EQ Never

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
yes! let's make a new everquest game and completely alienate everyone who actually remembers and gives a shit about the IP! what a great business decision by sony! anyone who defends this level of retardation should kill themselves.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
While personally I hate that Innoruuk was discarded(as well as quite a few others), I just don't understand the need for it. There is no good reason to fuck with the lore this much unless they are lazy or just trying to make a quick buck. I'd rather DEs be a later entry race 6 months down the road than to be a starting shit race. Why couldn't the DEs have been stolen by Innoruuk while they were trying to save the other elves?
At the risk of negs, objectively speaking I actually think the change (from what little we know) is an improvement over the old lore, in some ways. The original EverQuest lore was kind of convoluted, and generic in many ways. In the revision, the gods are a bit more complicated - and the duality of their nature makes them a bit more interesting and not as one-dimensional. I have reservations about one starting city, but they can redeem themselves if player actions once you leave the city really determine your place in the world (and there's actually consequences for actions).

That said, from a personal and nostalgic viewpoint, it really fucking blows to see the most iconic gods disappear (I would consider Bristlebane and Innoruuk among them). I don't see why Innoruuk couldn't be the god of Death (instead of Anashti) and Bristlebane the god of Thieves (instead of Talyn?). Sure they wouldn't be exactly as they were in the original, but it would have been a much better service to the fans.

Off-topic, I was looking for a picture of Bertoxxulous just to stir up some good 'ole nostalgia, and I see this as under a 'related search' for Mithaniel Marr:

~sfw threads

Hah. Some weird fucking people out there.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
yes! let's make a new everquest game and completely alienate everyone who actually remembers and gives a shit about the IP! what a great business decision by sony! anyone who defends this level of retardation should kill themselves.
While I sorta understand this position on the other hand, how many of these people who gives a shit still puts money in Sony's pocket as far as EQ is concerned? The masses deserted their posts many years ago, so regardless of how I feel or anyone else does in this paticular matter Sony owes no one a damn thing when creating EQN.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I don't mind some changes to the lore it's the fact there are so many of them that's the problem. Nothing wrong with a little simplification but this is a little crazy.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
That said, from a personal and nostalgic viewpoint, it really fucking blows to see the most iconic gods disappear (I would consider Bristlebane and Innoruuk among them). I don't see why Innoruuk couldn't be the god of Death (instead of Anashti) and Bristlebane the god of Thieves (instead of Talyn?).
I can understand the removal of Innoruuk. I mean, how do you make the god of hate more neutral? He even hated his own creations! In the new pantheon they've created, Innoruuk just doesn't work. He wouldn't work as the god of death either, since he's basically the guy who runs around screaming "FUCK YOU!". In the original lore he only made the dark elves and trolls because he wasn't invited to Norrath by the other gods to create a race. So he corrupted what other gods created as a big "FUCK YOU" to them.

Bristlebane is kind of puzzling to me though. He was the god of trickery and partying, which is already neutral.

Anashti is in there to draw the EQII crowd, as she's a relatively big player in EQII, and isn't really evil (even if she did create the undead in Norrath).

As for why all these changes to the lore, we should really get Bill Trost on the line. He's the guy who invented all this shit in the first place, and he's the guy charge of rebooting it for EQN.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
While I sorta understand this position on the other hand, how many of these people who gives a shit still puts money in Sony's pocket as far as EQ is concerned? The masses deserted their posts many years ago, so regardless of how I feel or anyone else does in this paticular matter Sony owes no one a damn thing when creating EQN.
do you understand that there are literally tens of thousands (if not more) of players out there who played the original EQ and have been waiting for this game for years? they should be catering to players like us because we're the ones who played everquest for 5 or more years and aren't going to be the masses of modern day morons who will play the game for a month and then move on to the next shiny thing on the horizon. but hey, that formula of catering to the least common denominator has worked so well over the last decade, they should probably follow the same path!

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Good posts Teekey and Jarnin but it really removes a lot of the relevance of the gods which EQ2 already tried and it must have failed(since they reinstated them). I don't truly buy the gods become more relevant by doing less in a world. Honestly, ancient 'deities' of the earth were much more relevant and prevalent when man had no clue WTF lightning really was or why crops failed. Having Mithaniel Marr be the god of several things doesn't make him more powerful or interesting in this case but more generic. Changing Bristlebane because we 'need less sausage' doesn't scream well thought out decision to me.

Sony doesn't owe us anything but how hard is it to keep some of the work you've already invested? How many truly intelligent builders tear everything down in a rebuild or reboot? Especially your own original projects? Talk about shitting on your own ideas. Some change is acceptable and commendable. Throwing shit out because the sausage level has risen to level 6.7 and you wanted 6.6 sounds stupid.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
do you understand that there are literally tens of thousands (if not more) players out there who played the original EQ and have been waiting for this game for years? they should be catering to players like us because we're the ones who played everquest for 5 or more years and aren't going to be the masses of modern day morons who will play the game for a month and then move on to the next shiny thing on the horizon. but hey, that formula of catering to the least common denominator has worked so well over the last decade, they should probably follow the same path!
Incorrect.

None of us who played the original EQ who now have kids/wife/career play mmo's anymore.

Didn't you get the memo ?

