want to get back to those roots of exploring, adventuring, making friends, and overcoming these different challenges.
Sounds really good on paper, but GW2 said pretty much the exact same thing.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I remember them mentioning Tempest which was a lighting mage of sorts so that is throwing me if wizard is a starting class as well.
The tempest was actually shown in the reveal and its a lightning damage based melee character, possibly wearing leather armor that has the option of wielding a 2h sword.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'd say you're right.
And I am reminded why I have Ambi on ignore ;-) Thanks big C!. I don't think anyone on this board disagrees that getting a small group of skilled players to accomplish a difficult test is harder than former EQ zerg raiding. On the other hand, MMOs also have a social element, and I'd rather an easier large raid with a nice 40 year old Mom who is pleasant over mumble or in chat, than group/raid with a bunch of l33t LOL cocksuckers who might be uber-skilled but are asshats in chat or mumble.