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I don't mind some changes to the lore it's the fact there are so many of them that's the problem. Nothing wrong with a little simplification but this is a little crazy.
Don't know if simplification is the right word for it; fewer gods, but evidently going for more fleshed-out personas for them, as well as the faiths around them. And looking at the timeline they were describing, it's looking more like a history based around the interaction of various factions who don't fall into simple categories of good and evil (well, except maybe the shissar), rather than 90% of the history being "...and then this new god appeared and did X (usually creating a race). Why? Because fuck you, he's a god."

Don't know what I'd call it, but simplified doesn't seem the right word.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Things that made EQ great can't be duplicated ever again sorry but that's just a fact. I remember my buddy telling me about this great game and after finally getting it downloaded and entered my first online world, It was hook, line, and sinker. When he told me all those dwarves running were actually real people I lost my mind. I remember thinking Druids were God like after my first port. All those fun nights in Unrest ( my favorite zone in any game ever). My first death somewhere between Kelethin and Orc Hill and forgetting where I died and spending a couple hours looking for my corpse because I didn't know to fucking bind. Those are all examples of things that can never be reproduced. I just hope EQN can give me more memories that will last as long as the ones EQ gave me.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
They cut what they felt was the chaff, and expanded upon the remaining to give them more relevance. Streamlined towards their goal, but not towards the original EQ's pantheon that we remember.

Still say F'em for taking out my desk's god, but simplifying isn't really what they did.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Old Pantheon:

rrr_img_40498.jpg

New Pantheon:

rrr_img_40499.jpg

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Old Pantheon:

rrr_img_40498.jpg

New Pantheon:

rrr_img_40499.jpg
Nice but i'd have the first image be the DeLorean DMC-12 from Back to the Future. One car is neat and futuristic but the other one lets you go back in time. I know which one is worth more to me
wink.png

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Nice but i'd have the first image be the DeLorean DMC-12 from Back to the Future. One car is neat and futuristic but the other one lets you go back in time. I know which one is worth more to me
wink.png
That sounds like you were happy with a the demi-god Druzzil Ro fucking with the timeline and the gods, which resulted in the creation of the Everquest II timeline.

Heretic.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
That sounds like you were happy with a the demi-god Druzzil Ro fucking with the timeline and the gods, which resulted in the creation of the Everquest II timeline.

Heretic.
Lol, nice comeback. I wasn't and the lore isn't a deal breaker for me but I don't find it to be a great idea either. I don't like guns and renaissance versions of my EQ either but maybe this thing will help make EQ3. As long as it's fun I will be playing it but I do think they are trying too hard to be the next 'big thing'. Honestly, since SB and Voxel Farm are subcontracted to help them make a large portion of the game, i'd like to see them show some competence themselves beyond 'we have LoL-MMO yeah!' Lore would have been a nice way to show this.

Couloir_sl

shitlord
I've been following along with this shit-show sincethis postwas mentioned on reddit. It's been a rather interesting and mildly amusing read. Thanks for the entertainment.

Having gone back to find that post, I thought this last part was pretty funny in retrospect:

Flipmode_sl said:
It's already in friends and family alpha/beta. After SOE live, beta will begin early Aug/late Sept. they are trying to launch Nov/Dec. the latest this game will launch is Feb/March time frame. They are much farther along then they let on and that's part of their surprise.
Heh, so much for that.

So perhaps I'll just try and jump in on the conversation of the hour. From what I know at this point, here's my guess as to how it's gonna go down:

All the playable races have had to band together to ensure their mutual survival, so they didn't get wiped out by the dragons, or the lizard men, right? So everybody is all buddy buddy at the start, but there will be plenty of differences of opinion, and some races won't particularly care for one another. I suspect that underground factions of dissenting characters quickly emerge in the storyline, and that you can align yourself with them if you choose to, but on the surface evil characters will have to cooperate and 'play nice' at first, or else the combine forces aren't able to establish a foothold on the continent and progress the story.

So maybe you can't be an outright bad guy right from the get go, but behind the scenes you can begin your shady ways, and once the combine nation or whatever establishes itself, I'm imagining that the differences of opinion on what to do next/who should be in charge/etc. intensify to the point where the combine fractures. For example, maybe the leaders of the race of Trolls don't like how things are going and decide to say 'fuck this shit, we're our own nation now.' Maybe the God of Death (in some form) has indeed established a presence on the continent while the combine nations were absent, and as cities grow larger you begin to see NPCs pop up in dark alleys that have switched to the dark side and are recruiting.

I'd bet that they make it difficult at first to simply take off and hang out with the gnolls, perhaps since you can't learn anything new from them, for example, but developments like the ones I dreamed up will allow for evil characters (and bad-guy gameplay) to emerge over time.

All of that is purely my own speculation. The only thing I heard that backs any of it up was during the initial reveal when ponytail mentions something about a "civil war" potentially being a part of the storyline.

---

In the end, I really don't think the lore is gonna have much bearing on whether or not this game is fun (and therefore successful). Clearly, success or failure will largely hinge on the combat mechanics and quality of the new and improved artificial intelligence they are claiming to have up their sleeves. If that shit all blends together and ends up being fun in a way that promotes teamwork, then it won't matter as much whether God A or Deity B is featured.

Really looking forward to that combat doc. Pretty curious as to what they've got (or don't got) at this point.